My Pa. Hunt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
As I walked into my Grandma's retirement cottage, I could smell the unmistakable aroma of pan seared pork chops wafting thru the air. These would then be baked, along with some potatoes, for my traditional Sunday night supper, before Buck season. They would also be served with this years home canned sweet corn, from my now cousins farm. My grandma and Pap got it from his father, then my uncles, and now my cousins. Four generations have farmed this land, to feed their dairy herd.

It was great to see Grandma ! She's 89 yrs. young, and has had the misfortune of burying 5 of her children, my Mom being the latest, this past summer. After catching up on what my cousins, aunts, and uncles were up to, we sat down to dinner.

After dinner, it was time to pack my lunch, for a full day in the woods. Dark to dark ! Now this lunch isn't going to win any nutritional awards. But it serves its purpose. It gives me something to look forward to, is high calorie, to stoke the furnace, and keep you warm, and it just plain taste good ! I start with 3 sandwiches made of lebonnan bologna, smoked cheddar cheese, and spicey mustard. You can only get GOOD lebonnan bologna in Pa., period ! All others are counterfeit. For those that never had the pleasure, lebonnan bologna has a smokey, sweet taste that is balanced heaven. It comes from where else, Lebonnan, Pa. Pennsylvannia is an ethnic smorgasboard of different cultures. Poles, German, Italian, Slavs, you name it. And they all like to eat, and are partial to foods from their heritage.

Next up are gobs. Gobs are also known as whoopi pies, in the Mennonite community. These are two chocolate cake halves, slathered with vanilla icing in the center. I got these at the local gas station, on my way to Grandma's. They are made by a local neighbor woman. I also bought 2 large snickers bars there, for my lunch. Been eating snickers during deer season since I was a kid.

Two granny smith apples round out my lunch. Juicy and tart, they cut thru all the junk in the afternoon.

As always, a fitfull nights sleep followed. I awoke at 5:00 am, started the coffee, and got dressed, and brushed my teeth. After a cup of coffee, it was of to the woods. 15 minutes later, I was walking to my stand. I walked about 3/4 mile, to go around the area I would be hunting, rather than 200 yds, straight to my stand.

Once in my stand, I had about 40 minutes to cool off, gaither my thoughts, and waite for day break. I was packing my Ruger Bisley Hunter w/ Robb Barnes rear sight, in .45 Colt, stoked with home cast 454424 260 gr. water quenched bullets over 20.0 grs. of 2400, ignited by Win. LP primer. Come on Mr. Buck !

pahunt011.jpg

Daylight came and went. I only saw 2 does and 2 fawns, and a single doe all day ! I drug my weary body out of my hillbilly hotel, and walked back to my truck.

pahunt016.jpg

Tuesday was much like the first day, 9 does and fawns seen all day. I still had a great hunt, tho'. Just being out in the fresh air, open space, packing a good sixgun, watching nature, sounds like a good day to me. I never realized how many traditions I have ingrained in my hunting repoire. From meals before, during, and after. To the wearing of my Woolrich 'good luck' hunting vest in traditional red/black plaid. I wear this with honor, as my Pap, and his also, wore, with pride.

Even tho' I didn't get my buck, I still had a ton of good memories. I'm just glad I'm old enough to know how to enjoy and appreciate them.

pahunt020.jpg

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Great write-up, Jeff.

I too had my traditional PA hunt this year...dinner, lunches (also Lebanon bologna and spicy mustard). Unfortunately, other than squirels and a red fox, I didn't see a single deer.

Great gun, great rig, great story. Nice going!!

Where in PA are you hunting? I was in Wyoming County (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area).

BB45C

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
BB45C, I was in Blair county, 20 miles south of Altoona. On my way up, I passed several horse and buggies, Mennonites. It always humbles me to see them, in our hectic world of today.

pahunt008.jpg

I saw this guy ! He wanted my apples !

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
WingMaster, I love It ! It's not a Baranti, but will do. It comfortably carries my Bisley all day ! I think the optional bandolier makes it ! I like seeing those big, cast slugs on the holster :D .

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Is your 45 Hunter a "Superless" Blackhawk Hunter - see the following thread:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=66977

If so, your serial number would extend the range...

I grew up in Western Berks County and spent many fine days hunting that part of PA and I still hunt on the Blue Mountain just north of Lebanon County. Not quite as many deer as we have down where I live just outside of Valley Forge park but then again there are plenty of places to hunt in that part of the state compared to here where the deer just live in people's back yards.

Great pics but please confirm how your gun is marked...

Thanks,
Ken

WingMaster

Bearcat
Jeff Hoover":1ir2yyof said:
WingMaster, I love It ! It's not a Baranti, but will do. It comfortably carries my Bisley all day ! I think the optional bandolier makes it ! I like seeing those big, cast slugs on the holster :D .

I agree about the shells on the bandolier. Very nice.

I think I may need to get one for my 7 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk. Mine isn't a Bisley but I think it will look - and ride - just as sweet as yours does. I'd love a Baranti but just can't swing that price tag - this Galco rig is "slightly" more do-able for me.

Thanks again.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Love that holster.
PA deer season is definitely different. Haven't missed one in 49 years. Schools, offices and plants still close for it. Almost missed it the year my daughter was born on the evening of the first day.
Didn't have my Ruger along this time, but did have my Lebanon deer bologna in my pack. Essen gutt!
Bfly

ltbarber

Bearcat
+1 on the lebanon!
+1 on the gobs!
+1 on the gun!
+1 on the story!
I can smell the pork chops!

A fellow pennsylneckie :)

reakin

Single-Sixer
Mmm, whoopie pies. I like mine with peanutbutter filling. Them PA Amish girls can bake! Seriously good eating.

reakin