My range test of the Super Wrangler

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
Well, I picked up a Super Wrangler yesterday. I inspected it,,, and found it to be well put together,, and had all the normal things a new gun has. Looked good & had stains from the factory function test firing.
I didn't find any burrs, anomalies, or anything wrong with it. The loading gate is "normal" and not stiff like some have experienced.
It feels just like a Single-Six in the hand. Yes,, it looks different,, with the MIM hammer & the Burnt Bronze coloring.
The free spin pawl/cylinder was a nice feature.

So,, off to the range we went.
All shooting was done off hand, at 25 yds.
I tried (2) different brands of .22 LR ammo. Federal bulk pack cheapie stuff, and CCI Mini-Mags. I fired 18 rounds of each type before I'd check the target.
I had a nice group, about 3"-4" average with both types of ammo. Yes,, I had a few shots that I, (yes, my fault) pulled & called them.
Initial grouping was to the left,, and centered. Not bad at all.
After the .22 LR stuff, I adjusted the rear sight for the left grouping correction.
Next,, I swapped out the cylinder,, and started in with .22 Mag. I had some older (yellow boxed) Winchester 40 grn ammo. I had 14 rounds each of both FMJ & JHP. I also had a box of CCI 40 grn JHP to use. I just shot 12 rounds of that stuff.

Once I got the sights adjusted,, I enjoyed a good centered grouping of about 3" for all (3) types of ammo. So, apparently,, this Super Wrangler isn't going to be picky about ammo.

It'll be a FINE handgun for woods bumming, squirrel hunting, snake killing, or just plain range plinking.
And the price is very attractive. It should be a hit with the average Joe to enjoy a LOT.

I may try & take it out & do a head to head with an OM Super Single-Six to see how they do side by side at some point.
A 3 in group won't kill a squirrel or snake. I'll pass.

contender

Ruger Guru
At 25 yds,, a snake is safe. No need to shoot one that far away.
And as for squirrels,, a 3" GROUP means it's an aggregate of all shots fired. A lot of the shots fell into a smaller area than that. I'd take it squirrel hunting,, after I found which ammo it preferred, that gave me the best grouping.
As I said,, a good woods bumming gun. It's not a target piece,, nor do I expect it to be.

Star43

Blackhawk
I quit carrying a 32 H&R when I stumbled onto a sow Grizzly and cub in 1990.
I love my single six 32 H&R and wouldn't trade it for anything.....if you see another bear, with a handgun, you are better off shooting in the air or a tree next to it to make noise to get the bear to move in another direction. Even with a 357, I would do the same exact thing.....in my opinion.

Star43

Blackhawk
I love my single six 32 H&R and wouldn't trade it for anything.....if you see another bear, with a handgun, you are better off shooting in the air or a tree next to it to make noise to get the bear to move in another direction. Even with a 357, I would do the same exact thing.....in my opinion.
Of course, only if you had to......of course.

Threespears

Single-Sixer
I now have my S&W 500 with me.
something I once heard about having "enough gun"… who said that🤔

Star43

Blackhawk
I now have my S&W 500 with me.
something I once heard about having "enough gun"… who said that🤔
Gee, between that and s couple of hand grenades, you should be ok........ Personally instead of a S&W, I would always opt for a Ruger product.........and I'm from Mass originally, but you can keep Springfield, I'll stick with Ruger!! 😉

Hankus

Single-Sixer
Gee, between that and s couple of hand grenades, you should be ok........ Personally instead of a S&W, I would always opt for a Ruger product.........and I'm from Mass originally, but you can keep Springfield, I'll stick with Ruger!! 😉
Encountering a bear during bow season in Colorado is exactly why I bought my first Ruger big bore … a Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum!