Neck Expander Die Loosening Issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bobberfishin

Single-Sixer
The actual expander portion of the die is threaded in to the "shank", which in turn is threaded into the body of the die. The expander portion has loosened up (it's only 5/8" long once threaded into the "shank")
This is the second time in 3 weeks this has occurred. 2 different dies & calibers. Once while expanding brass, the other while seating bullets.
The overall neck expander die has very few parts that can be adjusted, The body of the die locks into the press using a lock ring. They are secured with a set screw or allen screw. The final adjustment for expansion (the shank) has it's own locking nut to the die's body. No set screw. Inside the "shank" is the actual expander portion that has been coming loose.
Why is this piece threaded to the "shank"? There's no way to adjust & lock-in position. Does it make it easier to replace the expander? Which is something I've never heard of anyone doing. 30 minutes ago I was seating bullets & the expander portion just dropped out on my bench.
These are both Lyman dies, 380 Auto & 38 Special.
Should I use some Blue Threadlocker to secure them so it doesn't loosen again?

Appreciate any help or remedies, Thanks Bob

"Once while expanding brass, the other while seating bullets."
Surely, this is a mis-speak as the expander isn't part of bullet seating.

"Why is this piece threaded to the "shank"? There's no way to adjust & lock-in position. Does it make it easier to replace the expander? Which is something I've never heard of anyone doing."
On many dies, the "expander" holds the de-capping pin and allows replacement of a brokein pin.

"Should I use some Blue Threadlocker to secure them so it doesn't loosen again?"
That would be an option. I've not had this specific problem. If it is actually the expander ball loosening, you can tighten that using padded jaw pliers.

Bobberfishin

Single-Sixer
"Once while expanding brass, the other while seating bullets."
Surely, this is a mis-speak as the expander isn't part of bullet seating.

It's not....I have a Lyman turret press that has 6 stations in the turret. I have 4 dies in the turret. Decap/Sizing, Expanding Die, Seating Die & Crimp die.

There is no expander in the decap die, only sizing to correct for any distortion that may have occurred during the firing of the brass. The expanding die allows for a flare (bell like look) of the brass throat to be able to seat the bullet in the next phase of reloading.

While seating the bullets the overall jarring of the press must have been enough to further loosen an already loose piece in the expander die.

NikA

Buckeye
I have had this problem with all my Lyman M-dies, and have solved it as you have suggested with blue threadlocker. I use a case pushed onto the mandrel to tighten it into the stem so I do not have to readjust the stem length when applying this fix.

As to why the design of the die is this way, I think it is for manufacturing convenience. The stems used to be aluminum and are now soft steel, and only come in a couple lengths. The mandrels are much more expensive hardened steel, and it would be more costly for Lyman to make a 1-piece assembly that avoided this issue.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have had a couple come loose. Even when placed in a padded vise and protecting the expander plug with leather and tightening with pliars. Blue thread locker does work if all oils are removed before using it.

Latest posts