My Ruger MK IV *suppressed*

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wasp

🇺🇸
My first handgun was a Ruger MkII slabside my dad bought me when I was 17, man I loved that thing. I have always liked the Mark pistols, accurate, comfortable in hand, quality built, what's not to like?

For years I dreamed of setting up a MKIII with an integral suppressor and some other add ons I had in mind, but just never got around to it.
Polish_20210811_122220168.jpg
I bought a Liberty Suppressors Kodiak a few years ago and had it converted to a 'Regulator' after they changed the baffle design. The tube is Ti and the rest steel. It drops the decibels down to where most integrals are, about 115 dB in a 6.5x1" can weighing about 5.5 oz.
Polish_20220514_164906163.jpg
I decided that I didn't need an integral, so when I bought my Ruger MKIV a few years ago I sent it to Volquartsen to have them shorten the barrel to 3" and crown and thread it, and they moved the front sight back and reinstalled it, made a thread protector, all at a (low imo) cost of $150 besides shipping,
Polish_20221206_172308250.jpg
I ordered several parts from Volquartsen too, a trigger w/stop, firing pin and extractor. I want to go back and add a sear and springs now, but didn't at the time. I have since added a set of Hogue smooth black G10 grips which I prefer over the rubber ones shown, actually.
Polish_20210811_122321139.jpg
Polish_20210813_011327578.jpg
It's so quiet and very accurate, as accurate as I remember my slab side backbin the day, although I don't have it anymore to compare. This is what I wanted for years and if brings me infinite enjoyment.
Polish_20220125_151424802.jpg

-Click the pics for more detail and full size-

Last edited:
Long ago, I had access to an integrally suppressed High Standard (military issue). I really liked the idea but it was 40 years before I got back into suppressed shooting. My 'pet' is a 4" blue 22/45 with a Form 1 muffler. It shoots well enough to be interesting out to 100 yards or more but I need a dot optic to make that work. A 4" barrel and 6+" muffler gets a bit unhandy for packing. I'll admit that an integral suppressor is more compact and carries easier but may not be any more effective in use.

Wasp

🇺🇸
I actually love the idea of an integral, don't get me wrong. I'd own one if I knocked some of the other stuff off my list.

One of the reasons I went this route was to be able to use the can on more than one host.
I like that my barrel doesn't have to be ported like an integral, which likely leads to better accuracy (arguably), and its not as dirty, easier to clean this can than to take down an integral too. And I can shoot unsuppresed or go across state lines with just the pistol with no paperwork.

I can actually shoot Mini Mags in this and still come out just under the sound barrier, but if I want a little more suppression I can use CCI Standard Velocity.

I'd really like to get another can before I get an integral. A Dead Air Mask is only 5", compared to 6.5" on my Regulator, which doesn't seem like much, but my barrel is shorter, so it would be about 1" shorter than most integrals, still not ported, and actually quieter @about 110 db (Mask) or better.

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
Nice. I added threads to my Mk II and frequently shoot it suppressed. Nice combo. Also makes teaching new shooters easier - hearing each other is easier and I find they flinch less shooting suppressed.

I use only sub-sonic ammo after determining it's more accurate than the 'fringe velocity' ammo (some at or slightly above super and some slightly below) which adds the factor of super to sub transition. 100 FPS difference in muzzle velocity has little effect on terminal performance anyway-most 22 is just for making holes.
My 22/45 thrives on CCI sub-sonic HP but isn't picky and handles both RWS and Aguila sub-sonic quite well. Not quite 'movie quiet' but might be with a name brand muffler. We have a Sparrow but Son uses it exclusively on his 17 HMR rifle.