New 10/22 Takedown Here

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NixieTube

Blackhawk
I'll update this post with photos and more details this evening, but wanted to start it off:

I couldn't resist, I took the plunge. Never having had a .22 semiauto rifle, I saw the 10/22 TD and convinced myself (I didn't have to try very hard) to give the new arrival a try. I picked it up (Serial # in the 359-44XXX range) this morning from my local gun shop and paid $325 (+sales tax), taking the last one in the shop, having watched 3 others go during the past 10 days or so via their website.

Here's a first photo. Basic, I know, but there will be more coming. This shows what's in the package, minus the manual and the locking device and padlock. The ammo. in the magazine is Eley Sport. The locking device is probably going to go to a Jeff Quinn type use, I have others. I took this with a Samsung camera, my good digicam had dead batteries when I turned it on. But there will be more, and target photos also. Click photo for larger. It's a nice package overall. I'm pleased.

The initial inspection looks good. There are no visible scratches or obvious deformities or problems with any of the cast or machined pieces. There's a little bit of a seam in the molded stock that I might address in a couple of places. The magazine snaps in and out perfectly and loads easily. The bolt cycles, locks and unlocks properly, and the barrel lockup seems solid at the factory "2 clicks more" recommended setting. Takedown and reassembly are as easy and quick as it looks in all the various videos you've seen - just remember to lock the bolt back.

Speaking of which -- Is it just me or is the bolt lock/release lever design fussy and a little futzy and clumsy? Mine works and everything, now that I've gotten used to it, but it's not as slick as the takedown mechanism and that's too bad. I'll get used to it but I was surprised that it was clumsier than the magazine release and the takedown mechanism, both of which are intuitive.

[Update: I now see that the 10/22 TD has an extended magazine release compared to other models, and although I never used an earlier one, I like the one on the 10/22 TD. It's easy to operate, but not too easy. My first accessory purchase is going to be one of those magazine "conjunction junction" couplers that snaps three of the standard rotary magazines together with 120 degrees between them and of course 2 extra rotary magazines. All together that will cost about $40.]

I like the carrying case/backpack a lot, it's a very nice touch with lots of room and I dig it completely -- but like some others I really wish Ruger had included another strap. C'mon, guys! Why put the extra D rings on there if you don't give us the 2nd strap?

Handling the rifle, the first things that hit you are the clean lines, the slimness of the package, its compactness and the *light weight*. The barrel lockup goes through with a good, substantial "snap!" which makes you feel good, but the overall light weight of the rifle had me a little worried at first in terms of stability. It doesn't feel flimsy or insubstantial - it's more "light but solid" in the manner of a good mountain bike - but it's lighter than my RWS air rifle (Model 48, in .22) by quite a bit! It's also shorter, and the light weight had me worried.

Then I shouldered it. Surprising. It comes naturally to a very well balanced and beautifully stable sight picture, and feels like I could endure a stable standing position for a long time. The low mass lets you shift to the next target(s) quickly and the impression you get is that the gun is stable *and* nimble. Pulled against your shoulder everything snugs up and you can see and feel that you're going to be able to hit things with it, which builds confidence right away. I'd like a little more length of pull (Ruger, are you listening? How about some variable length rubber for the 'buttplate'?) and the comb could be a smidgen taller for me, but I suppose it's only a matter of time before someone starts building two-piece aftermarket stocks for these.

It actually feels more stable in standing position than my RWS does, at least when I start to get tired. The RWS is a beautifully made air rifle and I love it dearly, but nobody is ever going to mistake it for a lightweight toy, to put it nicely. Once the 10/22TD is on your shoulder it stays where you point it very well, and it's going to be a snap to tote around. And any semiautomatic rifle you can grab by the grip with one hand and raise to firing position on your shoulder with just one arm, quickly and stably, is a winner. It feels - if you'll pardon the comparison - a little like a well-balanced and solid pool cue stick, except one that shoots 22 long rifle bullets ;).

This rifle needs a sling. It should have sling studs installed (or at least include them with everything ready) from the factory because it handles so well and points so naturally that it *begs* to be slung and carried around when it's put together. I'm going to try the Uncle Mike's setup unless anyone has better recommendations. Drilling into the polymer stock does give me pause - any recommendations or dire warnings?

No targets yet but I want to take care of that very soon.

What's the word on dry-firing these from the collective wisdom here?

I'm going to give it a good clean and probably an inexpensive scope is next, although I have to say that the sight picture through the factory sights is so nice and stable that I know I'll be hitting well with them if the rest of the gun does its part. The scope will just serve to make my firing position a little more comfortable. I'd appreciate any recommendations and thoughts on the scope, sling, dry firing caveats, or any other words of sage advice and wisdom. It looks very nice so far and I'm very happy with it. It's a handy little gun, the takedown couldn't be much quicker or easier, it feels solid, and if it shoots as straight and stably as it holds, I'll be overjoyed.

Yeah I probably paid a little too much, but this is MA -- and I don't mind supporting my local dealers with a few extra bucks. Frankly they have no reason to discount them much, given their popularity now.

Let's see how this little gem does when I shoot it, but for right now I'm giving it a conservative 8.5 out of 10. If it had come from the factory with sling studs and the bolt lock/release lever was a little less futzy, it would have been a 9 or a 9.5, but one of those is an easy improvement and I can live with the other.

Oh, and yeah - did I mention that it's a *takedown rifle* and it splits in half in under 10 seconds and goes back together just as fast, with no tools and (at least so far for me) no drama and almost no effort at all? :D

More soon....

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Ethang said:
I just had a thought. You say it's lacking the other strap, and it needs a sling....

Yeah the backpack only comes with a single strap even though it's got 4 D-rings, two on each side of the back panel. I watched a video the other day on YouTube and the guy actually said he called Ruger to talk about it and they told him: "Well, we didn't really mean it as a backpack, it's more so you can sling the whole pack over 1 shoulder." Whatever.

And then the rifle itself doesn't have sling studs. I get it, I guess. It's a takedown rifle designed to be carried in the "slingpack" or whatever. But honestly: I'd prefer to pay Ruger $20 more, get 1 extra strap for the backpack and a couple of sling studs from the factory. It would just complete the package for me.

No big deal, I'll adapt.

Ethang

Blackhawk
My thinking is it's lacking another strap and a sling. If you can combine the two and have the sling be the other strap, or even the only strap it will kill two birds with one sling and not take up interior space in the case.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Ethang said:
My thinking is it's lacking another strap and a sling. If you can combine the two and have the sling be the other strap, or even the only strap it will kill two birds with one sling and not take up interior space in the case.

That's a good idea and it would save some cash and space.

Now I just want to get some rounds through the gun before I bless it and then promptly take a drill to the stock to mount the rear sling stud. Even if I screw up I should be able to fix it with epoxy, but I want to make sure all is truly well with the rest of the gun before I modify the stock. I think the Uncle Mike's front stud that attaches to the barrel band hardware will be fine.

I really want to put this gun to the test. So far it looks like it'll do just fine. I liked the way it sighted today, I was surprised that it felt so good for such a compact and lightweight gun. Now I know why Ruger has sold so many 10/22s over the years.

Hickok45 does some fun shooting with it, picking off cans and changing targets in rapid fire. He goes from a mid distance target and picks off a couple of soda cans right around 28 seconds in his video, with just the stock sights and no trouble at all. If mine's like his was and stays that way, I'll be tickled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVnxf73KKks

wingman

Single-Sixer
Damn I want one! :cry: They are so rare. Lucky man. I'm looking for one though. I think you got a great price on yours!

I saw one vid of a guy with the strap on the opposite cross-shoulder method of carry. That could get heavy on your neck though.

Anyone in the metro Detroit area know of any available, please PM me. I'd go for an online purchase as well.

NixieTube, sorry I didn't mean to take over your thread, I just can't help myself. :oops:

NixieTube

Blackhawk
wingman said:
Damn I want one! :cry: They are so rare. Lucky man. I'm looking for one though. I think you got a great price on yours!

I saw one vid of a guy with the strap on the opposite cross-shoulder method of carry. That could get heavy on your neck though.

I can offer a tip - it seems that quite a few MA shops and dealers jumped on the order bandwagon early and some of them might still have these guns in stock. Mine did, at least 4 or 5 of them until I bought the last one. You might be able to get one of them to part with one and transfer it to a dealer near you. I'll refrain from recommending any in public because I don't want their phones ringing off the hook and I don't want to single anyone out -- but Google works. With a little savvy and discernment you can identify the dealers/shops in MA that might have one.

Good luck with the hunt. I'm pleased with mine. I know, it's not manufactured to the wood-finished and blued steel romantic standards of a Marlin. It's not as beautiful a rifle. It doesn't have the lever, it doesn't have the hand-finished wood. However it *is* a very cool little gun in its own right, it seems solidly made, and I like it a lot.

I mean, you can grab the "backpack/slingpack" by the handle and just toss it around. I played catch with it today with my Dad, with the rifle inside. He walked in and said: "So let me see the new rifle..." and I picked up the pack and tossed it to him maybe 15 feet across the room: "Open it up, take a look." I wouldn't make a habit of doing that, but I know my Dad's a good catch, and it shows how wieldy the thing is and the pack protects it well...

Mine is not for sale. Not to rub it in or anything but I was literally watching them go 4...3...2...1... on the website and thought it was time to jump on it before they were on back order for 6 months. :)

paid4c4

Bearcat
The TD's look like great little rifles. I picked one up today at Bud's Guns in Lexington, KY. I was there to buy a silencer for a 22/45 Lite and noticed the TD hanging on the wall in the rifle section. They didn't have any in stock so I took the wall hanger which came with the box and all the accessories. The price was $349 which seems to be about the going rate. I hope to shoot it tomorrow. It sure is easy to take down and put back together. All in all seems to be a great addition to the 10/22 lineup. More after I shoot it.
Bill

NixieTube

Blackhawk
paid4c4 said:
The TD's look like great little rifles. I picked one up today at Bud's Guns in Lexington, KY. I was there to buy a silencer for a 22/45 Lite and noticed the TD hanging on the wall in the rifle section. They didn't have any in stock so I took the wall hanger which came with the box and all the accessories. The price was $349 which seems to be about the going rate. I hope to shoot it tomorrow. It sure is easy to take down and put back together. All in all seems to be a great addition to the 10/22 lineup. More after I shoot it.
Bill

Great I agree with you. This weekend I'll be at the range with mine to take some target photos. Everything looks great so far, I'm happy. $349 is still $40 off the MSRP and isn't bad - you didn't have to WAIT.

I have the feeling that once the ones already in the channel are sold, it's going to be several months wait to get one, that's why I jumped on mine. I know it's going to be a lot of fun to shoot and I've already gotten an "ooooh----ahhhhh" factor from a friend of mine I showed the gun to, which let's face it is priceless :).