My reloading setup

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
This is mine: a standard-sized (2' x 8') closet in a standard home. My home does have high ceilings, which has allowed me to install multiple rows of ClosetMaid wire shelving, above desk level, to hold my stuff. Heavy material like lead sits on floor. I have an old 20" x 44" office desk (lightly braced with 2x4) with Dillon 550B (no primer feed). I no longer run my press as progressively as I once did when I shot a lot in our Pennsylvania club-house in the ole days.

closet.jpg

I have always had my reloader set up like this, in a bedroom closet, in five homes I've lived in since 1971. It ensures privacy and comfort in all weather conditions. There was a time when I only shot trap; then "progressed to handgun-only." I load for five handgun calibers. Having my stuff inside our home eases concerns about humidity and rust.
On each side of the closet is about a 2' x 2' area which allows a small safe on one side and storage boxes, gun cases, ammo boxes on the other.
The bifold doors are always closed when we have company, and if gd-kids are sleeping in there, then I block the bi-doors with a long table or something appropriate. This has worked for me; wouldn't change it.
Sonnytoo

PaulTX

Bearcat
I wish I had the room to reload indoors. I store powder, primers, primed cases, and finished ammo indoors but everything else resides in the garage. The smallest bedroom in our house is my "office" and that's where I store the indoor stuff along with firearms. I have a lock on the door for when the grandkids are around.

Paul

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
That's a nice setup Sonnytoo. :)
I had a similar setup when we lived in a mobile home years ago. Only my loading bench was in a closet meant to house a clothes washer and dryer. It worked great - there was a good overhead light and even some shelves that were originally meant for laundry detergent and such. And when I wasn't loading, I just closed the bi-fold doors on the front of the closet.
I have a whole room for loading in the basement of the house we live in now. I have plenty of space. But all that means is that now I have more area to store stuff I never use - stuff that I procrastinate about selling or giving away. :lol:

islander

Bearcat
That's creative use of space. You could also have a custom cabinet made, say 5' wide by 7' high with full height lockable doors. Inside would be a reloading worktop with knee space for sitting, built-in lighting and power, and storage shelving. Even gun storage. The cabinet could be placed anywhere inside the home or apartment where convenient. In other words the reloading "bench" can be disguised as an elegant cabinet.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
Congrats on getting your program off and running!

The idea on a closet or bi-fold doors is GREAT .... you can leave your project right where you are and still keep it safe and secure by locking or blocking access.

Three 44s

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
I also have my setup in a closet. To the right of my bench is a cheap fiberboard book shelf with 4 shelves. I cut it to fit sideways. Sure stores a lot of dies and equiptment. best, greg

Landric

Bearcat
Nice setup! I never like to miss out on a chance to post a picture or two of mine. I just built the room in my garage last year, before that I was handloading in my spare bedroom on my parents old dining room table.

IMG_0310.jpg

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Sonnytoo,

Nice setup. My only suggestion would be some more light...but I like my work areas lit up like Broadway.

Here's my setup:
1114080721.jpg

And here's my old setup:
0112081401.jpg

Aqualung

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Cool. I need to get a new bench made. When we moved out of Nome I sold the bench as I didn't want to fly it out. Here is my set up several years ago. The only thing that changed since we moved this summer was more components for different cartridges.

REBCH1.jpg

Greebe

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Its a cheapy PSE Buckeye. It is just a 30# bow that I got to shoot for fun. I bought it when my wife and I first got married. She was in nursing school and I was trying to scrape by enough money to support both of us and her schooling.

Part of the reason I got it was because I had bad tendinitis is my right elbow, so 30# was about all I could take while I was letting it heal.

For a cheap bow it shoots decent enough though.

Greebe

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Like I was saying, how can reloading be cheaper per round with the cost of the ALL that equipment? Not counting the fun factor of course.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
toyhunt":vn2gpvg3 said:
Like I was saying, how can reloading be cheaper per round with the cost of the ALL that equipment?

Well the equipment is a once in a life purchase. There is no way you will wear out a single stage press or dies if you take care of them. So if you look at the cost of a single stage press over say 20-60 years, that is very little money.

Also once you have your brass, all you ever have to buy is powder, primers, and bullets. If you are really frugal, you can make your own jacked bullets or cast lead bullets. Then all you are buying is powder and primers.

Lets look at the price to reload .45 Colt for instance. I will spec it at 50 cartridges with prices from Cabela's:

8gr Unique -- $20lb, so $1.14 for 400gr of powder ( 7000gr per lb.)
250 gr cast lead bullet -- free as home cast
CCI 300 LP -- $32 per 1000, so $1.6 per 50 primers

So to load up some "cowboy" fun type loads you are looking at only $2.74 per box of 50 cartridges. This is compared to a box of Ten-X .45 Colt 250gr RNFP sold at Cabela's for $44.

So you are looking at a savings of $41.26 per box of 50 cartridges of .45 Colt ammunition.

As to your original question, handloaded .45 Colt only cost:

.05 Cents per round
vs
.88 cents for commercial

So it only takes one to two boxes of .45 Colt to pay for your reloading setup depending on whose equipment you buy.

Greebe