My Version of a Limited Edition 50th Anniversary 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
I submitted my contest entry for Ruger's Limited Edition 50th Anniversary 10/22, but alas, Ruger did not choose my design.

So I made it myself.

I purchased a 50th Anniversary Ruger 10/22 Takedown with the birch wood stock.

I purchased the wood stock version off Gunbroker for $309 because I knew I would replace the stock and I'm hoping I can sell the original birch stock on Ebay to gain back some of the cost of the new stock I wanted for my own version.

Back in 1987, I spent a portion of my first paycheck from my first job right out of college to buy my first new gun. A Ruger 10/22. It was all the rage back then to equip it with a Choate folding stock and Ram-Line 50 round magazines and a flash hider. I did all of the above.

My dad installed a Clark trigger and a Volquartzen hammer and my Ruger has thousands of rounds down range. It's topped with a polished blue Tasco 4x32 scope that has worked well all these years. I will never sell this Ruger since it was my first new gun and my Dad did the work on it.

But when I saw that Ruger and Talo had come out with an International stocked 10/22 made of walnut with hand-cut checkering, I had to have one. Well, I had to have the stock to put on my 1987 10/22! I absolutely love how it looks!

So much so that my idea of a limited edition 50th Anniversary would be a Takedown International with the walnut stock!

A little internet research came up with Mike Warren and his website www.1022td-woodstocks.com and I knew I had found my one-of-a-kind 10/22.

I purchased a walnut Talo International stock off Ebay. After checking to be sure it arrived unbroken, I re-shipped it right to Mike. He charges $100 to customize a full size 10/22 stock into a Takedown stock. His workmanship is amazingly excellent! He includes a new brass ferrule for the "forearm" and he seals the newly exposed areas with tung oil. In a week and a half, I received my stock back, but cut in half!

The fit and finish is superb and Mike uses custom tiny shims to fit your stock perfectly to his 10/22 Takedown, which meant it fit my rifle flawlessly!

I ordered the BX-Trigger from Ruger (early order and early shipping already confirmed as a newly registered warranty on my Takedown) and I'll have a nice match up to my 27 year old International. We're going to Colorado on vacation next summer and the Takedown will be much easier to pack on the trip than the full size .22 rifle.

I topped my Takedown with Leupold quick release lever rings holding a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 scope. I plan to shoot it later today!

Of course, my Ruger SR22 pistol is already in the top outside storage spot in the Takedown's carry bag and three loaded BX-25 Ruger magazines are in the lower storage area.

Many thanks to Mike for his outstanding craftsmanship, attention to detail, careful packaging, quick work, and fast shipping!

So, what do you think of my idea of what Ruger's 50th Anniversary Limited Edition 10/22 should have been?

-Steve

Rocdoc

Buckeye
There is no more desirable Ruger rifle to me than an RSI. That is really neat making one into a take down version. Love the results,

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Jason at Lipsey's said:
Nh Rugerman said:
Absolutely beautiful, wish Ruger had listened to you! How bout it Jason from Lipseys....make it a Lipseys exclusive!

Stay tuned! Bob from TALO and I have been conspiring on this for a while.

:D :D :D :D :D

Assuming it is supplied with the take-down pack, how about British Tan as a choice. More fitting IMO for the RSI than the other colors I've seen.

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Christmas came early! After a couple minutes, my Custom Takedown International now has an outstanding trigger pull!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Steve,

That's awesome! Love it and the creative thought. Has anyone thought of a blued plate to fill the joint or does the mechanism preclude using a fill er plate?

One small detail I did to my fixed International; a matching 'flat band' sling loop to the front sling band. The front flat band loop from the earlier 10-22 is a "drop in" on the rear stock screw head.

Yiddil

Single-Sixer
Absolutely Gorgeous....cou;ldnt find a stock like that so I went with this....from Mike as well...
This sporster stock rocked my world:)