Need some advice on pricing these guns for sell.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aarel

Bearcat
I am thinking of selling my set of Ruger Vaquero .45 LC Revolvers. These guns come as consecutive serial numbers, but my guns hold 001 & 002 of the lot. They are customized by Ruger with Case-hardened frame, stainless grip frame, hammer, and trigger; as well as blueing on the barrel. They came with a walnut stained wooden display case, and the guns have been fired 6 rounds each.

You may PM me, or directly reply here, thank you for any advice you may give. Pictures follow.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
And they've been fired.

I'd say take the original purchase price and add $100 for the case. Unique, very cool, but not NIB as so many collectors demand. This is a perfect example of why I never make any profit on handguns...

WANT A LCR 22LR

Bearcat
mohavesam said:
And they've been fired. quote]

Being factory guns are proof tested with very hot loads, a " Never been fired " gun does not exist. And being they are dry fired at the factory, a uncycled gun does not exist.

Aarel

Bearcat
:D Thanks very much for all input and yes I have always been one to point
out to others about the cycling, dry firing and test firing of factory rugers. The guns where bought by my brother from a local dealer and we shot some
cowboy loads thru each one on a shoot outing. I then traded my brother some guns he wanted for the set. The catalog # was mentioned on this post,
but I do not have it. He purchased the set for approx. 1400.00 6 years ago.
I was just trying to find out a price to use, if I decide to sell.
I don't really like to sell rugers, LOL I would prefer to buy. The only thing
is with our current economy and fantastic government situation, well sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Thanks Guys and Happy Easter to All!!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
*sigh*
Please feel free to comment about "all guns being fired at the factory". There may be someone alive who does not understand that. But there is a line in the post about "six shots each" which is recognizeably a reference to firing 'he knows about'. IRL, firing such a "special" gun usually depletes potential value. Certainly unfired ("MINT" or "100%") handguns bring a few pesos less than one which has been to the range.

My post stating "and they've been fired" is a quote from the original post.

His query was about value, to which I appear to have the only opine posted to date...

resident

Single-Sixer
These guns are in "like new" condition, obviously. However, they ARE used guns. It makes no difference if they've been fired 6 rounds, or 60 rounds except perhaps for a fine-line which may/may not be found on the cylinders. They are now used guns.

What are they worth? Well... they're worth what they sold for new. And that's about all. In another 50 years it will make little difference whether they were fired 6 rounds or not, and by then they will be so rare (relative to the increased population/number of folks willing to buy them) that someone who inherited their Daddy's Exxon/Mobil holdings will spend a lot of that unearned cash for them. Easy come, easy go.

But if I wanted two, very nice Ruger SA's in .45 for the real reason they were made, I'd pay $1400 for them. And I'd shoot them at a cowboy shoot and at feral hogs and enjoy them. Then in another 50 years, someone will still pay a bunch of money for them, because I take care of all my guns and keep them in very close to the same condition I got them.

Quit fishing. Are they for sale or not? :wink:

CraigC

Hawkeye
According to the serial number these are early 2000 production. The part I have a problem with is "customized by Ruger". Ruger does not and has never operated a custom shop, nor do they accept "custom" orders. They have also been round-butted. Ruger certainly doesn't do that! I would opine that these were bought as a consecutive set and altered after the fact with stainless steel parts. I could always be wrong but I have a really hard time believing that they left Ruger in their present condition. I also have a hard time believing that you will ever get $1400 for them.

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, Ruger did have a custom shop. They called it their "Studio of Art and Decoration", but same difference. You could get just about anything done to any Ruger straight from the factory.
The problem I see here is though you would need a factory letter on those guns in order to make them worth what you are wanting for them. Parts can be purchased from the factory and many have done this, but if you get the factory letter that says these guns had the work done to them exactly as they appear today, then you've got something.
Without it, they're an "after factory customization".
I do note the case is interesting...never seen one like it before.
And....if you can get that factory letter, please PM me the info so I can document these in the Ruger reference that I keep track of...will help to answer the questions of future owners in the future, and make them worth more.
Chet15

COR

Blackhawk
That box is very cool for sure. That is also some great info on Ruger's "custom shop".

You learn something everyday on here. Well, as long as you listen, you can learn something. :wink:

Latest posts