Need help fitting a brass Qualite grip frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dlhredfoxx

Single-Sixer
Anybody know how to drive out the pin out of a grip frame that holds the ends of the trigger spring? the Qualite brass grip frame I bought came w/out any hardware so I'm trying to scavenge the parts from an aluminum XRN-3 Red grip frame pin. I got the grip panel dowel driven out but the dowel that the ends of the trigger spring clip over is not budging. Any advice?

PS- thèse Qualite brass grip frames are a booger to fit. Took me approx. 12 hours with a file, sandpaper and a buffing wheel to get her fit up to the frame. Still gotta fit the grip panels to the frame now... urrrrg!

EDK

Single-Sixer
Buy a new pin from midwayusa or brownells. Saves the pain if you decide to go back to the old grip frame. That little guy is installed pretty permanently...it is serrated on the outside to lock it in place. With a little BAD LUCK, you can screw up the original grip frame removing it.

Horror stories abound about fitting grip frames. Qualite and its sucessor, MK Technology, have had a few curses heaped upon them concerning fitting issues. You might want to check if your grips will fit OR you'll be buying some custom grips too.

I cheerfully paid to have HUNTERS fitted to some Original Size VAQUEROS while they were getting action jobs. I've got a pair of un-marked brass DRAGOONS on my 7.5 inch VAQUEROS...they're OK, but need some clean-up on casting marks and factory grips don't fit real well. Some time down the road, I'll get the grip frames fitted correctly and have REAL case hardening, etc like a vintage COLT.