My Newest Mini-14 Tactical Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LawMan

Bearcat
My Newest Ruger .223 from Stock to upgrades (I did not buy a conversion kit, this came this way from Ruger..)

Mini14.jpg

Added Red Dot, Tac Light (which have since added laser not shown, and Ruger Front handle)

Mini14FrontHandleNCStarRedDot.jpg

Almost complet with the strap. I have since added a Muzzle Brake (not shown)

DSCF3465.jpg

Nice tactical mini-14 rifle that I didn't have to convert, folding stock, etc. I have a 30 round Ruger Mag and 20 round Ruger Mag so far. Going to pick up one more 30 round for it loaded with Hornady ammo ( I know, a lot of money for that ammo, but good stuff.)

I am glad ruger started making the tactical Mini-14. Everyone that I have shown it to, does not believe its a Mini-14. Nice rifle, built nice, and with the muzzle brake it added about 1 1/2 to the rifle making it easier to fit in my gun safe :D

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Looks great Lawman. Glad you are loving the mini.

The stainless model had been drawing my eye, but I just can't justify it right now. It appears Ruger is going after more tactical customers as of late.

Good luck with your mini and glad to have you aboard the forum.

LawMan

Bearcat
Thanks Wixedmords! Just got back from the range to dial in the RedDot. I have to say that Mini-14 shot perfectly! Once the RedDot was sighted in, I started more rapid fire, etc. The rifle, and the RedDot stood the test for about 50+ rounds (put a 30 rd mag, 20 rd, and then reloaded about 10 more rounds, too poor to buy more right now.... :wink: ).

I have shot multiple AR-15's and like them, however, after shooting this Mini-14, I have to say I liked the way it shot better than the AR-15 in my opinion (not putting down AR's, as I have shot many). It may just be that I am so used to shooting an AR that the Mini-14 tactical rifle just felt different, and I really liked it. My buddy (also law enforcement, and military vet) shot and is now looking to buying one for himself.

Anyway, I want to put a lot more rounds through it before coming to my definate conculsion. But ammo right now will nearly put you in bankruptcy.... :wink: But no jams, RedDot sight stayed in line during rapid fire. I really like it!

Take Care

wixedmords

Blackhawk
I know what you mean about ammo prices LawMan. I reload 223 and 556 and keep myself extremely well stocked with loading supplies so I am not AS effected as those who buy loaded ammo, but prices have really gone up in the last few years, mostly in the last 9 months.

I have to do the same testing of a reddot on my PC4. I am not sure I am going to use it, it really depends on if I can acquire a sight picture as quick as open sights, but I will decide that after testing.

Shoot the crap out of that mini LawMan. When you find a firearm you enjoy, keep with it. :)

LawMan

Bearcat
kentuckyyeti":n28gvjyk said:
Wow! That looks good. Nothing like my old Mini 14 with the wooden handguard that I had!

Thanks Kentuckyyeti! I am really happy with it and happy when Ruger started making some different types of Tactical weapons. But to be honest, when I purchased this, I went to the Gun Store that I have used for years with the thought of purchasing a Bushmaster .223 that I have had my eye (good price that they had on it as well). However, I see this Mini-14 tactical model and didn't even recognize it at first. But when I did I messed around with it, and then saw the price $699....looked on the shelf and there was another mini-14 (standard Ranch Rifle "not a tactical model") for $649. So for $50 more I purchased the tactical model.

You can buy the "Strikeforce" conversion kit that I have seen for $100. So for this one to already come from Ruger like this, I didn't have to hassle with converting, etc, there was no way I was walking out without this firearm (plus they only had this one in stock and I saw another guy who kept looking at it hovering around it, so I just never let go of it :D )

clepidus

Bearcat
I like it! I am really liking the front handle too. Im not sure what direction mine is going to take. I know from experience not to goto the 30rd mags though. They get expensive to refill!

Im choosing the shurfire lights just because I have both an 80 and 120 lumin light from my snake catching days.

Keep us posted on the progress, I am still anxiously awaiting the arival of mine.