Need Help Ruger 77 TANG LAMINATE GLOSS BLUE ????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MuskieMan223

Buckeye
My local shop has an unfired (no box) Ruger 77 Tang Safety with a factory laminate stock in 30-06. It has Ruger black recoil pad but no gripcap. Black floorplate. The metal is a high gloss blue. No sights....Is this a rare model? I cannot find any info on it.....Whats it worth?

What color is the laminate? Is it a 77R model (rings, no open sights)? Also, what is the serial number?

Ruger manufactured a limited production model 77RZ (Z = laminate stock) in 1987. It was a full size rifle with multi-colored laminate stock, mostly green and brown. Serial number prefix of a sample I have seen was 770-XXXXX...

MuskieMan223

Buckeye
It is mostly light and dark drown with a hint of maroon/red. No green. Its missing the rings and does not have sights.
What would it be worth paying for?

Sounds like the second laminate version after the green laminate version that I mentioned above...depending on condition, I would value it as a shooter only. Doesn't seem to be collector interest in these early model 77 laminated as they are not well known to collectors. Without the original box, rings etc. it is up to you to decide if you want to pay a premium for it. I would pay between $400-$750 depending on condition. $750 being it is almost new condition. YMMV...

MuskieMan223

Buckeye
It is in nearly flawless condition. He told me I could take it home for 500 but I was only buying it hoping it was rare enough it would grow in value....I probably would not hunt or shoot it at all..

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
With sights and for that price , id be taking it home!
Especially in the condition you said.

May be a little more information for you in this older thread:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=192073

I never did get a factory letter on that rifle as that was in the time frame the factory was switching systems and didn't offer factory letters for awhile. I will probably send a request off for the letter after this little reminder, and continued uncertainty over these configurations of rifles. I agree little collector interest but pretty neat little carbine-configured rifle!

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I missed the detail about no sights. Another thing about the early laminated stocks here...I was told by ruger that the early laminated wood could not be checkered because it chipped out so bad. The resins were not as strong as the newer laminated stocks that have more of an epoxy thats tough as hell! I modified the mag well on a newer black laminated stock for my 350 rem mag and could barely cut the stuff with my files! Being that they had issues with that , would an older laminated stock hold up as well as the newer ones over the years? Or in wet hunting conditions? I dont know but maybe someone can chime in on how theirs has held up...

MuskieMan223 said:
It is in nearly flawless condition. He told me I could take it home for 500 but I was only buying it hoping it was rare enough it would grow in value....I probably would not hunt or shoot it at all..

I would only buy it if it had the original box and papers as an investment....but you may feel differently. They are hard to come by and IF someone collects tang safety 77's, they would need one of these!

pete44ru

Hunter

Both of the tang safety Model 77's I bought in the late 1980's ( a .270 & a .30-06) had brown lamo stocks (no green), a high-gloss blue and no iron sights.

IIRC, the model designations were 3 letters, including a "Z", after the "Model 77" on the boxes - but at this remove, I don't remember if it was "RLZ" or "RDZ" or "DLZ", or whatever.

mike4570

Bearcat
That's a pretty good price in my neck of the woods. I would try to get the dealer to throw a set of rings in on the deal. I have the same rifle in 270 and makes for a nice little walking around rifle.

georogray

Bearcat
I have a green laminate on my 770-69xxx series but with a black pad that says Boyds, and no sights. I traded for it about a year ago and just thought it was an after market stock, now you guys have me wondering.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Here is an example of one on gunbroker right now. Nice rifles...
The coloring does have a red tint to one layer and ive seen some where the one layer of brown has an almost olive drab tint to it but it is brown.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=464938220