Need Help with my 10/22 rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TheoSchacht

Bearcat
Hello,

I hope u can help me with my ruger 10/22 problem.

- sorry for my bad englisch -

My Ruger 10/22 Sporter is a new model from 2016 and at the moment the first 1000 shots a done.

every ten shot ( about ), the cartridge case stock betwen the chamber and the slide. Sometimes every second shot..
I also send the rifle in servie to Ruger and they changed the Magazin. But the problem is still there.
I try about 20 different brands of ammo .. always the same problem with cartridge case ejection and the ejektor looks fine ! :-(

Please ask me for mor details and also for Photos .
I hope u can Help me a bit.

Theo

wwb

Hunter
Your problem is most likely the extractor. You can sharpen the hook with a flat file in a couple strokes. Otherwise, order a Volquartsen extractor and install it.

Power Custom also makes an extractor which will likely fix that problem

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/extractor-parts/extractors/ruger-10-22-sharp-claw-extractor-prod9871.aspx

One of my 10-22's will stovepipe(that's the term for a fired case caught crosswise between bolt and chamber) about 50% when using standard velocity ammo and a full magazine. Once the magazine drops below 5-6 rounds, the problem decreases. It also does this more often with a BX25 magazine loaded with 15 or more rounds.
If either of these scenarios is similar to yours, TheoSchacht, the problem may be the top round of ammo in the magazine dragging on the bolt and slowing it which prevents full cycling. OR It may be sub-standard ammo although after trying "20 different brands of ammo" I'd think you would have found at least one type that was full power.

TheoSchacht

Bearcat
Hey ! Thanks alot..
I think i will give the extractor a try. ( wwb )
also i watched a lot of youtube videos. There was a info that a loose magazin also can cause my Problem.
I will test that tomorrow at the Range :)

Cheers

donw

Bearcat
in the hi desert of southern california between te
many causes...

first and easiest to check is to give your 10/22 a thorough cleaning.

the 10/22 is an amazingly simple, reliable, rifle but it does have it's quirks. being clean is one of them.

i was having problems with my 1971 model 10/22 recently and discovered the hard steel operating rod had worn into the softer aluminum handle causing problems with misfires, etc. i replaced it and no more problems.

Precision32

Blackhawk
The major cause of "stove pipe" jams is the extractor. Pull your bolt and watch as you slip a cartridge case under the extractor hook. You should see the hook of the extractor move out at least 0.010" to 0.020". I do this on any rimfire firearm I sell or work on.

10-22extractormod.jpg

Remove material where shown in red to increase the effective length of the hook. If you get the hook too long it may push the bolt back from battery. Remove, slowly, material where shown in black.

I've tried most aftermarket offerings and they are no better than the OEM.

torino

Bearcat
Lots of elegant fixes around for this semi-common issue. But

I had a new 10/22 take-down with the same stovepipe problem. Ruger makes a very good mass produced product for the money, it is just not a custom hand fitted device out of the box. I took mine apart (not the trigger group, got the BX aftermarket replacement from Ruger for that) and polished & lightly oiled all the moving surfaces including the housing, removing any rough areas with 400 or finer grit sandpaper until smooth to the touch, then reassembled. The slide action smoothed out noticeably and has not stovepiped since. I also replaced the recoil buffer with a rubber lined pin just to make shooting a little more pleasurable. All together some pretty simple & cheap fixes that have made the rifle very reliable using several brands of ammo.

DC1212

Bearcat
I'm also having stove-pipe issues that I haven't been able to remedy. Not to hijack Theoschacht's thread but I've tried most of the common fixes without too much luck.

Issue happens roughly 5/10 rounds per 10 round mag. Though it's intermittent and I do not believe it is decreasing as the mag is spent. It seems to happen even to the last few rounds.

I've thoroughly cleaned and lightly oiled about moving parts
Polished parts of the 10/22 bolt and receiver (specifically where they make the most contact)
Changed out the extractor for a Volquartsen
Shot likely close to 2k+ maybe 3k rounds of ammo and different variety of ammo, to my memory no different ammo had any significant affect on the stove piping
Tried different strength recoil springs (KIDD)

Last thing I haven't tried is a different mag though i'm only using a 10 round mag that came with it (bought it new)
and the mag doesn't have that much wobble nor does it have feed issues, just the stove piping. I've only compared the amount of wobble to what I've seen online.
I also haven't tried removing material from the extractor as Precision32 suggested so that may be an option if i'm running out of ideas.

I really like this rifle despite the issues and want to modify it more though the ejection issue is thoroughly frustrating and discouraging me from wanting to put any more money into it.

Any further advice would be extremely appreciated and hopefully would benefit Theoschacht and other 10/22 owners as well.

DC, you spend a lot of time and money before ever trying the most common problem after ammo, try a different mag. I would never go the to range with 1 mag, ever. Get several and number them. Do that with every firearm that uses a detachable magazine. Those mags are cheap compared to what you spend, go get them, get 3 and then tell us about any problems.
But, I am guessing your post is real, so after shooting 3,000 rounds through your rifle your used to the problem, why fit it now.