Neighbors?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

K1500

Single-Sixer
Every neighborhood has that one person. If you have problems with ALL the neighbors, that one person may be you :wink:

Seriously though, dogs using other people yard as a bathroom and barking are two major problems. I suppose it is good you clean up the dog feces ‘just to avoid any trouble’. It would be better to clean it up because it was the right thing to do, and best to strive to not let it happen at all. Clearly it annoys the neighbor that owns your dogs bathroom. Perhaps the other neighbors have similar problems?

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
Someone once said that the best neighbor you could have is a serial killer. Whenever a serial killer is caught and they interview the neighbors on the news it is always the same: " He seemed like such a nice young man. Never said much and mostly kept to himself."

I get along well with my neighbors, but at a cost.

I moved in here 25 years ago. The neighbors were mostly retired, or very close to it, including me. The neighbors were all great, and respected the neighborhood.

A little at a time, my neighbors have all timed out and moved away. I'm the only original neighbor left.

The new neighbors are all younger, some much younger, and they have little respect for our neighborhood or the neighbors. Subsequent generations have different priorities. We do not have a neighborhood association, but they signed an agreement when they moved in saying they would keep up their properties. Junk cars, unkept lawns, cars now lining the street, and rivlets of grease and oil now run across the sidewalks. And they all have barking dogs. I can't change them, so I just grimace and get along.

Some of them feed us. They watch our property when we're away. They drop everything to lend a hand when I need it.

Or I could raise a stink and be the old guy that everybody hates.

Thumbcocker said:
Someone once said that the best neighbor you could have is a serial killer. Whenever a serial killer is caught and they interview the neighbors on the news it is always the same: " He seemed like such a nice young man. Never said much and mostly kept to himself."

Very true. When my wife and I were first married, our first apartment was in Boise, the nice part of town there in the North End. Our apartment was across the street from a Meth house. Yes, they were quiet, it was all good until it burnt down. That’s how we found out what it was. I’m not in that lifestyle and never though about the cars coming and going all day long for just a few minutes. And then the band practicing downstairs. They had some fun parties...good times.

My neighbors are all pretty quiet, we'll say "hi" to each other but mostly mind our
own business. I like it that way.
Dogs are another issue, I don't say anything to their owners when they crap in my
yard, I've had good luck training them not to. Found the best training tool is my old
Crossman 760 pump gun. Wait till they're all lined up to dump and wack em!
Couple of times and they seem to find a better place. Only had one dog in some
25 years that required extra helpings of training, think I shot it 6 or 7 times
over a few weeks before it caught on. Had to escalate the pumps a bit to get
it's attention.
Dave

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Neighbors are one of the main reasons I chose to NOT live in town. Back when I had an idea that being a highly paid engineer was my goal, I finally came to the sad conclusion that to have that career(I had a relative working for a firm in KCMO who assured me of a job) I'd have to live in the city. After some deep soul searching (if I had a soul back then), I changed directions. Did some work for Uncle Sam which ended when I became unfit for service. Went back to the farm and stayed there where I didn't have to deal so much with neighbors. Lived on a dead end road for quite a spell which was fine, then moved here which was basically a dead end for years until the bridge was rebuilt.
I can be as gregarious and personable as anyone else until I'm not and having someone constantly within a few feet is NOT going to work for long.

We live in a neighborhood of about 200 homes. Neighborhood was developed in the '50's so the lots are large (ours is 1.5 acres). Almost all of our neighbors are great with a couple of exceptions. Over the past several years younger families are moving in, which I think is good. It is nice to see families riding bikes, jogging or walking in the neighborhood. We have 3 or 4 neighborhood events each year, fourth of July parade, Halloween strolls, summer ice cream socials and Santa visits the kids at Christmas time.

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
Neighbors,you can have mine,I'll even contribute to moving cost ! I moved out in the country 31 yrs ago,my closest neighbor,just under 1/4 mi. was a gentleman that 5 yrs ago passed away at 93.The young couple that bought the property have three kids between five and nine,now I live near a zoo ! :roll:

bogus bill

Hunter
We are not Mormon but live in a Mormon neighborhood. They are a fine people and a big help as I am laid up. We have no bad neighbors.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
I live in an apartment complex, one old dinosaur-me, a another family has been here almost as long. A pleasant mix of 2 and 3 generation families, working and middle class. I find watching the kiddies play is more entertaining than watching TV. No rowdies or party people.

Another funny story about the neighbor lady next door. One time, years ago, she was going to have a party. She was telling me about all the people. I remarked, very nicely, "Well, they can park in front of my house, it won't bother me." She scoffs, and replies: "Well, it IS a public street."

I remember this specifically, because:

About two years later, we remodeled our kitchen. She complained to me about all the construction workers parking in front of her house. She made me tell them to not park (remember, public street) in front of her home.

Just to avoid trouble, and not because it was the right thing to do, I didn't say anything back to her, and told the construction workers to not park there. I figured I would have to live next to her long after they would be gone.

It's a funny story my wife and I laugh about from time to time.

This lady is actually pretty nice. Her husband has Alzheimer's, so she has enough to deal with.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Good neighbor experience:

I was cutting down dead trees and burning a big brush pile when two 60-something ladies and a couple 5-8 year old girls show up out of the blue. They introduced themselves, dropped off a home made banana bread and exchanged contact info.

One of them commented: "We walked around your closed gate. I hope we're not trespassing." I replied "Pay no attention to the gate. It's not meant to keep neighbors out!" Very nice people.