My SR9 is gone

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grapony

Bearcat
I just sold my SR9 and to tell you the truth I'm glad to see it go. I just didn't trust it anymore, It had the peen problem and got a new barrel, I'm going to use the money I got and buy a M&P 9c. I wanted to like this pistol but just too many problems.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
snakespit":19vqar87 said:
Your are not the first.

You won't be the last!

Spoken just like someone who has never owned the gun, in fact I doubt that you ever even shot one. So your view and comment on this means jack squat.

If graypony wants to sell his gun fine, he at least came to his opinion after some real experience with it.

BTW graypony I wish you good luck with whatever you end up with.

Chris1

Bearcat
I have an sr9 and an m&p9c. I got my m&p with the optional thumb safety and I am very happy with it. I will be getting an sr9c hopefully tomorrow.

As far as the sr9 goes, I haven't shot it nearly enough to determine if I have any issues with it or not. What I like about it is all of the features that it comes with that I wanted. safety, mag disconnect, loaded chamber indicator; all these are important to me. I know that most remove the mag disconnect, but I am glad mine has one.

The m&p's are expensive. They do have a lot of desireable features though. I feel confident with it and you will like yours. The thumb safety is a big deal to me so I didn't buy one until I saw one with that option. They are definitely in the minority on the production line at s&w. The only problem that I have with my model is that the safety is rather large and I have found the gun to have the safety off twice and I didn't do this intentionally. I carry it most days though and it gets handled a lot so this could have happened unintentionally. The sr9's safety is much more of a positive engagement and much lower profile which is one of the features I am looking forward to in my sr9c purchase.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I don't own an SR9, but, the thing I haven't figured out is how bad a problem is the peening? I have not heard anything about the peening causing reliability problems etc. Granted, it is not supposed to be that way, but does it cause problems with the gun's functioning? I haven't heard of any.

I have a very early LCP, and they had a peening on the frame caused by the articulation between barrel and frame. Ruger recalled my gun for a safety issue, and at the same time ground off the frame section that was peened. All LCPs are now made with a cut out in the frame where the peening was common. The gun was fine after that, and I carry it in my pocket every day.

My point is, the fix on the SR9 may be a simple one. After the new barrel, the gun may be 100% and I don't think I would be quick to get rid of it.

stchman

Bearcat
I bought my SR9 new in May of 2009. After 1000+ rounds it is still just as functional as it was when I first got it.

The SR9 is an extremely reliable and accurate pistol IMO.

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Peening / Schmeening, enough already!!! Just buy ammo and shoot the damn thing. Don't trust the SR9? Why? Has it ever failed to go bang? That's all that a gun is designed to do, and just about every Ruger I've ever owned has never failed in that respect. I'd shoot the goddamn thing until it won't fire anymore, then send it back to Ruger. Heck, they'll fix it for free anyway. What the hell more do you want?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Almost 1000 posts, and you STILL don't know how to let people know what you think ??? What's up with that, Dude ???? :D

REV

grapony

Bearcat
Anthony Williams":2eqx49ec said:
Peening / Schmeening, enough already!!! Just buy ammo and shoot the damn thing. Don't trust the SR9? Why? Has it ever failed to go bang? That's all that a gun is designed to do, and just about every Ruger I've ever owned has never failed in that respect. I'd shoot the goddamn thing until it won't fire anymore, then send it back to Ruger. Heck, they'll fix it for free anyway. What the hell more do you want?

I will not own a fixed or repaired daily firearm, This pistol has already been back to Ruger twice, I'll let the next owner send it back it's third time when that time comes which Im sure it will. These pistols while they look and feel good on the outside are crap.

The M&P are nice. Hope it meets your needs. Gotta have confidence in what you want.
Knock on wood, I have fired over 2000 rds out of my SR9 with know problems. I am debating on the new SR9c, but also like some of the XD compacts. Not sure I want another 9mm or go with the 40 S&W.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Anthony Williams":1c5l4tw9 said:

Uh, mr. mod, this is OK but WTF etc isn't?

what's up with that?

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Mine peened so bad at just over 100 rounds--that it held the slide back---so yes, peening does cause function issues.

Also traded mine off after I got it fixed----loved how it felt and handled---but could no longer trust it.

I'm pretty much done with Ruger's "new" designs----traded off my LCP sat for a new stainless MkIII-----no issues with the LCP cause I never shot it----liked the idea when I bought it---just the more I handled it the less I liked it----wanted something more shootable and cheaper to shoot---so that's why the MkIII which I'm pretty sure is a keeper.

flgolfer29

Bearcat
I bought the SR9 in November and have put 550 rounds through it so far. Not a single jam or misfire to date. The gun is performing even better than I expected prior to purchase.

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
Chris1":2u53sqbu said:
I have an sr9 and an m&p9c. . . .

The m&p's are expensive. . . .
I paid more for my SR-9 than I did for my M&P 40.

Of course, when I bought my M&P 40 in April of 2008, they were being sold for $350 ($400 less a $50 rebate) plus 4 magazines. Haven't seen that kind of deal since then.

Have to say I have been far, far happier with my M&P.

Latest posts