My New Takedown Won't Feed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Artie

Bearcat
I recently got a new 10-22 takedown rifle, I put a Hogue stock on it before I took it out to shoot it. (Flat Dark Earth to match my Ruger American in .223)

I have had a 10-22 rifle for years, and use both the 10 round and BX25 mags for it, and have never had a feed issue with it... Gobbles up and feeds everything.

The new Takedown, I had problems with the 10 round box mag right off the bat, with rounds sort of stovepiping, or jamming, missing feeding into the chamber and hanging up in the receiver.

I tried the BX 25, and out of the 4 bx's I have for it, the gun will run on 3 of them, but the last BX has the same feed issues as the little 10 round box mag. It won't go past two rounds before rounds missing the chamber and jamming.

The 3 that seem to work do have an occasional feed hang up, having to eject that round, or knock it out of the receiver and rack the bolt to feed the next round.

I am using all different brands of .22's, so not an ammo problem... all that ammo works in my 10-22 rifle with those same mags. Except the 10 rd box mag that came with the Takedown... that did not feed in the 10-22 either.

I did adjust the ring that tightens up the fit of the Takedown, to make it a little tighter when I first got it, it seemed to be pretty loose out of the box.

Any ideas on what would be causing the feed issue? I was hoping it would be as reliable as the 10-22 rifle I have had. I am surprised it is giving me fits every time we take it to the range.

Thanks for any input!

contender

Ruger Guru
In general,,, it's often a magazine issue with problems you mention. However,, may I suggest you swap out the stock, back to the factory one, and only tighten things in the same fashion they were to begin with? I always recommend testing a firearm as it was shipped before tinkering with mods. Then do only one modification at a time. That way, you can diagnose a problem with each mod you do, if one pops up.

Artie

Bearcat
Thanks Contender for responding.

I hear ya on not tinkering till trying it out out of the box. I agree, but I thought a different stock wouldn't effect the internals... I saw a vid on Youtube about a takedown not cycling and it was about the barrel adjuster being loose.

My rifle did seem to be "loose" as there was hardly any tension when twisting the two halves together, so I tightened it up a little by adj. the nut on the receiver out a little.

I should have shot it first before I tightened that nut up... I thought I was going to avoid problems by adj. it. I will loosen it back up and try that.

Might be a mag issue, but I don't see anything obvious on the mags... and the problem bx25 mag works ok in my other 10/22.

I posted thinking others may have had a similar situation with the takedown.

Artie

Bearcat
UPDATE:

I left the Hogue FDE stock on 'cause it just looks and feels so nice I had to get this thing to work right without having to go back to the original black plastic.

I set the barrel tension adjusting ring back to where it was and although it feels looser putting the barrel and rec. together... that's where Ruger had it.

I took the BX1 mag that came with the gun apart and back together winding the spring to 1 1/2 turns, cause it felt like there was not enough tension on the rounds before I did that. (never had a problem with all the BX1 mags. I have, but there's always a first time I guess).

I cycled 10 rounds in and out of the gun over and over with no hang ups so, I think that fixed that.

The BX25 mag that consistently stove piped rounds in the receiver, I took that apart, although everything looked alright, I put a brass bushing on the follower pin (just a ground down .22 shell). I saw that done somewhere on YouTube... I lubed the spring lightly, put it back together, and cycled 25 rounds in and out of the gun, just running the bolt back and forth. They all fed and ejected. Before it would not load the first round, so I will see when I get back to the range but as of now, things are looking up.

I ordered a Kidd magazine latch with the beefier spring due to the BX25 mags seem to move back and forth a good bit, so if this gives me more problems feeding rounds, I will try the new latch, didn't cost much, so won't go to waste if it works without it I'll stick it in anyways.

I'll post back how it runs after I get back to the range. (man I wish I could just go outback and shoot off the porch!) Sure are lucky if you are able to do that on your property. That is a top priority if we get land or move in the future... have to be able to shoot on our own property!!

rrent

Bearcat
The manual has instructions on "adjustments necessary to ensure proper lockup the first time the barrel is installed".
I followed these instructions and have had good luck with my Charger takedown.