My Ruger .275 Rigby M77

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sigp220.45

Single-Sixer
Well, its marked this, but .275 Rigby sounds much more exotic:

I had no intention of buying such a thing. I was in one of my usual haunts when that tang safety caught my eye.

The dealer said it had been there for quite a while. I laid it away on an impulse. I've learned through long and bitter experience not to ignore such things. I had 80 bucks in my pocket and that was enough to hold it.

I love Model 77 Rugers. I know they are sometimes the red-headed stepkids of the bolt actions, but not to me. My main meat-getter is an old .300 Win Mag M77. My wife's only big game gun is an M77 .260 Compact. My wrong-handed son has a lefty M77 in .270 Winchester.

They have a classic look and feel to me, and every one I've had has been more than accurate enough for any need. I made my longest game shot with my .300 at a range that would get me called a liar or an idiot.

I'm a sucker for oddball and semi-oddball calibers. 16 gauge shotguns, .41 mag revolvers, 10mm pistols have all found a home with me. I know the 7x57 has a long and distinguished history and may not be an actual oddball, but its also not something for which ammo is always found at Wally World.

These are 175s - I've read the long-throated Ruger favors these. I like long-for-caliber bullets anyway. Probably Freudian.

This gun came with a giant low-end Tasco 4-16 stuck on it, and two boxes of 140 grain ammo. I shot those up to make sure it worked, and set about replacing the scope. I had a Redfield 2x7 Revenge, made by our friends in the Phillipines. It is crystal-clear and has worked well on other guns.

The Tasco was in Ruger rings with screws so buggered up I couldn't remove them. I took the whole deal off, and wound up getting some Leupold rings at Sportsman's. All they had were the high ones, but they actually work well with my slightly chubby cheeks.

The stock is nice dark walnut, not the reddish tint I'm used to on many M77s. Good thing recoil is very light - I like the look of the Ruger factory pad, but it doesn't have much give.

The guns dates to 1980. I think Ruger wasn't outsourcing barrels at that point. This one seems to shoot well - all I have done is break rocks in the BLM with the Tasco on board. I'll have a better idea of accuracy when I sight in the Redfield with the 175s. If they group well I'll probably stick with those. The barrel is nicely crowned.

Even the most ardent fans of the M77 will admit the triggers are overly heavy. The one on my .300 must be 6 or 7 pounds at least. I live with it, but it could definitely be better.

This one has an aftermarket trigger of some variety that breaks clean at what I guess is about 2-3 pounds.

I didn't see a name on it. Any ideas?

I'd love to hear from other fans of the great M77, and particularly those with experience with the .275 Rigby (even if you call it the 7x57 or 7mm Mauser).

Hi I think you have an after market barrel to go with your trigger the finish on the barrel and stamp and crown do not look factory to me as far as the 7x57 it is a great cartridge I have 4 of them you will love it

GRAMPS

3DTESTIFY

Single-Sixer
The M77RS hollow bolt in 7x57 is what I own. As mentioned earlier, you'll come to enjoy the old Mauser chambering, just as much as Jack O'Connor did.

gopher1

Bearcat
That is a Rifle Basix aftermarket trigger. Very good item. I have one on my '89 tanger in 35 Whelen.

http://eabco.com/RU-T_Instructions.pdf

mike7mm08

Buckeye
GRAMPS 51 said:
Hi I think you have an after market barrel to go with your trigger the finish on the barrel and stamp and crown do not look factory to me as far as the 7x57 it is a great cartridge I have 4 of them you will love it

GRAMPS

Agree the barrel does not seem right. Crown was definately not factory. But just above the caliber stamping the proof mark of what I can make out looks factory.

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
The barrel is either aftermarket or recrowned. The bolt has either had the bluing removed or it is a replacement. Stock looks like it may have been refinished. It's a frankenruger.

HOWEVER ... I'm not saying that in a derogatory manner at all. the modifications probably have done nothing but good for the accuracy of the rifle. the older 7x57's have somewhat of a reputation, accuracy-wise (probably what led to the mods in the first place). The rifle looks good, and you'll get good use out of it. Looks like a solid hunting gun.