Need a .475 carbide sizing die for .45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Any info on who makes a carbide sizing die for .45 Colt that will give me a .475 O.D.
case size?
What I have been using is my Dillon die which sizes too small at .470 giving that hour glass look
and no need to run them that small for my revolvers.
Measured up some new factory ammo I have using Starline brass and it's .475.

I used to just size down only the length of bullet seat depth but then cases have to seperated for
whatever gun they came out of....a pain.

Have looked at the Redding 95191 dual ring die.

Enigma

Hunter
A lot of people have gone to using older steel sizing dies due to this fact. The two alternatives that I'm aware of is the expensive Redding Dual Ring carbide sizer, or just 'neck-sizing' your brass.

Mus408

Hunter
Gator89 said:
What issue arises from the 0.005?

I use Dillon dies and never noticed a problem.

Well when case is sized down to .470 using Dillon die it is much smaller than needed and works the brass more when fired in a .480 chamber. Being same size as factory ammo at around .475-.476 you won't have the hour glass shape in middle of case.
If you neck size like I was doing you end up having to divide up your loaded ammo to chamber in a particular revolver. A round neck sized for a 2005 Ruger New Vaquero might not fit in a Ruger Blackhawk or Ruger Alaskan firing .45 Colt.
I have a wide variety of .45 Colts and each prefers a different chamber fit.

I bit the bullet and ordered the Redding dual ring sizer.

mikld

Blackhawk
I looked around a bit but could not find the case finished OD dimension. For a dial ring die, what is the main body OD and the neck OD?

Mus408

Hunter
Ordered the dual ring Redding die from Graf & Sons in Mo. on the 27th and it got here,Va. this morning the 29th ! Excellent service.
Ran a case thru my Dillon and it came out a nice straight .4755 instead of the .470 in middle
Excellent!
Now I can full length size again.

Mus408 said:
Ordered the dual ring Redding die from Graf & Sons in Mo. on the 27th and it got here,Va. this morning the 29th ! Excellent service.
Ran a case thru my Dillon and it came out a nice straight .4755 instead of the .470 in middle
Excellent!
Now I can full length size again.

So what is exactly the benefit of that? I've been using RCBS 45colt dies for ever!
All my ammo shoots just fine! What specifically is the difference in Performance
That is what counts. ps

contender

Ruger Guru
Proper case sizing to where you get a proper & consistent neck tension on a bullet helps in serious accuracy. Neck tension that varies can cause accuracy issues,, at long range. Not all shooters notice it, or practice at long range, or even strive for serious accuracy. Silhouette shooters built the road for serious long range shooting,, and this was just one factor they discovered that made a difference.

Look at even RCBS,, who makes & sells "Cowboy" loading dies. The expander in those is designed for cast bullets & to improve performance of the ammo used by SASS or cast bullet shooters.

Neck tension,,, is the benefit of a proper sizing die.

Mus408

Hunter
Why not have a reloaded case look as uniform as a new factory round!
Also the case won't have to expand as much to try and seal the chamber when shooting in revolvers with large chamber size.
If just neck sizing and you have various revolvers of different make and year you don't have to sort brass per revolver.
It's just a better reloading tool!

My 2005 New Vaquero has the largest chambers of all my .45's.
And my Alaskan has the smallest plus the other revolvers in between.
Don't know what the Colt .45 rifles are.

Enigma

Hunter
Another, less expensive alternative might be to try a .454 Casull sizing die. Chambers on those guns are (at least the customs) are held to tight tolerances, and so are the sizing dies.

Greenjoytj

Bearcat
I bought the Redding Dual carbide ring die for my 45 Colt. It works great for my Ruger SASS set, but made the body of the cases a little small for use in my Miroku built Winchester 1873, I was getting more blow back. I bought Redding's old style steel sizer an this die sizes down the body just a little less than the the Dual Ring die.
I always case lubed with the Dual Ring as per Redding's recommendation smearing Imperial Sizing Wax on a foam lube pad and Rolling the case through the lube smear.
The 45 Colt operates a such low pressure I found the best way to control and sometimes stop fouling blow back is to anneal the cases and load to max book pressure with 255 to 265 gr cast bullets. I load mostly Real BP in my 45 Colts and occasionally Hodgdon's CFE Pistol.

z1r

Single-Sixer
I have the opposite problem, the sizing die I have will not size down Winchester brass enough that it will firmly hold a .452" bullet. Never had an issue when I was loading .454" bullets in my old New Service. That revolver is long gone and my new Rugers like .452" bullets.

Looking for a new carbide sizing that will size correctly for .452" bullets.