Need some help/advice; double rifle/shotgun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Brother_Love

Single-Sixer
I was in one of my favorite pawnshops today and a I found a double rifle/shotgun. It is a Stevens 16 gauge/25-35 Ackley Improved. It has a custom peep sight and scope bases and ramp front sight. It is a deep blue with a nice walnut stock/forearm. I would call it 95-97%. The man who sold it said it was his father's firearm and Stevens made it for him.

Could it be a factory/custom gun? It is very nicely done. The pawn shop wants $850 for it and I want it but I would like to learn a little avbout it if I can.

Thank you

oyeme

Bearcat
I just saw your post but if the gun is in as good a condition as you indicate; I would buy it immediately!! It sounds like a really great gun to have and to learn to actually use. Good luck and great find!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Stevens made a lot of "working class" side-by-side shotguns but I don't know of any rifle/shotgun combinations made by them. Savage, now their parent company, made the Savage M24 O/U but I don't think any of these were ever 16 ga or chambered for the 25-35 in any form.

I wonder if a gunsmith sleeved one of the shotgun barrels with a rifled insert.

pete44ru

Hunter

A double-barrel gun with one smoothbore/shotgun barrel and one rifle barrel is referred to as a "combination gun" here, and as a "Cape gun" in Europe.

A pic or three might I.D. exactly what you have.(a picture IS worth a thousand words ;) )

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Specs said:
My son owned a Savage/Stevens O/U 20g / 22MAG turkey getter.
Yeah, Savage made the M24 in a huge variety of rifle/shotgun combinations, including the one you mention, but I don't think 16 ga/25-35 was ever one of them.

Latest posts