Need some Ideas on 45-70 Brass

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G2

Hunter
Guys, and gals, I just came across a box of some stuff that was my fathers who passed long ago.
Subject; 45-70 Ammo and or Brass. There is;
126pcs R-P;
60ea is loaded from primed brass cases in RP Boxes, and 27ea green box ammo. Green box looks factory 405 gr soft point. 20ea loaded lead bullet. 19 brass

18pcs WRA ammo and some empty brass in Winchester Red/Yellow box.

15pcs W-W- 12/ammo solid lead bullet 3/brass, loose.

The only Gun he owned that shot this was a Springfield 1873 Trapdoor, I have no "REAL" Idea what the loads are other than there is a lable on one box; 30 grns H4227 and 24 grns 2400 on another.

162 pcs all in all,
. . . .and I have a box of 20 once fired BHA that I shot thru another gun a year ago. Let's throw it in too.

182 pcs Total

Whew, with all that said, is there much a demand for 45-70, Brass, Ammo?
I thought I might buy a #3 in 45-70 this past Gun Show and shoot it, but makes more sense to just find this stuff a new home.

Any Idea's as to value, any interest? Thanks for your input. Greg

captainkirk

Blackhawk
I would go ahead and buy the #3 (or #1 or Marlin guide gun etc.). You will be money (fun) ahead in the long run. Heck, I bought a 30 Herret barrel for a Contender years ago just because I had some 375 winchester brass hanging around...

captainkirk

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
The 45-70 has gained a lot of popularity as of late and is a hoot to shoot (and load for). The down side with hand loaded ammo is that I will only shoot my own or from someone with a manufacturer's license. The brass is worth about $0.40 to $0.50 a piece.

bearden

Bearcat
If your looking to just get ride of it ,I will make an offer to take it off your hands.,sight unseen, 40.00, for the brass with shipping.
bearden

Charon

Single-Sixer
NEF also makes their Handi-Rifle in .45-70. It isn't as stylish as the Ruger #3, but it shoots quite well. And costs considerably less.

G2

Hunter
Thanks for the replies, I have been lookin for a gun to shoot it in. But last night ended trade'n for a Brass Grip Frame from a Forum Member. Got to luv it when a plan comes together. :D