Need some advice on value of a gun.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
I went to the gun show today, and found something that interests me. I'm not familiar with the early Ruger double actions, but I found a Security Six, 4", half-lug, heavy barrel, w/target grips. that appears to be NIB, although there is a slight turn ring on the cylinder. I examined the front of the cylinder, very carefully, and the bluing seems to be immaculate. No signs of any burn rings from being fired. The guy was asking fot $475.00 for it. Does that sound like a reasonable price?

Thanks for your help,
EarlFH

PS. I'm considering going back tomorrow for it.

ncspeedsix

Single-Sixer
Hi Earl,
I recently bought a stainless NIB service six 4 inch for $400 all in, but the guy had a bunch of them he bought from an estate so this might account for the somewhat lower price. $475 or higher is the going price right now over on gunbroker for a NIB service six. A couple of years ago, they could be found for under $300, but have recently surged in popularity. They were discontinued in favor of the GP100 (which might have a lot to do with the current demand), but you will not found a better made double action that is built for hard use and full magnum factory loads over the long haul. My suggestion- try to talk the seller down to the $425 range, but $475 is not too unreasonable for a gun that will last a few generations.
Best,
ncspeedsix

contender

Ruger Guru
While I think it's a bit high for my local area,, if you like the gun,, why not buy it? A wise man once told me,, "You never pay too much,, just too early." Finding one in the shape you described,, it's a nice find.

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
My first thought was that $475 seemed a bit high. I have recently seen NIB, blue, security six rugers with adj. sights in 357 go for as low as $375 OTD. You could maybe ask for $425 OTD and see if he bites.

I happen to really like those guns and think that the current market price on them offers great value. I would try to get it if I were you. Just try to skim the price down a bit. Let us know what happens.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replys. The dealer seemed to think that the heavy barrel, and the target grips made the gun worth more. He claimed it was the first one he had seen, and that that model had been discontinued in about 1982, or there about. I'm still debating on whether to go back to the show tomorrow, or not.
EarlFH

Latest posts