Need a new "Field Revolver" SP-101 or wait for the GP100-22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

peyton

Single-Sixer
I will say I was very impressed by the SP101's I bought in 327 magnum. I have not been to the range yet. I also got to look at the SP101 in 22 cal and it looked fine as well. They are identical expcept for the caliber. Oh, I am a S&W fanatic and have taken some good natured ribbing over the fact my last four handguns purchased were RUGERS!!

foytfoyt

Bearcat
k22fan said:
It sounds like a couple of you missed the .22 LR GP 100 Ruger showed off on TV. It had a 5" half lug barrel which I'm sure was to keep the tonnage below what the standard 6" full lug GP 100 would weigh in .22. Even so it will fall in the target revolver category and won't compete with "kit guns."

The TV appearance was discussed at great length here in several posts, as I'm sure you know. I'm glad they went with a longer barrel, but 6" plus would have been better, as it's no pocket gun anyway. The LCR takes good care of that. Normally I would like a full lug, but I also agree half lug is great with a zero recoil round.

k22fan

Blackhawk
I agree building the .22 GP 100 with same barrel profile as the discontinued "half lug" 6 inch .357s would be best for a target revolver. I am presuming barrels over 6" are not going to appear on GP 100s.

FWIW, my favorite .22 for the purpose stated in the original post is the S&W K frame with a 4" tapered barrel which S&W has called a Model 18 and a .22 Combat Masterpiece. I was not impressed with the trigger pull on the SP 101 .22s I handled. A model 18 weighs 36 ounces which is only too heavy if you are going to back pack 50 miles. Shooter grade and refinished Model 18s can still be had for under $500. Add in self defense and I bow out of the conversation.

Bearcat

Blackhawk
k22fan said:
I agree building the .22 GP 100 with same barrel profile as the discontinued "half lug" 6 inch .357s would be best for a target revolver. I am presuming barrels over 6" are not going to appear on GP 100s.

FWIW, my favorite .22 for the purpose stated in the original post is the S&W K frame with a 4" tapered barrel which S&W has called a Model 18 and a .22 Combat Masterpiece. I was not impressed with the trigger pull on the SP 101 .22s I handled. A model 18 weighs 36 ounces which is only too heavy if you are going to back pack 50 miles. Shooter grade and refinished Model 18s can still be had for under $500. Add in self defense and I bow out of the conversation.

Good point about the relative value of a nice, used S&W Mod. 18. And I'm sure its value will increase over time at a better rate than the SP-101....I may cool my jets and take some time to cruise all of the spring gun shows before I order the SP-101. A friend also suggested that I look at the 22/45 LITE pistols for a woods gun. The sleeved barrel does not seem to me like it would be very accurate. Any opinions on that??? Thanks again...Never expected this thread to get so long. :)

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
On my "I got get list " is a 22LR revolver..for field/woods carry..so I'm waiting on the 3" barreled LCRx in 22LR..I havr a LCRx 2in in 38spl and a LCR in 9mm...great carry options..

trapperon

Blackhawk
Bearcat

If it is a double action you seek--I would stick with the sp101 in 22LR. No plastic and not too heavy--adjustable sights for hunting/targets--a great all purpose revolver. Personally--if considering going up in the caliber department I would jump to the sp101 4.2 inch in 357. It too has adjustable sights and is extremely versatile--even for deer if you had to in a pinch! I have both of the sp101's I suggested and neither one disappoints as far as accuracy or ease of carrying in the field. I see you are from rural Michigan--Maybe you an stop in to Jays sporting goods and handle them both!

Ron

OldePhart

Blackhawk
trapperon said:
Bearcat

If it is a double action you seek--I would stick with the sp101 in 22LR. No plastic and not too heavy--adjustable sights for hunting/targets--a great all purpose revolver. Personally--if considering going up in the caliber department I would jump to the sp101 4.2 inch in 357. It too has adjustable sights and is extremely versatile--even for deer if you had to in a pinch! I have both of the sp101's I suggested and neither one disappoints as far as accuracy or ease of carrying in the field. I see you are from rural Michigan--Maybe you an stop in to Jays sporting goods and handle them both!

Ron
This is a good recommendation...the SP-101 .357 4" became available right after I got my 3". If the 4" had been available I would probably have chosen it. I don't think it would be THAT much more difficult to conceal than the 3" and I carry that regularly. Of course, the fiber-optic front sight on the 4" sticks up pretty high...might be a snag issue... Huge jump in muzzle energy with almost all factory ammo moving from 3" to 4" in .357, though.

Of course, the 4" in .327 would be a good option, too. I'd kind of like to have both...so many guns, so little money... :(

Bearcat

Blackhawk
I may end up with two new SP101s. One in .22lr and one in .357/.38 Spl. I'd like both in the 4.2 inch barrel configuration. Have to sell one or more of my old faithful Security Sixes, though, to raise the extra cash. Wonder if Jay's would make me a great deal on a matching pair???

trapperon

Blackhawk
Bearcat

I think Jays still has the 1 year lay a way. At least that would give you time to scrounge up some cash! I do believe it would be an awesome pair!

Ron

Latest posts