Need a little help with Colt .22 ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kscott

Single-Sixer
Hey guys, my immediate family recently (today) acquired 2 handguns. A Colt Woodsman and a High Standard Model B. The Woodsman is a First Series 1930 Target Model. I have been doing research on both of them the last few hours. The Colt I've read (pre 1933) is not to shoot high velocity ammo. My question is what exactly is standard velocity ammo? I know they have high velocity ammo, so I would think that anything not marked "high velocity," but some guy said "Can't use any of the long rifle stuff." I didn't know whether to take that seriously or not so I came to where I know I can trust you guys. Thanks for the help.

BTW info on either pistol is appreciated :) Anyone know if the High standard is the same?

kscott

Single-Sixer
I'm finally getting into researching the ammo ordeal. Standard velocity as I understand it, is between 1055 and 1100 muzzle velocity right? Federal bulk packs are 1200ish if I remember correctly? So they're not standard? and therefore not a good idea to put through the Colt?

Sorry for all of the questions, but these were my Grandpa's and I just don't want anything to happen to them.

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
I believe anything around 1200 fps would be okay. I shoot them in my S&W model 41 without any problems. But if you want to be on the safe side just ask for sub-sonic ammo at your gunshop. You should post a pic of the Woodsman. They are nice guns.

kscott

Single-Sixer
I found some CCI SV (standard velocity) and some Aguila Match Rifle that was SV, but I also found some CCI hypervelocity that said it was life 1070 ft/sec. hmm??? so confused.

Cholo

Staff member
Stick with ammo that states it's standard velocity. Not much to gain by shooting the high velocity stuff in your old .22's. Sometime's it's more accurate too, though not available as easily as the faster stuff.

kscott

Single-Sixer
Most of the SV stuff I've found on the net is about double the price of what I normally shoot. I don't mind paying a little extra though because I don't plan on just taking these out every day and running a hundred rounds through em.

yes, the 'bulk' or 'promo ammos are usually a high velocity, the 'standard velocity' will be marked on the box and most ALL of these older ,target model guns are designed and built to shoot this. no need to beat the crap out of your gun, and parts are getting harder and harder to find for them...also they need to be "cleaned" as to the action,, and the chamber area more frequently,(No need to completely field strip them...)good guns, very accurate and a pleasure to shoot............

kscott

Single-Sixer
Thanks a lot. I will post pics when I get home next week. I actually have yet to see either handgun or any of the 5 long guns we inherited because I'm up at school right now.

welldoya

Single-Sixer
The later versions of the 1st series Woodsmans could shoot high velocity ammo. If it is designed for high velocity, it will have some horizontal lines on the backstrap. Yours may be too early for this feature though.

Latest posts