My son's stainless steel New model Bearcat arrived today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Moki

Bearcat
Here is another story on how firearms rules are already ingrained into my guys head...

A few weeks ago I was sitting at my desk with my stainless steel 454 Casull LSI Puma M92 rifle the front barrel band screw head had snapped off leaving the threaded end stuck in the band. I was on my computer looking up the warranty company that does the warranty work on the Puma rifles for LSI, I had the rifle laying across my lap the muzzle was pointed directly to my left towards our laundry room the door way into the kitchen and the rest of the house is slightly to my left but behind me.

My guy came walking into my office from the kitchen he wasn't even remotely beside me yet when he started telling me off that the muzzle was pointed in his direction he was so upset that he was raising his voice yelling at me to stop pointing my rifle towards him.

Yes I am very proud of my guy...

CC

Major T

Blackhawk
Ever go to a T-Ball game. The kids have been taught, begged, coached, and just flat out told what to do when a kid hits the ball. Then one hits the ball and every kid on the field runs to the ball, and that includes the one that hit it a goodly percentage of the time.

My cousin kept a stud horse in a pen way too close to his house, against the advice of all his friends, including me. The kids have been taught better was cousins reply. When the # 1 son was about 5 1/2, his mom missed him one afternoon. She found him in the stud's pen unconscious, bloody and thought him to be dead. So did the stud, because he had stopped stomping son. He lived after some serious hospital time with a good bit of reconstructive surgery, but carries the scars to this day.

I can tell you lots more stories, but I do not want to become obnoxious. They just don't get the big picture until they begin to understand life experiences, and develop their frames of reference. I have about 50 years experience raising kids, working with, little league, camp fire, 4-H horse clubs, church kid and youth groups and can tell you with all honesty how bright some of them are/were and also a lot of the dumb things they did.

My very best to you and yours, but do not tempt fate. Or, as the old folks used to say, " The Lord looks after those who look after themselves." Jack

stantheman86

Buckeye
I don't see an issue with letting a 4 year old boy handle an unloaded .22 revolver. Just keep the Bearcat locked up unless you're there to supervise him while he handles it.

If he can't get any live rounds, and Dad is watching him while he "plays" with the .22 revolver, there's no danger. I used to play with an Iver Johnson .22 break top when I was a real young kid, there was no ammo that I could get to so it was as good as a toy gun. Of course that was back in 1985.........not that it was any different, just that stuff like that wasn't as "big a deal" 25 years ago.

tguil

Single-Sixer
I for sure don't mean to tell anyone how to raise their children...unless asked. I used to be asked frequently because I spent my life working with children...young ones ages 4-12. I was an elementary school principal (38 years) who had considerable training and experience in early childhood education. Children are not miniature adults. Stated simply they may appear to know more than they really know or understand. They can go through the motions but they still don't get it. Young children and guns simply are not a good mix.

As my daughter was growing she knew that I had guns. She watched me clean them and was also around when I came home from hunts. She showed only a little interest in guns. She knew that guns were for adults. When she was about ten I worked with her shooting a .22 rifle. She never developed an interesting in shooting but that's OK by me.

To the OP...no criticism meant.

Moki

Bearcat
Finally made it to the range today with my guy...

I've spent the last few weeks teaching him safe handgun handling with his Bearcat he has now done hundreds of aim/dry fire drills = I finally felt that he was ready to give his Bearcat a try with live ammo.

He had an absolute hoot shooting he did far better than I ever dreamt he would, he even gave shooting one handed "like a cowboy" (his words) a try.

I am kicking my absentmindedness I forgot to take a camera with us so you have to imagine a 4 year 4 month old young man handling a handgun better than most 10 year olds wearing a plastic holster, safety glasses, Peltor electronic earmuffs, cowboy shirt/hat/boots...

I was able to do a few quick accuracy tests to get an idea how this little gun shoots @ 15 yards it groups appr 1 1/2" high and 1 1/2" right groups were better than I was expecting averaging 1 1/2" with most ammo used what was a surprise were CCI CB Long's they seemed to print to point of aim but I only shot them at a small 1" X 2" piece of wood on the berm @ 20 yards definitely minute of grouse if we were allowed to carry these little guns in the bush up here in Canada...

For the naysayers he was under my direct supervision 100% of the time he had his hands on his handgun... :wink:

falrifles

Bearcat
I have been a police officer since 1976. A loaded revolver / semiauto was always accessable in my home. I live in the city of St Louis where I am still a police officer. It is wise to slip a gun in your wasitband while taking your trash to the alley. This was all very exciting to me as a young man, however I look forward to retirement and leaving St Louis now.

Having said this, I educated my children very young about firearms. At the age of four years old I sat them on the couch and unloaded my service revolver, which they were already very curious about, in their hands. I explained all the safety rules and educated them on how the WEAPON worked and what it would do. They were taken to a private range or remote forested area while camping and placed about 10 yards in front of an unopened 12 ounce soft drink can. I had them shoot the can with a single shot .22 high velocity hollow point round. This seemed to have a dramatic affect on their ability to understand what a gun can do. This was also done later with a 410 shotgun on cardboard boxes. Very educational.

A few times I would come home in the morning after working the grave yard shift exhausted. A small voice would boom out from one of my children exclaiming that dad left a LOADED gun on the table in the kitchen. Of course I told them to do this if it should happen.

My kids are all grown now with children of their own. They are not in law enforcement, but have concealed carry permits. They are educating their children as well. But after all this you have to realize that life is in fact unpredictable. Things do happen. There are lapses of attention and behavior as in when I was tired after working late.

I applaud spending time with your children. I was not able to do it as much as I would like to. I am very jealous of anyone that gets to live in a wildreness type area as that is where I would have wanted to live and work. My job situation and marriage put me where I am.

My guns are locked in a safe, however there is always one gun in grandpa's house that is loaded an acccesable unless the grandchildren are around and then it is simply worn by grandpa concealed or placed some where out of reach.

At this point in my life at close to 60 years of age; I have seen allot of death myself. I agree with much of what Major has stated. All he is saying is use due caution with the little ones. Things happen. I know.

Viking Queen

Blackhawk
Those pictures are wonderful, he is a cutie pie. I think you are doing a wonderful job of being an involved parent.

That said, it scares the snot out of me to think of a 4 yo with loaded gun, no matter what the supervision. . . I'm sorry to be critical, it just flat out scares me.

I hope all goes will with you and your family,

Viking Queen

Moki

Bearcat
Thanks for the positive comments and yes he is a total sweetheart...

When his guns are loaded I am always right there closer than arms reach keeping everyone safe here is a pic of how he shoots his 22LR T/C Contender carbine.

img_16471.jpg

The gun is unloaded in this pic he is showing me his way to stand which is in his words "the right way to shoot"...

img_1659.jpg

Tony_The_Liger

Bearcat
You know the best about your child's ability to practice safety with firearms. Nice pics...

However, I am concerned about his exposure to lead and lead dust from shooting/being around firearms/being in an environment where firearms are cleaned/shot/stored.

For less than the cost of a box of ammo you could get a simple blood lead level test on yourself and your son. No level is considered safe, however in children anything above 10 micrograms per decaliter of lead in the blood is considered lead poisoning.

This would be worth your while to check out with a doctor especially since the majority of bullets are still cast with lead, or have a lead core with a jacket that can still expel lead dust when fired.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
PRICELESS!

You're a lucky guy. Keep sharing those great moments with your boys.

louiethelump

Buckeye
I see the puppy in the early photo did a great job of growing up!

I am not going to tell you anything about dealing with your son in your surroundings. YOU KNOW BEST.

My gun dealer's granddaughter has already shot her first wild hog and she is 4+ and quite the little outdoors kiddo. (the hog was in the trap they use to capture them as they are a nuisance here, and she shot it with her pink 22 Chipmunk rifle) Dad moved in and finished the hog right away, as they were all headed to the freezer. (you can hunt hogs year round here in Florida)

Moki

Bearcat
Here is his latest = T/C Contender carbine with 21" 410 barrel we went deer hunting for the morning then set up a couple of pumpkins.

This is his first shot with it with his short butt stock installed in the past he has fired it with a full length butt stock held under his arm pit.

The shot just about knocked him on his butt he told me that it didn't hurt so he shot it two more times after I took the picture...

008264.JPG

sigp220.45

Single-Sixer
That is awesome! My "little guy" is now 14, so I envy you more than you know!

I started my three kids shooting with a Chipmunk rifle at about the age of 3. I kept it fun, hovered protectively, and a good time was had by all. They all enjoy shooting (the girl not as much as the two boys) and firearms safety rules are thoroughly ingrained.

You seem like a great Dad.