Need to know, tonight!!...... decision made

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have the opportunity to purchase one of two Ruger #1's. One is a #1V, 130 prefix chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. The other is a 1B chambered in 257 Roberts. Strange as it seems, both are liberty guns. The 130 prefix should be pre-76, correct?

Both have beautiful wood and are in great condition. Opinions? :?

Dave :)

picketpin

Buckeye
The 7mm Mag "V" is the rarer of the two. That is if the 257 is NOT really a true 130 serial numbered gun. If it's actually a 130 it's very RARE and if it's below 130-10,000 it's EXTREMELY RARE. If that were the case I would say that there are lots and lots of 7mm Mag "V" rifles. I just sold an extra one and have owned five 7mm Mag "V"s over the years. There is another really really nice 7mm Mag "V" on GB right now.

I would bet against the 257 being correct. The 257 Roberts was not a cataloged item until 1980!!!! That is the 132 serial range. I own several #1 "B"s in 257 Roberts most are 132 guns I have to say without bragging that it took me at least 40 years to find the few I have with really low, serial numbers, made prior to 1980. I have three that were made well before it was cataloged. So it's possible but............. I have the only 130- serial numbered 257s I've ever actually even seen that will letter but suspect there are proabably a few others out there, I just haven't seen them. There is also one non pre fix 257 Roberts but that's another story. ;-)

The 7mm Mag "V" was cataloged from 1973 -1978 Is rare/uncommon and desirable to collect especially if you are focusing on "V" rifles. If not it's interesting but a lot of recoil for a varmint rifle. Right now, given the age of the guys that bought them in the late 70s they are starting to show up on the market a lot more than in past years.

I use my 7mm Mag and 300 Win Mag "V"s for the occassional coyote.

good luck

Ross

I would be very very very skeptical of a "200 Year" #1 in 257 Roberts. Get the serial number if at all possible because I for one would sure like to check it with the factory. THAT I would be interested in if correct.

A

Anonymous

Heliman":3dn9r90a said:
Yes, the Roberts was not a liberty gun. Because I wanted it, I bought the 1V, 7mag. Wish I could have purchased both, but not funds available at this time........... :(

What kind of money did they want for the Roberts?

Jackie Treehorn":gzcelm4u said:
Heliman":gzcelm4u said:
Yes, the Roberts was not a liberty gun. Because I wanted it, I bought the 1V, 7mag. Wish I could have purchased both, but not funds available at this time........... :(

What kind of money did they want for the Roberts?

Just $675, same for the 7mm.......no boxes for either, but included the scope rings. Oh for lack of funds..........I would have loved to had both. :)

Dave :wink: