Need a recommendation on a bedside safe for my GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldcrab

Bearcat
Hi folks, hope you all had a great weekend!

I'm going to be purchasing/using a bedside safe for one of my GP100's.
(several folks come/go in our house, and I want it secured)

For those of you who are also using a bedside safe, do you have a recommendation for me?

Thanks in advance for your help.
:)
Crab

I don't know that I would use anything that I had to manipulate in the dead of night waking up suddenly to get something - are you going to remember the sequence, will your fingers work ok under that pressure. I have a key locked handgun safe. I open it when I go to bed so that all I have to do is reach in and grab the handgun (SIG P229, .40 S&W, bright light (steady or strobe functions)). When I get up in the morning the safe gets locked back up so no "inquiring minds" can get into it.

mike454

Single-Sixer
I bought the Fort Knox when the kids were young. Keeping my guns away from little hands was the priority. Still a good box that you can open at night and close in the morning. Not sure if the battery operated safes have gotten better, but the one I had 20 years ago burned through batteries quickly. Used the biometric safe with the key for a while, but then had to keep track of the key. The original pistol box with the simplex lock works well for my needs.

David Lee Valdina

Single-Sixer
My own experience with lockable cases for handguns is pretty disappointing. I have found them in a combination of difficult to use and prone to malfunction. I would guess I have bought six in my life and finally gave up on them. The most fool proof system I had was a key operated strong box with the key on a string around my neck. That I trusted. That is also for Massachusetts where guns must be locked up when not in possession. In Florida, I have a small handgun in my pocket and those shorts are beside the bed at night. I have also felt pretty comfortable with quick access to a USMC K-Bar which can go with me in the motel when I am on the road and in states where I am not legal with a handgun. We all need to figure out comparative risks and make a decision.

I have one of the Harbor Freight lockboxes in a drawer for the EDC collection and the rest of the drawer is full of holster options. I could leave it unlocked overnight. My HD collection has it's own discreet storage.

contender

Ruger Guru
A good SOLID safe, manually opening,, where you can unlock at night, & lock during the day might be a good idea.
Bedside safes need a sturdy mounting point,, and as noted,, a small table will NOT deter theft. Thieves can & will take the whole table.
Inquisitive minds with wandering fingers (kids usually) means locking it at all times.

I have studied several brands & types of handgun safes, offered by many of the companies out there while at SHOT or other places. I could easily overcome all of them so far. As noted,, a simple but strong key lockable safe secured to a wall or something that can not be easily moved w/o tools or equipment would be preferred by the parameters the OP has mentioned.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I have three keyed lock boxes next to my bed. The bottom and closest to me has a handgun. The handgun is always in the box or on me. The next one on top of the bottom one has my daily meds and the third in the stack has my extra meds. The three keys are always on me and I can tell which key fits which box in the dark. My armed daughter and her husband live in the front bedroom with their noise sensitive pitbull and the wife and I live in the back bedroom. We will all have plenty of warning to a intruder.

CHEVYINLINE6.

JParker47

Bearcat
Hi folks, hope you all had a great weekend!

I'm going to be purchasing/using a bedside safe for one of my GP100's.
(several folks come/go in our house, and I want it secured)

For those of you who are also using a bedside safe, do you have a recommendation for me?

Thanks in advance for your help.
:)
Crab
what a dumbass idea...I want my weapon immediately accessible. EORGT THE SAFE Learn gun safety and train your wife and children early. or else why bother? you may not need a gun. The police are garbage collectors, and you are the garbage.

I have one of the cheap Harbor Freight lockboxes screwed down in a drawer. I have the key on my keyring so if I'm in bed the key is in the lock unlocked. If I go anywhere it's locked and the key is with me. I had 3 keyed alike. 1 in the bedroom 2 in my cars screwed into the floor.