My P89 Grip Stipple project [pictures]

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Al James

Hunter
Thanks for the idea! It feels good in the hand and I'm glad that I broke up the hogue monopoly in my life. I would like to get a pair of those uncle mikes grips to try also.

WayniacKT,

I was scanning through some older posts when I came across this one and realized I have been negligent in thanking you for your response to my question about the grip screws. I must have not hit the submit button when I typed a reply to you last year. Thanks again for the information. I still haven't tried the project, but it's still something I'm considering.

Cordially,

nonoffensivename

WayniacKT said:
"TruthNotRelative" a member on this site had recommended this idea originally.

I purchased Hogue grip screws for a Sig P230.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=407181

You will have to tap out the threads for the grips larger. (not sure what the size was but i can look tonight if you like).
I then also had to us a washer (5mil) to fill space as the screw is not threaded all the way to the head. That actually was a good thing as it created a better surface to hold the grip in.
They stand just a hair proud of the grips but not enough to notice when in your hand or drawing the gun.

Just be very careful when doing the retap. The aluminum can break and then your done for. Just take your time.

The main reason i changed mine our is that one of the original screws had stripped so i had to do something. I didn't have much to loose so i tried this.

It did turn out nice and the silver looks good. The allen head screw is a nice thing as well.

Good Luck.

wildturk

Single-Sixer
tkarter said:
I am going to have a go at my P89 as I like the factory grips better than the Hogue.

Both of you did an excellent job.

tk

You know the Hogue grip can be "seperated" and then it is just like the OE grip, only better. I like the finger grooves on the hogue, but did the mod to a set of Hogue, and I like the feel w/o the grooves. I have it on my KP944.