New 10/22 are plastic

Help Support Ruger Forum:

martyj

Blackhawk
I was shown a new 10/22 by a disappointed gun dealer. They have a plastic barrel band and a plastic trigger housing and not real sure the trigger itself wasn't plastic.
He couldn't believe Ruger stooped so low ans wanted so much for it.

Certainly not NEW news, as we've discussed this, quite a while.

While I absolutely prefer the aluminum trigger group, I now own both types, and in function, there is no difference.

Wanted so much for it? At $177., they are cheaper than I've seen them in a long time.

WAYNO.

9x19

Hunter
martyj":ncuvawmg said:
I was shown a new 10/22 by a disappointed gun dealer. They have a plastic barrel band and a plastic trigger housing and not real sure the trigger itself wasn't plastic.

It doesn't stop there... I've even seen some with plastic stocks!

Next thing you know, they'll be making pistol frames from the same stuff!!!

:p

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Just think of all that god-awful plastic tactical stuff everyone is so proud to hang off their plastic "tactical" stocked AR's too. How could they? :roll:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Better be careful hittman, that's the old, obsolete composition plastic too not like the modern polymer stuff backed by fancy research. If this new stuff is so awful, I shudder to think how terrible that no-good ole 77 is. ;)

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
martyj":3ihoc6nl said:

This is new to you ? :)

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
Hey, give the guy a break, not all of us spend 3 hrs a day cruising RF just to see what Ruger is doing. Yes its a done deal and yes we have done it to death but martyj didn't know and thought he would share it with us. A little courtesy would be expected.

As pointed out it's 'normal' to be dismayed and disgusted to see that fine steel rifle is now being made partly of plastic... in that we all know plastic is another word for cheap...

until someone points out that most of the semiauto handguns sold today are.... plastic.. not to mention most evil black assault rifles.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
So ... my '72 Corvette is made from some type of plastic! I wonder if it will be worth anything 30 years from now?

The molded parts on the 10/22 guns are an engineering improvement. Get one, because waxing nostalgic doesn't keep Americans working.

toysoldier

Hunter
All this weeping and wailing over the switch from aluminum to plastic is kinda amusing. I'm not the oldest old fart on this forum, but I can remember the cries of outrage, gnashing of teeth and rending of clothing when American manufacturers started putting aluminum trigger guards and floorplates on their bolt guns. The Garcia Bronco and Armalite AR-7 were "cheap" .22's because they were made of "alloy".
Now, as others have pointed out, the in-demand "black rifles" are all made of aluminum and plastic. With the phenomenally successful Glock pistol leading the way, the aluminum-framed models that started easing out all-steel pistols are themselves being supplanted by polymer-framed designs.
The (arsenal rebuilt) Garands and 1911's of WWII are being used by a third generation, and earlier earlier Mausers, Springfields, SAA Colts, Remington Rolling Blocks, etc. are being used by 4th, 5th, even 6th generations. Will our "plastic" guns hold up as well? Only time will tell.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
RedLabel":3u22d17l said:
Hey, give the guy a break, not all of us spend 3 hrs a day cruising RF just to see what Ruger is doing. Yes its a done deal and yes we have done it to death but martyj didn't know and thought he would share it with us. A little courtesy would be expected.

And that's what I gave him. I asked a question. Is that, in any way, discourteous ?
confused-smiley-013.gif

5Wire

Single-Sixer
blume357":3o2vj24w said:
As pointed out it's 'normal' to be dismayed and disgusted to see that fine steel rifle is now being made partly of plastic...
The "fine steel" trigger assembly on the 10/22 was aluminum. Trying to pass. I guess ;)

Alienwordz

Bearcat
Where in China are they being made these days???? Or is Ruger one of the few companies still making them in the U.S. or maybe only assembling their guns in the U.S. from parts fabricated in China.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
Alienwordz":2emsr24g said:
Where in China are they being made these days???? Or is Ruger one of the few companies still making them in the U.S. or maybe only assembling their guns in the U.S. from parts fabricated in China.
Blame our own Congress for that. Part of the deal of China lending us money is for us to buy Chinese goods and services.

A

Anonymous

Not to get off the subject. The reason we have to borrow from China is because we have sent all of our jobs there. It is only going to get worse. I own a couple plastic guns. Never had any problems.