My powder rant

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Started my search for powder for reloading my new to me .357 Maximum. Not a rant about finding what I want (IMR 4227). I found it at a lot of places but when I went to check out they want paid by Venmo, Zelle, or PayPal which I don't want to do or set up. One place would even take Bitcoin. Why don't these places take a standard credit/debit card? Are they that worried about fake cards/scams/chargebacks?

Still have to call a few local places to see if they have any in stock and walk in with cash.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Started my search for powder for reloading my new to me .357 Maximum. Not a rant about finding what I want (IMR 4227). I found it at a lot of places but when I went to check out they want paid by Venmo, Zelle, or PayPal which I don't want to do or set up. One place would even take Bitcoin. Why don't these places take a standard credit/debit card? Are they that worried about fake cards/scams/chargebacks?

Still have to call a few local places to see if they have any in stock and walk in with cash.
Be careful of businesses that only take Venmo and Zelle, they can be scams, and you have no recourse.
You send the $$,and get nuttin.

Good info, I was suspicious when big name, well known places were all OOS and they seemed to have plenty. Also, all the checkouts seemed to be set up very much the same way. I'll get back on tomorrow and write their sites down and put them here to warn people.

wheelerdan

Bearcat
Aside from the scam artists, I have done considerable testing of bullets and powders in the maximum. You did not mention your platform, revolver or single shot. Mine is a 14" CVA scout converted to Max. 4227, AA#9, 2400, 296/110 powders are best for bullets weighing less than 150 grains, in may application. 296/110 are probably the generic burn-rate-powder in 158 gain class bullets. However, I am convinced that true performance with the Max is realized with bullet ranging 180-200 grain. In my gun, cast 205 grain bullets can be shot almost as fast as jacketed 180s. With these loads, powders like Lil Gun, 11FS (AA1680) become most useful. The others are too fast for these weight bullets. In my powder pageant 11FS won. It was a little faster with a little less pressure than LilGun, but it was close. 1680 worked OK, but loads had to be compressed and I do not like the hear that crunch. My 14" single shot platform 205 grain cast bullets make over 2000 FPS with reasonable pressure with an appropriate amount of 11FS. Best of all, I could find 11FS for purchase. NOTE: ALL TESTING WAS DONE WITH CCI450 MAGNUM SMALL RIFLE PRIMERS. These are rifle level pressure so this is important. These loads far exceed a 44 mag in trajectory or energy. They also exceed any loading manual data. However, these are safe in my gun. Cases fall out of the chamber and primers remain round and not dimpled. Test at your own risk and do not listen to me. I do recommend 11FS powder in the Max with heavy bullets. More velocity, lower pressure, and less blast than the 296/100 series. Hope this helps.

contender

Ruger Guru
wheelerdan,

Ron's gun is the Ruger revolver. And he's going to use the same bullet designed by David Bradshaw. David is also the same person who assisted Ruger in the development of the Ruger Maxi. David designed a cast bullet, with a gas check, and weighs 195 grns. His extensive testing has shown that IMR 4227 is the best powder for that bullet.

I got a couple of the same molds that David designed. I too did some extensive testing. I came to the same conclusion. IMR 4227 was the powder to use for that combination.

I just supplied Ron with the necessary bullets too.

arcee

Bearcat
How I find Powder in todays environment. Go on internet to the Hodgdon reloading site. Select your round/caliber. Select all powders and load the data. Each load will show the powder for the load and then if it is available from Hodgdon or not. Hodgdon is now direct selling to us the consumer. They are selling Accurate, Hodgdon, Winchester, and Ramshot. The prices on the Hodgdon site are comprable to MIDWAY, POWDER VALLEY, etc. They are not a scam and the Reloading site lets you tailor your search for the cartridges you want. It also shows options you may not have considered.

Old guy suggestion only. Times are tough.
v/r RC

Wheelerdan - Thank you for the info but I was not looking for loading advice, just the problems finding the IMR 4227. I have been reloading for over 40 years and know how to work up loads. I already have a load to start with for my Ruger Blackhawk .357 Maximum, 7 1/2" barrel revolver

Arcee - Thank you also. I did go to the Hodgon site and when I checked it said "The selected product combination is currently unavailable." Powder Vally is also out of stock, as is MidawayUSA, Mid South Shooters Supply, Brownells, and Shooters Choice

As for my post before this one, here are only a few names who only accept Apple Pay, PayPal, CashApp, Zelle or Venmo. No place to pay by credit/debit card:
ammo-reloadingshop.com
goldammo.org
thereloadershouse.com
primershop.com
primer12.com

Still need to do some local and internet searching.

I found some!! MidSouth had it in stock but when I went to buy it they said they wouldn't ship. I called them today and it was a DUH! on me. The girl I talked to looked at my account and said it showed a PO box - and of course they won't ship to a PO box. Changed my address to show my physical address and the order went right through.

We do not get door to door mail delivery where I live, we have to use the PO and that's what we put on our correspondence. We do get UPS and FedEx (both) with no problem. Also found out a long time ago the UPS uses the USPS locator to check addresses and since we don't get mail to the house the locator will say that is an invalid address. I have to tell people to send it anyway, it will be delivered.

Well, after finally getting my 4227, I loaded my first batch of .357 Maximum cartridges for my Ruger Maximum

Bullet: Cast 194 gr Bradshaw-Martin (cast and powder coated (brown) by member Contender)
Brass: Winchester, R-P, Starline
Powder: IMR 4227 18.5 grs
Primer: CCI 400 Small Rifle

Also did a batch with a little lighter bullet

Bullet: 180 gr powder coated (red) from Missouri Bullet Co.
Brass: Winchester
Powder: IMR4227 18.0 grs
Primer: CCI 400 Small Rifle

Last edited: