My trip to TN, quite a few pics, 56K beware!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jhearne

Buckeye
I went to visit a friend from college in Tennessee this last weekend and one of the only parts I think you guys would like was him, his brother and I going to Lynchburg, home of Jack Daniel's. I did other stuff, but I'm a 23 year old and though I've been around RugerForum a bit, I don't think most of you guys are into seeing pictures of a band I like play at a small skatepark's basement in downtown Nashville. The other stuff is ok, just stuff you don't see every day.

Here's us at the distillery doing the obligatory Rick Yard group photo, the guy on the farthest left is our tour guide, and I'm right in front of him, the two Puerto Rican's next to me on my left are my friends I visited. I was probably the tallest person out there lol. Best part of the tour is the price (free) and the complementary glass of lemonade at the end, that was a great glass of lemonade, no Jack in it, but I guess you could call it a true Lynchburg Lemonade.
dsc04958_6359.jpg

This is at the Rick Yard, this is the spot they use to burn the stacks of wood for the charcoal to 'mellow' the whiskey with. They use unfiltered 140 proof whiskey to help get the fire going.
DSCN0400.JPG

This is my buddy Edwin when we got to the cave, the Spring fed water coming from this cave is 56 degrees year round and you know it as soon as you make the corner, the temp dropped quite a bit and only got chillier from there the closer you got to the cave and water.
DSCN0413.JPG

Me getting my only 'shot' with Mr. Jack.
DSCN0421.JPG

The 7 Master Distiller's that have worked for Jack Daniel's, the top middle one is the current and 7th so far.
DSCN0433.JPG

The safe Mr. Jack kicked to get open, breaking his toe, leading to blood poisoning and ultimately to his death.
DSCN0434.JPG

We couldn't take pics inside the buildings except for his old office. So unless you've been there yourself you'll have to take my word that the Barrel House and Huffin' Jack is something you need to see once atleast if your a Jack Daniel's fan. I am a fan and actually bought a bottle of 86 proof at the White Rabbit, it was one of the Scenes from Lynchburg bottles and features the bronze statue of Mr. Jack. No picture of it yet, but I already lessened it's value by drinking a little from it. I've had the 80 proof, but not this 86.....I plan on drinking some with my father in the coming months and bringing it down to my uncle for a little New Year's fun.

Here's some of the other parts of my trip, didn't really go sight seeing, this was more a trip for me to go and do some cool stuff that I wouldn't get to do back home in TX.

Saturday, I went to Billy Joe's and got my first tattoo on my right calf. It's a Bass and Treble clef I drew up in photoshop a while back and let the artist shade to what he thought would work. I love it. I am a musician hobbyist and played the trumpet in school and bass and guitar now. I also like to sing, but don't think I have the pipes to pursue anything more than my own shower/driving entertainment.
IMG_0615.JPG

Sunday night we went to the Nashville Sounds game, it was a double header and boy oh boy do Tennessee fans know how to cheer, </sarcasm>. It got so quiet a few times it was about the same as someone getting hurt on the field. Sure they were loosing but they didn't even try!
DSCN0313.JPG

My last day there we went to 16th Place Studios, a recording studio for Autumn Records, both owned by the President of Mathews, the Archery company, that same man also makes McPherson Guitars, and man was that a nice guitar. Here's the studio's Yamaha 9 Foot Grand Piano, this thing was amazing sounding....new cost is $125,000 :shock:.
DSCN0480.JPG

Here's Edwin dabbling with that McPherson. Yes the fretboard is floating off the body, one of the key points in it's design.
DSCN0483.JPG

The guy showing us around plays piano/keyboards for Edwin's church (Edwin plays drums there occasionally) and arranged the music for Bob Carlisle's song Butterfly Kisses, a hit song in/around 1999.
DSCN0484.JPG

I didn't do the normal tourist stuff in TN, the only tourist thing I did was see the Jack Daniel's distillery. I had an amazing time, I only get to see him once or twice a year. And this was my first trip to TN. We stayed in Franklin which is a pretty cool town, lots of historic Civil War sights to be seen there, even a few haunted farms around the town. I'd like to go back and play tourist and see the sights. After my divorce money has been tight so I saved up for months for this trip, just to go and have fun. Made a few new friends, hung out, and had fun, was worth the financial headaches to get me there, wouldn't have done it any different.

Josh

Quietdood

Bearcat
Well, I liked the show. It actually made me want to drink a shot of whiskey... and I rarely drink whiskey.

cwegga

Bearcat
Nice post. The trip looks fun and it's always good to hook up with friends.

Don't be too afraid to post "young" stuff though. I'm at least one other person on there with a few years left on the south side of 30. :wink:

jhearne

Buckeye
Glad you liked the pics guys. Was a fun trip, wish Edwin's band played a show while I was there, I've only played with him in college with our jazz band (I played bass, he drums). I have their album, but it's nothing like what you'd see live.

It ain't a Bourbon ;) lol, Tennessee Whiskey is the proper term for my drink of choice :). And yes wickerbill, the mash was pretty stout, they had a still pretty full and it was doing it's thing and we all got a good wiff of it. The Barrel House was one of my favorite places, just full of JD smell. If I ever find myself going to Tennessee again, I'll be going back to JD, the fact that the tour is free is one of the best parts. They said they get about 250,000 people a year and they have never charged a penny. I'd gladly pay $5, $10 for that tour, guess the money they make off the bottles they sell at the White Rabbit help keep that cost down. My father wants to go and my mother wants to visit TN as well, going to have to see if I can squeeze into that trip as well :).

Josh

contender

Ruger Guru
I fully appreciate the pics taken at the JD distillery. I too am a fan,,, and a JD TN Squire! I have a bunch of the JD special bottles,,,, all still full & unopened!

jhearne

Buckeye
Your very much welcome contender, my father has a bottle he received as a wedding gift 25 years ago, still in the tin box he got it in, and the seal is intact too.

Josh

Geezer

Single-Sixer
Nice photos! Thanks for sharing them with us. Also, nice ink. How about a photo of the finished job?

jhearne

Buckeye
This is probably the best one I have of it online right now, this was a few hours later after I was able to remove the bandage.

n8339726_56532840_5756050.jpg

americal

Hunter
O--yes the battle of Franklin at Carter house great tour there---Gen.John Bell Hood charged union forces dug in--- 8,000 confederates killed in A little over 2 hours :shock: Gen. Nathan Bedford Forest the swamp fox & renown calavry leader got so mad at Hood--Forest went in his tent and told Hood after the battle was lost-- who had a arm & leg shot off at Gettysburg that if Hood was A whole man he would shoot him for the needless assult---Hood was said to be bitter about his lost limbs at end of war tough times & men--- Hood had to be straped in his saddle because of limb loss :!: no charge for history lesson :) learned this at A sons of the confederacy meeting by a young man who had studied battle for year to get his masters degree in history.