my wish list cartridge. 10mm magnum rim

Help Support Ruger Forum:

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
I would love a blackhawk convertible that chambered 40SW and a new 10mm magnum rimed type cartridge. just like a 41 mag, but with a .40 diameter projectile.

I like the SW610, but then think I'd rather have the power of a 41mag over 10mm auto. anyone get what I'm throwing down?

Otony

Blackhawk
It has been done already, the .401 Herter's Powermag.

An excellent 10mm cartridge that is not too hard to load for. Brass can be squeezed down from .41 Mag, and bullets are, well, everywhere.

I would love to have a mid-frame Flattop in .401, that would be a real sweetheart.

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
demo_slug":3vpi02hp said:
I would love a blackhawk convertible that chambered 40SW and a new 10mm magnum rimed type cartridge. just like a 41 mag, but with a .40 diameter projectile.

I like the SW610, but then think I'd rather have the power of a 41mag over 10mm auto. anyone get what I'm throwing down?

38-40?

Jack

edlmann

Blackhawk
demo_slug":376om143 said:

Click here.

A

Anonymous

demo_slug":167ksl88 said:

If you are thinking Blackhawk, why would you want a rim?

I happen to own a Buckeye Special 38/40--10 MM Auto convertable and the rimless case presents no problem in a single action gun.

Oooooor, were you thinking 10MM with a 40 S&W rimed case?

CraigC

Hawkeye
It's always been my plan to reinvent the .401Powermag by rechambering the 10mm cylinder of my Buckeye .38-40. Just never got around to it. It really has no advantage over the .41Mag, it's just different and sometimes that is enough.

Onty

Single-Sixer
There are numerous advantages of 10mm magnum rimmed:

- Bullets for 40 cal are everywhere: affordable and selection is excellent
- Rimmed cartridge could be chambered in DA revolver, no clips required
- When chambered in larger frames like NMBH and S&W N-frame this cartridge could be way more powerful than 357, yet still very much manageable for most shooters
- NMBH 357 or S&W 27, 28 and 627 (6-bore) could be re-chambered and there is no need for custom cylinder if somebody wants very accurate revolver with line bored chambers
- Strong medium frame 357 DA like GP100 could be converted this round; Clements converts this revolver to 10mm for years with great success http://www.clementscustomguns.com/rugerdarevolvers.html
- SA revolvers could be manufactured as combo guns with additional cylinders for 10 Auto and 40S&W

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
RedHawk44":1rr02km4 said:
Oooooor, were you thinking 10MM with a 40 S&W rimed case?

naw. I'm liking what Onty is throwing down. i'm thinking about a 10mm round that is the same OAL length as a 41mag with near the same capacity as 41mag.

the case capacity on a 10mm is 0.95cc and the 41mag case capacity is 1.35cc, and more is better :)

in a auto, I'd love a delta elite 10mm auto. in a revolver, I'd want 41mag

basically I really want a 41mag, but think it would be super swell if there where more options for projectiles and wish it also fired 40SW.

dougader

Hunter
41 mag can be made up on a Ruger medium frame flat top or New Vaquero so this Herters 401/10mm rimmed mag would be a great little six shooter IMO.

Either a flat top or a Montado in 401 mag would be sweet.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
I really want something like a .357/44 B&D but on a .454 case. Now that would be a sweet gun.

Greebe

Snake45

Hawkeye
Onty":3ch8erh8 said:
- Rimmed cartridge could be chambered in DA revolver, no clips required
IMHO, rimless cartridges using clips is an advantage in a DA revolver, not a disadvantage. There's simply no faster revolver reload than tossing a snowflake clip full of 45ACPs or 10mms in the general direction of the cylinder, snapping it shut, and driving on! :wink:

CraigC

Hawkeye
That depends solely on your purposes. For fooling with moonclips would be a total hassle for mine. Sorry, I'll take a rim every time. A cartridge with the power/recoil level of the .401 really needs a good roll crimp anyway.

Onty

Single-Sixer
CraigC":2rjm34j7 said:
That depends solely on your purposes. For fooling with moonclips would be a total hassle for mine. Sorry, I'll take a rim every time. A cartridge with the power/recoil level of the .401 really needs a good roll crimp anyway.

Exactly! 10mm magnum rimmed is for shooter and handgun hunter who wants moderately recoiling yet powerful handgun. If somebody wants action shooting revolver, Clements can make him 40 S&W or 10 Auto in GP100 (Ruger could do the same if there is enough market), and S&W 610 is still around.

nn

Single-Sixer
I see advantages of both rimed and using moonclips. Moonclips make it harder to top off after shooting a round or two.

Otony

Blackhawk
nn":3qbg27ar said:
I see advantages of both rimed and using moonclips. Moonclips make it harder to top off after shooting a round or two.

You can't use moonclips in a gate loading SA revolver unless you remove the cylinder each and every time you load or unload.

Moonclips are only an advantage on revolvers that have a side swing or top break method of unloading.

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
imagine a S&W 610 that could fire 40 and 10mm with moon clips , then also the .401 8)

small, med and large. I like it. lots of choices.