My new to me SBH....yippeee

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
Went to a gun show today in Maine and traded my GP100 for this beautiful Super Blackhawk 44 mag, 5 1/2" barrel. Traded even, he included a box of fifty 265 grain ammo and sold me two additional boxes for $20 dollars apiece. The serial number dates it to 1986. Came with the matching box..no paperwork. He was not a dealer but had a table set up with his own personal guns. The bluing is gorgeous, not a scratch on it anywhere and its as tight as a new gun. Could someone tell me if these sights are original. Also the gun has a great plum petina to it, especially the loading gate. I did notice when out in the sunlight it differs from the frame which doesn't have the same plum color. Is this normal or is there a chance the grip frame is not the original. Felt I made a good deal, what do you folks think? The serial number is 8564xxx. Do I have the correct date? Are they as strong as the new SBH? Sorry for all the questions......I'm excited!

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

deac45

Single-Sixer
Even trade for a GP plus ammo in my neck of the woods is a darn good deal! I would say it's just as strong and durable as any newer SBH. Beautiful gun. Give us a range report when you can.

deac45

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I was there a little after 9:30 this morning. Looed at every Ruger there at least twice. Bought one ( a minty 10/22) and looked at a pretty nice .22lr Bisley for $325. Was hoping to add another #1 but none there were of interest. The 7mm Mag almost but I can't stand the seller.
Our own 41mag has his tables but was busy when I went by so didn't want to bother him. My brother was swamped at his tables.
Good to see you grabbed something you wanted! :)

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
Thats funny, I was also there at about 9:40 this morning with my wife. Very crowded and hard to get a look at some guns.

rbertalotto

Bearcat
Those sights look like the type used in silhouette shooting from the 80s.

Ruger uses a lot of investment cast parts and they tend to not "blue" well. They turn purple. Some folks say it was because the blueing tank was too hot and others say using WD40 creates the purple color. A few years ago I sent some parts back to Ruger to have them reblued as I didn't like the plum color on a few rifles I owned.

But just recently I was looking at a brand new, current Ruger rifle and it had plum color parts.......

Nice piece BTW.........

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
rbertalotta, I guess its in the eye of the beholder. I love that plum look, gives it some character and an aged look.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
jpb in me":xybmwpcb said:
Thats funny, I was also there at about 9:40 this morning with my wife. Very crowded and hard to get a look at some guns.

Have to coorindate times next time!

rbertalotto

Bearcat
I guess its in the eye of the beholder

I agree. Years ago, before I knew any better, I had a Ruger 77 rifle that had a plum receiver, I thought Ruger did this on purpose. I actually liked the way it looked.....But now I like a nice gun metal blue.........

Aggie01

Blackhawk
That is a Millet rear sight assy. I can't find them online anymore but my old Midwayusa catalog lists them at $39.99.

Difference in color does not mean that any part has been replaced. Ruger casts their parts at different times and different steel blends can occur that affect coloring as it ages.

It's a bull strong gun. Any published .44 Mag load is fine.

I also traded a GP100 for a 5.5" SBH, but, I traded it to Ruger (it had a cracked cylinder, they offered to replace, and I asked for a SBH).

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
thanks for the info Aggie. How did you crack a GP cylinder?
Love that line " "I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. "