Need some questions answered

Help Support Ruger Forum:

EricandSuebee

Single-Sixer
So I injured my shoulder and wrist at work and I am in no way going to be able to handle a 44 magnum anymore so I've always liked the look of the Colt Python but its price tag is out of my league, so I was wondering do any other companies put out a similiar look like the python? I was hoping the GP series had the look but they don't.

Hugh

Buckeye
I'm partial to the Six series in .357. However, you might want to try .44 Spl if you don't want to get another revolver.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
One of the things that make a Python special are its looks. It's hard to come close in anything else. And I don't even own one...

I realize this is Ruger Forum, but if I had to pick a close twin it would have to be a S&W 686. Of course, that's not much closer than a full lug GP100...

But I'll add another vote for just loading the maggy down to Special levels. It'll have less recoil and blast than .357.

Then again, you only live once. If you want a Python, you just might have to scratch that itch...

-- Sam

EricandSuebee

Single-Sixer
I appreciate all the replies and I know its a Ruger forum and I hope I wasn't treading on anyones toes talking about Python looks I meant no trouble just was looking for advise on either a ruger gun that looked like it or something else similiar, thank you for the info about the Security Six, GP100 series and someone mentioned to me the king cobra as well.

TexNekkid

Bearcat
You can have Python lockwork for a lot less money by finding an original Colt Trooper (not the Mark III Trooper). It won't look like a Python, because it doesn't have as nice bluing or the shroud and ventilated rib.

Here's a comparison. First, the Trooper:

troopersmall.jpg

The Python:

pythonpb.jpg

Cholo

Staff member
The only gun I know of that "looks" like a Python is a Colt Diamondback. They are a bit pricey, though not so much as a Python.

maxpress

Buckeye
i would agree with loading down to .44spl. after working in rehab for a few years and knowing that the .357 has a sharper snap then the big bores i would say thats not what you would want to do with a shoulder tear. the fertyfer spl is a push rather than a snap and will not jolt the tendons and muscle fibers as much.
now my right brain is going to say that this is as good a time as any to learn to shoot southpaw.

EricandSuebee

Single-Sixer
Yeah I hear you guys, I think I just have always been a .357 person and this being my first 44 yeah it was cool to shoot the one I shot but don't think its for me, so its going up for sale.

A

Anonymous

This is a good argument for learning to shoot with your 'weak' hand. I injured my hand a few years ago and felt moved to persue learning to use my weak hand.After some initial frustration, I succeeded.
Now I practice weak hand shooting whenever I go to the range. I compete with myself. Fun and practical! :D

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Jimbo357mag":1r39yg8p said:
...and Taurus has a few offerings with vented ribs and that similar look.
I've got a Taurus 669, circa 1990, that's a direct clone of the S&W 586. Made on the same equipment, for that matter. I've seen these used on GB for less than $300. Very nice little guns.

The billboard on those Trackers can probably be removed with a Scotch-Brite pad and some oil... :D

-- Sam