Need some advice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

climber211

Bearcat
All,

New to forum, and just purchased a used GP100 (stainless) from my local gun store. Been looking for one for quite awhile, so I'm quite stoked that I finally had a chance to purchase one.

The questions I have, since it was used (police carry) and this is my first Stainless weapon:

1-I have Small scratches that I want to buff out - how?
2-Polish the gun and get rid of the tarnish (like shiny things)?
3-Fix the rubber grips to make them look new again?

I figured a Ruger forum would be the place to get excellent advice on the cleaning and care.

All and I mean all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Climber

56-210

Bearcat
climber211":2g4t3mnz said:
1-I have Small scratches that I want to buff out - how?
2-Polish the gun and get rid of the tarnish (like shiny things)?
3-Fix the rubber grips to make them look new again?

Climber

I'll put a web site at the end, look for the "how to buff" link...That should/will address your 1&2 question...I'm restoring a '56 Chevy and i have 53 year old SS trim that I have restored to a tick or two from a show quality finish... :D Lot a work!

Don't know about restoring rubber grips, other than to buy a new set to match the shiny gun ya just buffed out...

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/index.html

Mark

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Lots of people like Scotch-Brite pads for polishing up stainless. The thing is, most stainless finishes aren't high polish, they're brushed, matte, or something else. If you just take polishing compound and a wheel (or Dremel, or cloth) you can clean up a dull spot, but it'll likely be shinier than the rest of the gun. The Scotch-Brite will often leave the finish with the brushed look that's more common. You might even be able to match the existing finish.

If you want the whole gun to be a high polish/bright stainless look, then yes, by all means look at polishing compounds, wheels, etc. Flitz and Simichrome work well.

Back when I did such things, I found Turtle Wax Chrome Polish works great for taking off discoloration, the soot on the front of the cylinder, etc.

-- Sam

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Yosemite Sam":f3lz2zsr said:
Back when I did such things, I found Turtle Wax Chrome Polish works great for taking off discoloration, the soot on the front of the cylinder, etc.

-- Sam

Nothing, NOTHING works as well as Eagle One Nev-R-Dull polish. It comes in a round silver tin with black printing, it's in the automotive section. This is one of the only things that will clean caked on exhaust soot from stainless exhaust tips on cars, soot on the front of the cylinder is a piece of cake.

It comes as a big piece of wadding saturated with the polish. You tear off a small piece (about 3/4" diameter) and just rub it on the soot. You'll be amazed how quick it disappears. The wadding absorbs the soot, keep turning to clean spots til the whole wad is black.

56-210

Bearcat
You guys relize, you just made me run up to autozone and buy some NEVR-DULL...tyvm...

edit: Ah, btw it works... :D

Mark

Two Dogz

Bearcat
Almost twenty years out of the Navy and I can still smell NEV-R-DULL as I sit here. Whose bright idea was it to put all of that brass on a seagoing vessel in any case?

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
To restore the rubber grips go down to your local auto parts place (O'Riley, NAPA, the same place you bought Nver dull, etc.) and buy a product called Back to Black. It is for the rubber trim on cars and motorcycles. It will restore the oxidized rebber back to dark black and a bit shiney. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier as I would have saved you a trip.

Do NOT use this product on the sidewalls of motorcycle tires -- you will fall down!

Latest posts