My new to me GP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bearlaker

Bearcat
gp1001.jpg

gphogue.jpg

Pardon the poor pictures. 1989 gun, imported by Century Arms. I traded a very nice Beretta 92S for it.
I think I like the factory grips better than the Hogues. I can't wait to shoot it later today where I'll see which grip feels better. This is my first GP. It has a better than I expected trigger pull. What do you guys say about dry firing it? I have a few times, couldn't resist.
Is there anyway of finding out where Century imported this from?

e3mrk

Bearcat
Congrats.
The GP's are great Revolvers.
Dry Firing should be no problem as it has a transfer Bar that raises between the Hammer and Firing Pin but to be on the safe side I would buy some Snap Caps to practice with so the Pin has something to hit against.
You need to watch the Pivot Pin on the rear Sights as They have been known to work Their way out and fall to the Ground,They are not easy to see when this happens(I Know).
That being said,Congratulations on a great Firearm and happy shooting.

Legionnaire

Single-Sixer
Nice! My 4" GP is stainless, but I feel a blued one calling.

Far as grips go, despite the fact that I have large hands, I really like the smaller factory grip from the fixed-sight GPs (not the same grip as the SP101, but the SP101 inserts fit it). For some reason, I just like the smaller grip. Try it! You might like it!

Bearlaker

Bearcat
Thanks guys.
By the time I got out to try her out yesterday, the wind had picked up quite a bit, so I just kind of plinked with loads ranging from mild .38 sp to very warm .357, and now I wish I'd gotten a GP100 years ago.
I didn't even shoot it with the Hogue grip, that is more in line with a six inch gun, I think.
Oh, and I'd shot 40 or 50 rounds when I thought about the rear sight pin. I looked to see it still there so I kept shooting. When I got home I checked it with a small punch and moved it a little bit.
Is there a quick fix for that? I don't want to lose it.

I'll look for one of those Legionnaire, thanks.

e3mrk

Bearcat
I removed the Pin and used Locktite to reinstall it and I haven't had a problem since.

Bearlaker

Bearcat
Cool, thanks e3mrk!
If I disassemble the gun, am I taking a chance of screwing up the timing?
eta
After watching a couple of videos and reading the owners manual online, I see that's a dumb question.