New 10/22 are plastic

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
5Wire":26um98xq said:
blume357":26um98xq said:
As pointed out it's 'normal' to be dismayed and disgusted to see that fine steel rifle is now being made partly of plastic...
The "fine steel" trigger assembly on the 10/22 was aluminum. Trying to pass. I guess ;)

The receiver is also aluminum and always has been.

Alienwordz":26um98xq said:
Where in China are they being made these days???? Or is Ruger one of the few companies still making them in the U.S. or maybe only assembling their guns in the U.S. from parts fabricated in China.

:roll: Neither the guns or parts are made in China.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
The China comment wasn't directed at Ruger, just in our economy in general. We need China's bux, they need us to buy their stuff. That's what our Congressional misrepresentatives have worked out for us.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
toysoldier":gtj0ka1d said:
Will our "plastic" guns hold up as well? Only time will tell.

Hi,

That's exactly what bothers me about a lot of this plastic stuff...

My oldest gun was made in 1929-30 depending on whose book I read. At 70 yrs old, it still comes out each year to go bird hunting. I have no reason to believe that if suitable ammo's still available, and barring a STEEL part breaking that can't be replaced, that gun couldn't be perfectly functional in ANOTHER 70 yrs.

Now, I'm not gonna be around then, so I 'spose the question's moot about how long it WILL be usable.

OTOH, the oldest "plastic parts" gun I have is a Mossberg 500 shotgun, coming up on 30 yrs old. It has the plastic trigger ass'y, which already shows the kind of discoloration that comes w/ age and indicates it's drying out. Maybe it's gonna be around another 30 yrs. Maybe not?

I guess much of one's feeling about "plastic where metal should be used" depends on the usage and personal philosophy about how long stuff oughta last.

Personally, I'd add that from a "tinfoil hat" viewpoint, plastic's tendency to degenerate on its own from the instant it leaves the mold plays right into the antis' hands: maybe they can't ban our guns outright, but if we voluntarily buy products that WILL self-destruct, they still win! It just takes a little longer...

Rick C

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
I wonder how much an M-16 would cost if it had to be machined out of steel today?

I have read that there are still M-16's from the Vietnam era being used today. I have no idea if that's true or not, but if so, I'd say the American taxpayer got their money's worth from them.

Speaking of the Remington Nylon 77, I just put a Nylon 66 on layaway. The gun looked pretty much like brand new. I've got no idea how old it is, but I can't find a serial number anywhere, which should indicate that it was made before the CGA of 1968.

I wouldn't worry too much about a plastic part on a 10/22.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
5Wire":2lpnj0w4 said:
The China comment wasn't directed at Ruger, just in our economy in general. We need China's bux, they need us to buy their stuff. That's what our Congressional misrepresentatives have worked out for us.

Not exactly. I have no use for either party in DC, but the final say on what China sends over here is the consumer. 98 percent of the shoes and boots sold in the US are made in China. That is because US consumers want cheap shoes. You can still buy American shoes and clothes if you want to. Same with tools, guns, ammo, and everything else. If you want to buy American you can. Last pair of boots I bought, I had to search the internet for them, but they are made in Wisconsin. You can't trust a good old American brand to be American made anymore either. However, if we try, we can buy American. Even some of our old gun makers now inport some of their products. Click here for help in finding American products:

http://www.americansworking.com/index.html

5Wire

Single-Sixer
No argument about the "final say" from me, Jeff. But there are more than one "final says" possible at the same time, both foreign and domestic, and I know from personal experience that trade agreements between countries are often tied to financial agreements such as borrowing money from China, Lend Lease to England and Russia, or oil drilling and processing equipment and expertise to Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries. Lumber, Commercial printing, customer service services, also have trade related avenues opened to foreign countries.

Buying American just to buy American sometimes simply rewards bad corporate behavior. I think of how the American Auto Industries deliberately avoided retooling to compete with what the final sayers said they wanted. Consequently, Toyota, Honda, and others achieved significant if not commanding market shares and they've held on to it.

The P-51 Mustang came into its own with an engine of foreign manufacture.

I'm a fan of Smith & Wesson wheelies, Ruger, Savage centerfires, Marlin lever guns but that doesn't stop me from favoring my H&K P7 M8 (German) or my Savage 93R17 (Canadian), not to mention the countries of origin for the Beretta M9 or the MP5/MP7.

Finally, at some point, as you point out, cost is a deciding factor but less expensive does not necessarily imply "cheap" in terms of quality.

(BTW: Did you find Timberland boots made a couple miles from where I live, or Limmer boots, also made in New Hampshire?)

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
I ended up buying a pair of Thorogoods made in Wisconsin.
What got me started was I needed some new boots, and my Harley-Davidson boots had served me well for a few years, so went to my H-D dealer and bought another pair. They felt good, looked good, so I brought them home. After I got home, I saw the tag inside that stated;"Made in China". I boxed them back up and returned them. That started my search for some American-made boots. In the end, both pairs cost about the same, somewhere in the $140 range, but I feel better wearing American boots. I want my clothes, my boots, my ammo, my trucks, my motorcycle, my tractor, my tools, my food, and my guns produced in America. I even found a television set last year that is made in California. The stuff is there if we will seek it out. I own some foreign stuff, and it is good stuff, but given a choice, I want American products.

You are correct. Our politicians sell us out everyday.