My range report - new SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Armybrat

Buckeye
Went to a local indoor gun range a couple days ago to start breaking in my newly purchased SR9 (17+1, all black).

Being the lazy type, I just loaded it with 115 gr WWB & shot it out of the box without any cleaning whatsoever. Did check the bore prior for obstructions, of course.

The 1st mag went smoothly, but then I got 9 light strikes in the next two mags. Reloaded them, and 4 subsequently did their job while 5 never went down range.

After that, the next 6 mags full ran through like butter.

Was shooting @ 10 yards - the pistola in my hands tended to hit about 2"-3" to the left of aiming point.

I forgot all about the shooter's pie chart so as to correct this, but was more interested in the break-in. Guess there was some kind of burr or gunk messin' up the striker a bit at first.

I'll run another 150 or so rounds through it next week.

This piece is not intended to be carried, but rather a range plinker.

I scored a couple 100 count WWB 9mm at Academy yesterday at $23.99/box.

Cleaned the fieldstripped piece very thoroughly afterwards. It was as dirty as a politician's secret bank account.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this sleek well made firearm, and it will be a pleasure to keep it in my modest Ruger collection.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Grats on your new SR9! Mine shot a little low when I got it. I thought it was shooting to the left to but that turned out to be me. :lol:

graygun

Hunter
I've fired about 1,050 rds so far. I also fired it the 1st time w/o a pre-cleaning. I had 2 or 3 stovepipes in the first couple mags and all was ok after. It has been all WWB except for 100+ reloaded 124-grain,50 Monarch and 50 Federal,both 119-grain.

I've had no light strikes...at least no misfires.

As I've mentioned a few times, the slide occasionally does not lock-back after the last round is fired.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Yea, I didn't have any light-strikes even after I cut my spring.

Armybrat

Buckeye
2nd trip to the range with my SR9. Just fired 3 full magazines, but still got 6 light strikes. :(

Will detail strip it this time to clean the striker channel to see if that helps. Apparently a plain ol' field strippin' cleaning ain't enough.

jhstancil

Bearcat
The SR9 will improve over time with nothing more than shooting it. I have found it is not tolerant of light loads or limp wrist when new. remove the striker and clean all the shipping grease out of the striker channel. Mine seems to be happy with nothing more than the dry lubricant left behind from the "Hornady gun cleaner and dry lubricant".

Bersa45

Bearcat
Not meant to be carried, why? I shot mine at IDPA and it performed flawlessly. All targets were eliminated and my scores where very high. Even got compliments from the RO's. :!:

i took mine out for the first time today.

Fired the first 10rds in the middle. Bad obviously. Then adjusted the sight and fired the next 10 rds at the RIGHT 5, then the next 10 rds and the LEFT 5.

groups begun to get tighter and tighter until when i left the range i had about a 3-4 inch groupings. I LOVE IT. Most accurate pistol i've ever fired.

8h30cdxcmvzyevhs0g7.jpg

Armybrat

Buckeye
Bersa45":2qxlzi40 said:
Not meant to be carried, why? I shot mine at IDPA and it performed flawlessly. All targets were eliminated and my scores where very high. Even got compliments from the RO's. :!:

I don't like to carry full size handguns in concealment. Not very practical, what with me being a fat dude who wears shorts & T-Shirts 90% of the time year-round.

That's what my LCP is for. 8)

Bersa45

Bearcat
Armybrat":2t6vumfh said:
Bersa45":2t6vumfh said:

I don't like to carry full size handguns in concealment. Not very practical, what with me being a fat dude who wears shorts & T-Shirts 90% of the time year-round.

That's what my LCP is for. 8)

Ok, that makes sense. I thought you were saying it was not reliable. I carry mine about 6 months out of the year, unless i open carry. the other 6 months i carry a .38 5 shot snubby S&W airweight...

ConradM

Blackhawk
wingspar":exhsk2ht said:
Armybrat":exhsk2ht said:
2nd trip to the range with my SR9. Just fired 3 full magazines, but still got 6 light strikes. :(

What is a "Light Strike"?

As far as I understand... it's when the striker hits the primer, but not hard enough for the round to fire.

wingspar

Bearcat
ConradM":2lxov1ho said:
As far as I understand... it's when the striker hits the primer, but not hard enough for the round to fire.

Never heard of that, or experienced anything like that. How does one know that? Is there any indent on the primer at all? Would you put that shell back into the gun again?

Armybrat

Buckeye
wingspar":2fxgudc0 said:
ConradM":2fxgudc0 said:

Never heard of that, or experienced anything like that. How does one know that? Is there any indent on the primer at all? Would you put that shell back into the gun again?

I've had a total of 15 "light strikes" in 250 rounds run downrange thru my SR9 in two sessions.
The indentations left on those 15 primers varied from almost normal, to slight, and a couple without a mark.
Guess the striker or it's channel are still dirty, so I am gonna open it up tomorrow for another thorough cleaning - have been busy around the house with remodeling renovations.... time's been a bit tight.

Doble Troble

Bearcat
I've never had light strikes on factory ammo. Ammo that I've loaded myself is a different story.

On rimmed rounds (30-30, 38-55, 38 spl, 45 colt) sometimes primer seating (with a Lee hand held seater or safety prime on a turret press) is less than complete unless I pay careful attention. If the base can rock while seating the primer may not be driven home. This seems to be a function of the shell holder used with each priming systems (Lee hater comments expected).

If you're reloading for fun it's not much of a problem. I haven't had a problem with rimmless cartridges that I shoot matches with.

With a semi-auto shooting factory I'd be looking hard at the striker assembly. Make sure no manufacturing leftovers are there.

My SR-9 is 100% reliable with a little CLP lube. It isn't accurate unless it's greased-up. For matches I grease it.

wingspar

Bearcat
Armybrat":24avzqni said:
I've had a total of 15 "light strikes" in 250 rounds run downrange thru my SR9 in two sessions.
The indentations left on those 15 primers varied from almost normal, to slight, and a couple without a mark.
Guess the striker or it's channel are still dirty, so I am gonna open it up tomorrow for another thorough cleaning - have been busy around the house with remodeling renovations.... time's been a bit tight.

I wonder after reading Doble Troble's post if you reload, or was this factory ammo?

The SR9 is on my wish list, but it isn't the only one on the list. There are a couple of non Rugers on the list.

I dry fired a new SR9 in a store yesterday. Trigger felt gritty and jerky. Normal?

piratedude

Single-Sixer
I used to have "light strikes" with my Glock 19 when using Winchester White Box.

Cheap White Box tends to do that in my experience.

wingspar

Bearcat
All I've ever shot in my Marlin Camp 9 ( A 9mm carbine ) is the 115 grain Winchester white box, and have never heard of "Light Strikes" till this thread. I wonder if this is a hand gun thing.

The Glock 19 is one of the other hand guns on my wish list.

jhearne

Buckeye
I get light strikes on my MKIII but haven't had any on my SR9. Been trying to narrow it down to an ammo type or the gun, but haven't had enough trigger time with it to say.

It can happen on any gun, but I'd say it's more an issue on Pistols (Semi-Autos or even revolvers too, can't confirm personally) just because of the sheer number of rounds one person can put through one in it's lifetime. You might shoot a box of rounds through a deer rifle a year, heck even half a box max. Some shoot 1000 rounds a month in their pistols. But that doesn't mean EVERY gun WILL do it, just means every gun is capable. YMMV

If it's a problem that won't fix on it's own it could be something obstructing the firing pin or striker keeping it from finishing it's stroke. Or if it's a inconsistent problem it could just be a dirty pin/striker channel, the dirt moves in and out of the way of the pin/striker's travel. Sometimes it can just be bad ammo, if it looks like it struck hard enough dispose of the ammo in a manner in line with the range's safety measures....a round outside of a chamber is more like a grenade (explosion plus shrapnel, case and bullet) than a controlled projectile. Re-use ammo at your own risk. That said, I have attempted to re-fire a .22 LR round, in some cases the pin hits hard enough, but doesn't activate the primer. Rechambering and reorientating the round usually results in an ok round, a few have not fired at all.

Josh

flyers76

Bearcat
Armybrat":10kk6yem said:
Went to a local indoor gun range a couple days ago to start breaking in my newly purchased SR9 (17+1, all black).

Being the lazy type, I just loaded it with 115 gr WWB & shot it out of the box without any cleaning whatsoever. Did check the bore prior for obstructions, of course.

The 1st mag went smoothly, but then I got 9 light strikes in the next two mags. Reloaded them, and 4 subsequently did their job while 5 never went down range.

After that, the next 6 mags full ran through like butter.

Was shooting @ 10 yards - the pistola in my hands tended to hit about 2"-3" to the left of aiming point.

I forgot all about the shooter's pie chart so as to correct this, but was more interested in the break-in. Guess there was some kind of burr or gunk messin' up the striker a bit at first.

I'll run another 150 or so rounds through it next week.

This piece is not intended to be carried, but rather a range plinker.

I scored a couple 100 count WWB 9mm at Academy yesterday at $23.99/box.

Cleaned the fieldstripped piece very thoroughly afterwards. It was as dirty as a politician's secret bank account.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this sleek well made firearm, and it will be a pleasure to keep it in my modest Ruger collection.
Have shot close to 1,000 rounds so far, mostly Blazer CCI 115-g FMJ, some S&B and WWB...very first range visit had 2 stovepipes, none since..but this last trip had a problem with trigger not resetting after a reload..may have just been because I didn't pull slide back far enough...dropped mag, manually pushed trigger forward and then emptied chamber and was fine from there on...
Anybody have any experience shooting Cor-Bon +P 115-g JHP? Have bought a box for SD, hear it is one of top SD rounds available..just wondering on difference in recoil from a standard JHP 115-g round (no, haven't fired it at range yet -- at $30 per 20 rounds I'd rather not waste them on targets).