New 1990's Ruger M77 MKII .338 Win Mag with BP stock issues.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Smokepole50

Bearcat
My Dad gave me a .338 Win Mag that he won years ago at a Elk's Banquet. I have shot it about 10 times with some Federal 210 Nosler Part. factory ammo and IIRC it grouped around 1.5 inches at 100 yards. This think kicks like a mule with the boat paddle stock and I would like to ring out all the accuracy I can get out of it plus tame the recoil. I plan to work the trigger soon and I just ordered dies, brass and bullets.

What I am wondering is would a HS Precision stock with aluminium bed help significantly with the accuracy? I know it will help with the recoil being heavier then the factory BP stock but will that solid aluminium recoil bed be better then the plastic recoil lug in the BP stock?

I can steel bed the plastic BP stock with some Devcon but that still leaves the narrow shoulder breaking buttplate. I swear that rifle kicks more then my 35 Whelen with its original VZ-24 metal butt plate. Has anyone ever built up the width of the butt stock area so a good recoil pad will fit it?

Thanks, Smokepole50

Smokepole50

Bearcat
I guess what I am asking is.........based on your experience will the HS Precision Aluminium bedded ($300) stock improve accuracy through a better recoil lug engagement design and a adaquate recoil pad???

If no significant accuracy improvement has been noted with a HS Prec. stock then maybe it would be money better spent to use plenty of Devcon epoxy with some lead shot mixed in as bedding. I could then design some sort of flared recoil pad sub base that will fit the original light weight shoulder breaking Boat Paddle stock so a good recoil pad can be installed. I like everyone else enjoy's a light rifle, especially climbing a mountain but the recoil of this rifle as is determental to accuracy because that little voice in the back of your mind says......get ready!

gunners

Single-Sixer
1.5@ 100 is good for a hunting rifle see what improvement you get from your hand loads and the trigger work first before you go wasting money unnecessary. From what I've read on these forums re-bedding free floating the barrel on a Ruger may or may not improve accuracy

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
MY .338 wm kicks like a mule even with an aftermarket fiberglass stock. Its the chambering not just the stock design.

Smokepole50

Bearcat
Thanks for the input Gunners. I may be jumping the gun just a bit after becoming somewhat recoil sensitive from working up loads for a HVA 9.3x62 that weights about 7 lbs.

I like holes touching at 100 yards with all my high power rifles that I hunt with. The trigger work and some neck sized hand loads will probably get me to MOA but I would like to see holes touching out of such a long range rifle. I have a whole host of deer killing rifles and calibers that don't kick half as hard as this thing. If I keep it I want this rifle to reach out and hammer Whitetails or Elk at 500 yards. I know that is very good shooting but I keep reading about these M77 MkII rifles shooting 1/2" groups at 100 so the original MKII Ruger barrels must be pretty good.

Smokepole50

Smokepole50

Bearcat
Buckeyeshooter.......

I understand the significance of the .338 Win Mag loading. I have hunted with a 7mm Mag for years. What I am trying to get rid of is the " snap" recoil that very light rifles deliver, especially rifles with narrow recoil pads.
Dangerous game rifles are usually meant to be carried a lot and shot little so they usually don't weight much. I think this boat paddle butt stock was meant for the Brooks Range and fast close range shooting.

Smokepole

picketpin

Buckeye
Uh, you think there jut MIGHT be a reason they discontinued the stock???

I've owned exactly one BP. I happened into a store one day that had the wrong price on the bps. They had posted the 10-22 price on a couple. I pointed it out to the guy behind the counter called the manager and he said Yep, that's the price. So I paid $139 for a 7mm Rem Mag 77 BP.

I took it to the range and fired it exactly 5 times and sold it. I didn't like the design in 7mm Mag. I can't imagine it in 338 and I shoot a bunch of 338s.

Wait till you crank some 250s out of it at an elk. I personally would retire the stock in case I ever wanted to sell the rifle and install the next generation factory glass stock and a GOOD recoil pad. What's the difference in weight, a few ounces??

Ross

gunners

Single-Sixer
you cold try lighter bullets such as Barnes tsx or hornady gmx in the 185gr weight range with a slower burning powder might help the recoil a bit. But you'll probably be running a fare bit short of it's potential.
I have a 338 Win mag hawkeye on the way myself in stainless laminate same as my 7mm rem mag.

Major T

Blackhawk
I recently saw a for sale Caucasian walnut stock for a Ruger taken off an African model. That would be a good way to go. Boyd's and others can supply you with a nice wood stock to add a little heft. My last lightweight .338 had a nice Pachmayer Deaccetlerator on it and it was not bad with 210 Noslers and 200 grain bullets of whatever brand. It was still a hand full when loaded with 250s stoked according to Elmer Keith. IMO, the BP stock was not a good way to go on anything much over 7-08. Best wishes, jack

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Smoke, I own several of these rifles, including a .338Mag. I always put a pad between me and the rifle when doing bench work. That helps a lot. Unlike Ross, I don't have a lot of natural padding on my shoulder ;-)

With that said, I never notice the recoil on a shot on game.

I also move the scope a bit forward of the best view position to give me some leeway if I happen to have to shoot prone.

Smokepole50

Bearcat
Well......good or bad I have a HS Precision stock on the way to my house. They are on sale and the sale ends Monday so I had to make a call and the better stock won out I think. I just wish it would have been cheaper.
Once I get the rifle dialed in maybe I'll go back to the BP stock and see if I can make it shoot better in that stock.

Smokepole

picketpin

Buckeye
Smoke: I suspect the shooter is the single biggest variable in accuracy shooting the stock as made. Even with my "well padded shoulder" recoil is a limiting factor.

Once I get to the big 7s and up, I don't do a LOT of load work. I find one that works and quit. Once a year I fire 5 to make sure everything is still dialed in.

Frankly going to lighter bullets in a 338 is sort of silly. If you want to shoot 180s, shoot a big 30 and it'll generate at least as much speed with a MUCH higher BC. I shoot 250s in all my 338s. If I want a lighter bullet I go to a smaller caliber with a higher BC.

Even with 250s a guy doesn't really feel it when standing up on his hind legs shooting with his mind focus on the animal, not the recoil.. Prone is a different matter but MOST of us have higher ground cover than tundra. ;-)

Frankly, even if it's not one iota more accurate, I think you made a wise choice. I too no longer LIKE to have the ........... .thumped out of my shoulder.

Ross

I hunted with a M77 MKII .338 win Mag for a number of years. To tame the recoil, I installed a Hogue overmolded stock with the aluminum pillar bedding block. Cost was about $135, I think.

By doing nothing else, the recoil was dampened very significantly, almost to 30-06 levels. The stock added about a pound or so to the weight which also helped.

Also, after experimenting with several factory loads, I found the Remington Corelokt 225 gr factory loads to be the most accurate. Consistently under an inch at 100 yds, and very effective on Elk. I gave that rifle to my Son for a birthday gift and he won't use anything else for his go to Elk gun.

Just my experience......

Dave

Titleist

Bearcat
I just finished fitting an HS Precision stock to a MK II magnum. I had to dremel the safety and trigger areas a bit and clean up the aluminum before the action would fit. It seems to be a good stock. The recoil pad is not as soft a I had hoped, but the extra weight (9 oz. more than the factory stock) should help with recoil.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
Smokepole50 said:
Buckeyeshooter.......

I understand the significance of the .338 Win Mag loading. I have hunted with a 7mm Mag for years. What I am trying to get rid of is the " snap" recoil that very light rifles deliver, especially rifles with narrow recoil pads.
Dangerous game rifles are usually meant to be carried a lot and shot little so they usually don't weight much. I think this boat paddle butt stock was meant for the Brooks Range and fast close range shooting.

Smokepole

Well-- I would much rather shoot my 77 in 458wm with 500's than shoot the 77 in 338wm with 250's. The 'snap' is what gives it the hurt. It kicks worse than my 375H+H and 470 capstick too.

suckersrus

Bearcat
Smokepole50 said:
Well enough said. I will be ordering a new stock this today as my 51 year old shoulder does not need the additional pounding.

I have owned one BP and hated it so much I sent it to the dump and replaced it with a Boyds.

I was just over in another thread where we were talking about accuracy. I don't usually refer to another thread but my post may be something to consider with your new stock.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=129132

I'm retired now and have moved to SW VA. I'm in Max Meadows, what you near?

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
I think the biggest improvement youd see is by fitting a limbsaver pad to it. No matter what you do its going to kick a bit more then a 7mag.

Con

Bearcat
Lloyd Smale said:
I think the biggest improvement youd see is by fitting a limbsaver pad to it.

That's only half the solution ... the other half is with the pad off, you fill the hollow where your cheek rests with some lead, and balance it with some up front under the barrel.

Adding weight will help with slowing down the 'snapiness' of the recoil. The narrow butt is always a disadvantage though.
Cheers...
Con

hawk_driver

Single-Sixer
I had a 358 Norma built on a MRC 1999, tried it in a McMillan. It currently sits in a Accurate Innovations laminated stock. Recoil is much more enjoyable, if you could call it that. The extra weight of the laminate soaks up enough recoil to make it actually fun to shoot.