need shooting glove

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jimhoff

Bearcat
What shooting glove would give a lot of protection to the back of the middle finger from the trigger guard? I know I was all magnum in another thread but my hand still hurts :oops:

s4s4u

Hunter
I use the Past glove and it works well. Real good padding in the web, enough on the bird to ease the pain there a little. Have you thought about different grips?

jimhoff

Bearcat
I've had different grips through the years and the .44 has hit my middle finger no matter the grip. The Past glove seems thin on the back of the middle finger. If I hold the revolver really tight I don't get the smack but accurCy suffers.

Dale53

Blackhawk
This is the Ruger forum so I will discuss my middle finger knuckle regarding the recently acquired 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum and the .44 Lipsey Special. I had planned to buy Pachmayr grips for these revolvers. Much to my surprise I learned that not only were they not being made but Pachmayr had no intention of making any for these grip frames. Same thing with Hogue's.

Even my .44 Lipsey with target loads bangs my knuckle and with increasingly heavier loads it just gets worse. If I grip with my little finger curled under the grip it is not too bad but I do NOT find that a natural hold.

Out of the blue, a good internet friend (WhatCheer), sent me a set of Pachmayr grips for the Colt SAA. He had tried them on his Ruger .44 Lipsey Special and told me that they fit rather well. He has small hands and they are too large for him (they have a filler behind the trigger guard and cover the back strap). I have large hands and these grips work perfectly and fit pretty dern well (not perfect, but decent).

My complaints are OVER! Unfortunately, Pachmayrs have discontinued these, also :x . What can I say??

Dale53

Rclark

Hunter
Seems like Taffin tapes his knuckle when shooting full house stuff.... I don't shoot much hot stuff and when I do I don't seem to experience the knuckle problem. Must be different hand sizes or something.

The day I decide to put rubbers on my SA sixguns is the day I hang up my shooting irons for good.... which will be the day they lay me six feet under.... which means I never did decide :) .

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
It's not a shooting glove, but user 41 Magnum makes and sells extended grip panels for the Anniv model frame. I have a set on my Lipsey's .44, and they're quite comfortable.

Bad lighting, but I haven't had a chance to take another yet:

IMG_1216_lightened_small.jpg

Other than that I have heard good things about the Past glove. Someone else I know uses a bicycle glove with the half fingers.

-- Sam

maxpress

Buckeye
athletic tape is cheap and protects as well as a glove. i always fumbled around with catridges and sight screwdrivers to much with gloves and my sbh use to just nail my middle knuckle so i just started doing the michael jackson to my right middle finger with tape. still got a little bruised on extended sessions but i kept all my skin. and the rest of my fingers could still pick things up

REP1954

Blackhawk
If your trying to crowd three fingers on the front strap of that grip of course you are going to get rapped. Put that pinkey under the butt and let the gun roll. I learned that, way back when I used to shoot heavy 325gr. loads out of a 4 5/8" SBH. Only thing that started hurting was my elbow.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've NEVER been a fan of the XR-3 grip frame except on small bore revolvers. So, my 50th Anniv. .44 is being up graded with a modified Super Blackhawk grip frame.......

50thShooterLR.jpg

flatgate

jimhoff

Bearcat
REP1954":zi2duw99 said:
If your trying to crowd three fingers on the front strap of that grip of course you are going to get rapped. Put that pinkey under the butt and let the gun roll. I learned that, way back when I used to shoot heavy 325gr. loads out of a 4 5/8" SBH. Only thing that started hurting was my elbow.

I'll try this and the Michael Jackson thing. Thanks.

kelbro

Single-Sixer
REP1954":39fpz2gy said:

Maybe that's why I was reading this post and did not understand the problem. I shoot my SBH Hunter like Rep1954. It is a rounded trigger guard, does that make a difference?

REP1954

Blackhawk
Rclark":1gg1ehf3 said:
Just don't rest your pinky on something solid.... if you try it....
Rclark, You are correct but then again you shouldnt rest the butt of your revolver on anything. Thats why God gave you forearms.
Jimoff, I did do this to my 44 50th Annivesary to get rid of the checkering and they are just a little more hand filling. Same grip frame with Corian grips.
IMG_0284.jpg

MK111

Bearcat
I have been using the Past gloves for years and use them everytime I shoot any heavy recoil handguns. I have arthritus in both hands and they sure safe me.
For right haded shooters the right hand inner grip is padded. The left hand glove is padded on the back side and the inner grip had a semi-antislip material.
Next time out shooting I will try my Habor Freight 'Anti-vibration" gloves I use for lawnmowing to protect my hands. They are both padded in the grip side and only cost 10.00 and sometimes 5.00 on special.

az6gun

Bearcat
SBH Dragoon & Hunter: Crawl up the back strap so the hammer cocks back on the web between the thumb & index finger, XR3 Red: pinky under the grip frame so that the revolver will roll, I still feel it in the little finger after a while. XR3 alloy: On a Magnum? Just doesn't work for me. I only shoot a Bisley for Full House Big Bore Loads. Love the plow handles for the 44Spl!

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
i took apr of my old leather cloth lined gloves cut the fingers off rtight before the second knuckle and they work great no fumbling with ammo and the fingertips were worn out anyhoo Mike.

dougader

Hunter
I use an old Chimere shooter's glove and it helps a little with the recoil, but i've never had the problem with my knuckles getting rapped.

Latest posts