Need some help in identifying a revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just Max

Bearcat
I have a Ruger that I cannot locate in the Blue Book. The box identifies it as catalog No. GF-33
It is a Stainless Police Service Six, .357 Mag., 3" barrel. All books only describe 2.75", 4", & 6" barrels.
It is like NIB with all manuals, papers, accys, etc. One small handling mark on right side behind trigger guard.
Appears to have only been test fired. Only 5 of the six chambers show evidence of firing.
I also have an extra set of grips in the Ruger box as well.

Can anyone help me in identifying what I have and maybe what is it worth. I have some more pics available if needed.
Thanks in advance!

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
Just a guess, but the U.S. Postal service sold off a bunch of 3" barreled revolvers several years ago, that were special ordered for them. I seem to remember that most of them were new, or nearly new. :?:

Earl.

Just Max

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if those USPS gus were marked in any way? There are no unusual stampings on this one. Do you know of any commercial sales of that model?

Just Max

Bearcat
Thanks. Was refered by a friend when I showed him what I had.
Serial number is 162-531XX. Will post a pic if I can figure out how.

Hugh

Buckeye
Just Max":2cithrju said:
I have a Ruger that I cannot locate in the Blue Book. The box identifies it as catalog No. GF-33
It is a Stainless Police Service Six, .357 Mag., 3" barrel. All books only describe 2.75", 4", & 6" barrels.
It is like NIB with all manuals, papers, accys, etc. One small handling mark on right side behind trigger guard.
Appears to have only been test fired. Only 5 of the six chambers show evidence of firing.
I also have an extra set of grips in the Ruger box as well.

Can anyone help me in identifying what I have and maybe what is it worth. I have some more pics available if needed.
Thanks in advance!

Hi,

This may be what you have.

rugerpoliceservicesixwiax4.jpg

I was looking for a 2-3/4" blue Security Six and this one fell in my lap. I don't know what it's worth but to me it's worth more than $450.

Just Max

Bearcat
Hugh, That is exactly what I have without the Houge grips. I thought maybe I had something unique.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Hugh

Buckeye
Just Max":67nxiusz said:
Hugh, That is exactly what I have without the Houge grips. I thought maybe I had something unique.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Hi Max,

You'll note te original small factory grips there on the box. I really like the Hogues on this one when shooting Magnums. Looks like 1988 date of manufacture, because that's the last of the date range (SN 162-xxx. May have been made later. I guess I'll have to call the ladies at Ruger to find out the particulars. I didn't get the manual, however I'm sure one will turn up one of these days. I already have the manual for my Security Six so it doesn't really matter. I'll get an appropriately dated manual to keep with the box and the Ruger grips.