Need help for my dad. Old Vaquero engraved with cattle brand

Help Support Ruger Forum:

truevil

Bearcat
Can anyone tell me anything about this Vaquero. It is stainless with stag or bone grips and most of it is engraved. It has 3 cattle brands on the cylinder. 3H, a backward R with a normal R, and a rocking X. I would post pictures but I have not figured that out yet on here. So far I have not been able to find another one like it. Long story short is my dad is a lawyer and a gun dealer friend of his needed dad's help. Dad did this guys legal work and the dealer paid him with this gun. He told my dad it was worth a lot of money, but I am almost positive he lied about the worth. Any help would be most appreciated!

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
Worth is relative, depends on who engraved it...also who wants it...and what they are willing to pay.

That said, is it a Vaquero, New Vaquero, what caliber, what barrel length?
Photos, Photos...Photos.

(I have a cattle brand engraved Super, so I for one would love to see it).

truevil

Bearcat
Thank you for the reply.
It is a Vaquero ss# starts with 55 6 so I think it was made in 1995. It is chambered in 44-40.

street

Hunter
truevil said:
Thank you for the reply.
It is a Vaquero ss# starts with 55 6 so I think it was made in 1995. It is chambered in 44-40.

That would make it an original Vaquero, with the large frame.

z1r

Single-Sixer
Sacramento Johnson said:
The 44-40s usually had tight throats; once opened to correct size, mine were exceedingly accurate.

In relation to the oversized .429-431" barrels, yes, they were. But relative to the bore dimensions prior .44-40's tended to have they were ok. But, as you say, opening them up to match the bore size did improve their accuracy considerably.

z1r said:
Sacramento Johnson said:
The 44-40s usually had tight throats; once opened to correct size, mine were exceedingly accurate.

In relation to the oversized .429-431" barrels, yes, they were. But relative to the bore dimensions prior .44-40's tended to have they were ok. But, as you say, opening them up to match the bore size did improve their accuracy considerably.

It also means you will have to reload and neck up for a larger bullet. If you don't mind that, the 44-40 is a fine caliber.

I've seen pictures of the gun the OP spoke of, and you could give me one. Being rare, and valuable doesn't really jive with me. Rare makes it sound desireable which means people want to have it and develop an emotional attachment to it. I don't see that happening with that gun. I think the OP is correct in his assumption that the guy lied to his dad. JMO YMMV. It would be nice to see a picture to confirm my thoughts.

s4s4u

Hunter
I think the OP is correct in his assumption that the guy lied to his dad.

Not so sure that he necessarily lied. He himself may have been under the impression that the gun was rare. Who knows the trail of ownership or who told whom what along the line.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Bear Paw Jack said:
z1r said:
Sacramento Johnson said:

It also means you will have to reload and neck up for a larger bullet. If you don't mind that, the 44-40 is a fine caliber.

As a cowboy action shooter, I found it much easier to find a variety of lead bullets and loads for the .429-.430 bullets (these are same as for 44 spec/44 mag, which are easily available) than for the original .427 44-40 bullets.