NEED HELP identifying how old 44 Mag Super Black is?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

schuman0830

Bearcat
My Dad just passed and left me a Ruger 44 Mag Super Black. He bought the gun in around 1970. It hasn't been fired in 40 years and the gun dealer today said it is the nicest one he has ever seen. The serial number is 6962. How can I find out how old this gun is?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ted

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
A Super Blackhawk with that serial number would have been shipped in 1961. It is a model S47 if it has a 7-1/2" barrel.
Now,,, depending upon when it was shipped,,, it was either shipped in a mahogany wooden box,,, or a white cardboard box.
If it was shipped prior to April 1961,,, it was likely in a mahogany box. After that, the white cardboard ones.
Either way the boxes are desirable collectible items, (read; expensive.)
The best way to know for sure is to pay Ruger $10 for a factory letter. They will give you the model info & the month & year it was shipped. Nothing more.
You can go to the Factory website to download the letter application.

schuman0830

Bearcat
It is a 7- 1/2 barrel. Very good info and I will go to the website. We don't have the box and was told it was possibly worth more than the gun.

Thank you very much.

welcome to the forum sorry about your loss, and what Dad left ,sounds like a "keeper"....yes, make sure you keep your eyes open for the box, packaging, it just may still be laying around the house "somewhere"...never know just where he may have stashed it.............

sometime ago, we got an old model 'lightweight' from a guy and later he recalled, he had kept his old Boy Scout patches in it and it was stuffed up into a closet........still has the writing on the lid as to the patches :wink:

not sure all the number ranges for some of the old Supers, but there were a few that had a longer grip frame, and if you remove the grips carefully and look on the back side, you may find a small, stamped letter "C"...never know, adds to the value, as well as the old "packaging"........

Good luck..................

PS, and we all love PICTURES !!! 8)