Need load advice for New Vaquero 45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KWJohnston

Bearcat
I just bought a New Vaquero 45 Colt with 4 5/8" barrel. I have owned a few adjustable sight single actions before (single six and Blackhawks). The Vaquero is the first fixed sight single action I have owned. I would really appreciate any advice/suggestions from anyone for a load that shoots to point of aim with the Vaquero's fixed sights.

Most of the suggestions I have gotten so far say "you have to file the front sight or work on the rear sight channel". I'm certainly capable of doing that if I have to. I'd prefer to just go the other direction and find a load that works with the sights as is. That would save me from re bluing the barrel after going at it with a file.

I am both a reloader and bullet caster so whatever recipe you suggest I should be able to duplicate. Thanks in advance.

Rclark

Hunter
Well, you'll just have to see what works in your gun. Good Luck. I'd start with a standard .45 Colt load with a 250g RNFP and see where it shoots and work from there. Something like 8.0g Unique under 250g RNFP.

Personally, I standardized on 250g RNFP. Then I found a load that shoots well in my Vaqueros (good groups). Then I took whatever measures needed to adjust the sights accordingly to bring the POI to POA.

contender

Ruger Guru
Good advice above.
Each & every gun is a creature unto itself. There is no "magic load" that any of us could recommend that can guarantee the accuracy you seek.
Handloading is all about finding the load that works in YOUR gun.
But,, you can study & see what the loading manuals suggest as a good starting point.

Sagebrush Burns

Single-Sixer
Rclark said:
Well, you'll just have to see what works in your gun. Good Luck. I'd start with a standard .45 Colt load with a 250g RNFP and see where it shoots and work from there. Something like 8.0g Unique under 250g RNFP.

Personally, I standardized on 250g RNFP. Then I found a load that shoots well in my Vaqueros (good groups). Then I took whatever measures needed to adjust the sights accordingly to bring the POI to POA.

Amen Brother! The best of good advice.

KWJohnston

Bearcat
Thanks for all the input so far. I wanted to avoid it , but now I'm starting to think my best course of action is to find the most consistently accurate load and regulate the sights to that. I can worry with the re bluing or refinishing later.

I wont be using the Vaquero for Hunting or for Cowboy shooting. The main purpose will be for just a general woods gun. So I wont need powder puff loads or heavy loads just something middle the road.

In my area of the south a woods revolver should always be half full of snake shot for close encounters with venomous reptiles for most of the year.

Anyone care to chime in on the RNFP vs Semi wadcutter for these guns?

mikld

Blackhawk
My first thought was to duplicate a factory load to start. I would think a gun manufacturer would design their guns to shoot the most popular ammo available, and that being factory; a 200 gr. bullet around 825-850 fps...

Rclark

Hunter
200g bullet is popular? Must be a cowboy action load thingy.... I would have thought the 'standard' 250g RN bullet would be the most popular :) . Worked back in the last two centuries ... works good now....

Not a hunter ... but from what I've 'read' the SWC style bullet is much preferred for a woods load than the o' round nose. Therefore, I use a 255g SWC for my woods defence load. Since my general load is a 250g RNFP, the difference in POI is not enough to matter at defence distances. The Unique load (8.0g, 8.5g) is a nice middle of the road load for both range and woods and is safe in your New Vaquero.

contender

Ruger Guru
Get a few reloading manuals,,, and find a mid-range load as a starting point. I prefer the SWC design over most designs for general purposes.

If you find a load that is consistent in accuracy and is either high or low POA vs Impact, then you can play with the loads accordingly. Left or right adjustment is usually done by regulating the gun in some fashion. I have found that I PERSONALLY prefer to try different loads,, and get an idea if the gun shoots left or right. Then, I usually open the rear sight channel a SMALL amount to correct the windage. Done properly, it's easy & not visible.

mikld

Blackhawk
Rclark said:
200g bullet is popular? Must be a cowboy action load thingy.... I would have thought the 'standard' 250g RN bullet would be the most popular :) . Worked back in the last two centuries ... works good now....

Not a hunter ... but from what I've 'read' the SWC style bullet is much preferred for a woods load than the o' round nose. Therefore, I use a 255g SWC for my woods defence load. Since my general load is a 250g RNFP, the difference in POI is not enough to matter at defence distances. The Unique load (8.0g, 8.5g) is a nice middle of the road load for both range and woods and is safe in your New Vaquero.
Yer right, my head dropped the 5! I was thinking 250 but for some unknown reason (old age?) typed 200. My personal 45 Cold bullets are all 250 and 255 gr. cast lead...