My "new to me" Ruger old model Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OB_WAN

Bearcat
Well, I'm learning why collecting ruger's is such a fun thing to do.

I recently purchased a Ruger Single Six with serial number 3532XX.

It was manufactured in Dec '62 and shipped out the door in Jan '63. It was sold as catalog #: RSSMX-RE. I know the Ruger Single Six Magnum Xtra cylinder. but don't know the -RE, maybe Ruger Enterprise?

now for my collector curiosity. Yes, it listed as a magnum with a Xtra cylinder. It is also listed on the side as a "Single Six" with no magnum reference. I received confirmation that although it was shipped as a RSSMX, it was actually a Single Six convertible. This gun has both cylinders stamped(not scribed) with the last 3 digits of the serial #. I have no idea if that has significance. This might actually have been quite common in 62-63(after the magnum-only, before the super single six), I don't know. That's the "fun" part about the ruger collecting, it seems like Ruger didn't really have much of a mass-produce mentality when it came to making these guns, some of the rules changed every year or two, some stayed the same.

It has some nice oil-soaked walnut grips with a few dings, a few scratches and a little blueing wear at the muzzle, as it should. can't wait to take it out and shoot it.

The gun has not been molested by Ruger with the safety gate conversion and it's staying just the way it is.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've not heard of or seen such a Catalog Number........ :?:
Now, perhaps, some confusion exists and the RE is actually referring to the XR3-RED grip frame...... I dunno.

The RSSMX nomenclature, after the demise of the .22 WMR markings on the cylinder frames, designates a 6-1/2" barreled Single-Six with two cylinders.
At that time Ruger still considered the RSSM's as .22 magnums and did indeed ship some examples with only the .22 mag. cylinder. In addition, your example likely has a steel ejector housing.

flatgate

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I agree with Flatgate,, in that it's confusing with the nomenclature you posted. Did you get that info from Ruger Records? Off the box? Where? (The part in question is the "RE" part.) It definately doesn't stand for Ruger Enterprise.
Also how did you discover it was made in Dec '62 & shipped in Jan '63?
Interesting post!

OB_WAN

Bearcat
Thank you for the information.

the catalog # came from calling a rep @ ruger and getting details on the gun based on the serial #. Unfortunately I do not have the original box(came with a super single six box) to confirm what they pulled from their records.

Here's what Ruger said about the serial #:
cat#: RSSMX-RE
Single-Six Convertible
Mfg in Dec '62
Shipped in Jan '63

americal

Hunter
Welcome to forum :D you have a very nice single six :) ALL my RSSMX guns the factory letter does NOT have the RE on the letter. LIKE Contender said Interesting--what Ruger said --Call back & get them to send you A letter on the gun NEVER heard of RE either :?

OB_WAN

Bearcat
I will definitely ask them to send me something. I thought it was peculiar as well.

Curious, did all single six 6 1/2" convertibles from this era have both cylinders stamped with the serial #? Here's what gunblast.com says:

The standard Single-Six with dual cylinders (without the "Magnum" marking on the cylinder frame which will be covered in a separate series on the "Magnum Only" Single-Sixes) began to appear around 1961 in the 4-5/8, 5-1/2, and 9-1/2 inch barrel lengths. Both the .22 caliber cylinder and the .22 Rim Fire Magnum cylinder were fluted. The extra cylinder, the .22 Magnum in this case, had the last three digits of the serial number stamped on its front face near the cylinder base pin hole. During 1963 Ruger began numbering the extra cylinder with an electric pencil rather than stamping the numbers. Normally you will find both cylinders numbered with the last three digits of the serial number when the electric pencil procedure began being used.

Ruger made several changes in their single action revolvers in 1962/63. Three of the most notable changes were the new redesigned black anodized grip frame (marked XR3-RED) versus the original XR3 grip frame, the change to oil filled Walnut grips versus varnished Walnuts, and an aluminum alloy ejector rod housing versus the steel housing.

The 6-1/2 inch barrel length was added to the standard Single-Six line around late 1962/ early 1963. Thus these gun were available in four barrel lengths ( 4-5/8", 5-1/2", 6-1/2", and 9-1/2" ) from about 1962/63 until the end of old model or "three screw " production in 1972. The 9-1/2" and 4-5/8" are the most scarce.