Need a quick answer re: 10/22 receivers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cubrock

Blackhawk
Did Ruger ever make any steel 10/22 receivers? All I've ever seen are aluminum.

contender

Ruger Guru
As far as I can find,, no,, no steel ones by Ruger. I've heard of AMT possibily making steel recievers several years ago,, but I've never seen one. Plus,, there was a special order from Ruger for a model KB10/22-RPF by Williams Shooter Supply with a "White" finished reciever according to the RENE guide. Serial number range 255-00741- 255-745, with a possibility of 2000 produced.
Now,, the 10/22 magnum has a steel reciever,,!

cubrock

Blackhawk
Thanks, T. That is what I thought. Have a regular stainless 10/22 and was asked if it was the steel receivered version. I had heard of custom receivers being steel, but never a Ruger factory frame.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
AMT (Covina) made the Lightning Rifle in 22LR with a stainless steel receiver, medium weight 22" barrel (mine has no sights) and fire control housing. An excellent unit and a near-carbon copy of the Ruger, mine has given great service and many, many critters since the late 80s.

I believe they sold a 22WRFM version also named the Hunter, but I now they did sell a different (non-10/22 design) all-stainless rifle by the name of Magnum Hunter. It has a more tubular-design receiver.

Details to come from the gallery members?!

9x19

Hunter
The AMT Magnum Hunters were close stainless copies of the H&R 700 (both chambered for the .22 WMR).

The 25/22 Lightning was AMT's folding stock version of the 10/22.. it had the same stainless steel receiver as the regular Lightning but a shorter 18" barrel and Butler Creek stock.

The Hunter version was NOT a magnum, just a Lightning with a monte-carlo style (synthetic) stock and heavier contour barrel.

There were also a few "Custom" models built by AMT that had a finer fit and finish, and significantly higher price.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Ruger actually did manufacture a handful of stainless receivers for the 10/22. A few have been reported of having been "removed" from the factory but the rest are there still. The 10/22M receivers were steel.

louiethelump

Buckeye
What is the Govt doing with full auto 10/22 receivers if I may ask? Are they making a special gun with them or what?

Inquiring minds want to know.........

Louie