My new stainless Bisley 45 - one tiny concern

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dtrayers

Bearcat
Picked this one up last week to complement my GP100MC. Last fall when it looked like the other one was going to win the white house, I learned how to reload because I thought ammo was going to get scarce. So when I got the itch for a single action, I figured the .45 Colt was a nice versatile cartridge, especially when shooting from a BH with heavier loads, and I would be able to tailor it to my needs.

I handled a 7.5" SBH but didn't like the longer barrel. I also was able to handle a smaller Ruger Vaquero Bisley and liked the grip, but I wanted the large frame for the bigger loads. So when I came across this one with a 5.5" barrel I grabbed it. The fit and finish are above average for Ruger... no obvious tool marks, gaps, or open seams. Cylinder gap measures at 0.005". I got some soft lead sinkers from Cabela's (the 1/2" size work perfect) and the cylinder throats are .4520" - .4525". With all the talk about Ruger .45 cylinders being undersized, I was obsessing a little. More on this later.

The trigger pull weight is a consistent 3lbs 10oz measured with my digital gauge. There is the tiniest amount of creep in the trigger, but watching the hammer as I pull, it seems the sear is neutral. The hammer doesn't move at all. And the creep is smooth... no grittiness. My GP100 has no creep, so I may take it to a gunsmith to get the Bisley to be closer to the GP100, but I'll more than likely live with it.

I was in a hurry, and all I could find at Cabelas for bullets were 250gr Hornady XTP (0.452" dia). So I made two loads: 7gr of Unique and 8gr of Titegroup. The Unique loads were a little slow at 725fps, and the Titegroup were a little hotter at 925, but both were where the manuals said they would be. The Titegroup loads were more consistent, so I think I'll continue to develop those.

The only issue I have is that according to the reloading manual I used, the OAL of the cartridge with the 250gr XTP was 1.600". So that's what I seated them at. But when I tried to load them, they were a little too long... they wouldn't seat all the way in the chamber and I could tell the bullets were binding in the cylinder throat. Of course, I discovered this at the range. :oops: As a result, the cylinder would drag as I rotated it (like a high primer) because the round wasn't fully seated. If I pressed each round fully into the cylinder with my thumb, it would rotate with just the smallest amount of drag. I fired a few rounds for the chrono, and everything ejected smoothly, but I quit early. Back from the range, I reseated the bullets to 1.595 and all the rounds dropped right in (and out) without any binding.

So I should probably ask this in the reloading section, but is 1.600" too long for the XTP bullets? Even though I slugged the cylinders with the lead sinkers, could the throats be too tight? Many manuals have some loads at 1.600" min length, and I'm wondering if this is specific to the XTP bullets or if I have an issue.

Here are a few pics:

y3m31cxYAvHHr-JHrfiW0vcribo4g8cAZPYFeGRCKHIVwF7oA3_qmyb7wfQ29QbjJmU5RzuefQzJJjsxpyEfyT-eutF5FIQULOD67cFugfW3fPJJAu2EELp8pwysSyqQIjHgW1E0qci5QDZhh8KFFJ6kx56_X_4p-HAMVoEeq0LhbQ

y3mZj_rBOHsnw0d17UDit8EDG1-hQJIL6ota38g2AokTF7mhhLfAYipi_zg2aW_-hUT5qSx9aSw90VaX2yb1CY_in9a0zg0kL4zFh5o9FGqz0_MLCQpyBkOiNK286NBx7LTuuBZbAbqu3MFlCBvk1Yj-DO6gBJkZK4uOoFPJljtY7M

y3mnSzV_kG1TNhqx0EwL9YRdg6ApHc4o90jzfD828HD6K88ATH60pzxX43YIXBSVSWCANr5UI9W07TM9_cKbLNIq0PJdGeM_FW6227Ee7qk9AJg1q6Pkp5kd3UyFlie9511OYNXcGmMHCRNN0XCjfjQVxhslxwec5fAhQcr8TWNMFI

Rclark

Hunter
Throats are fine. Assume you used pin gauges? In fact all of my .45s needed reaming to .4525. Now, what is the diameter of your bullets that your bought? I've never been concerned with OAL (except with ACP). Just crimp in the crimp groove and your good to go. You shouldn't be having any problem that I am aware of. Since reaming, any .452 bullet in mine go through the throats with just finger pressure as it should.

Oh ... Nice revolver too!

Mus408

Hunter
I have one also and load 255 gr. SWC bullets at 9.5 grs. of Unique and it is a great all around load.
Had it out yesterday and shot a few 315 gr hammerhead loads over 10 gr. of Unique with no issues of sore hand/wrist. Those really ring the steel plates good!

As mentioned just seat to the crimp groove where mine come in at 1.575.
The Bisley BH is a great .45 shooter that is hard to put down!

dtrayers

Bearcat
@Mus408... I saw your post. Looks like I have the same revolver. What bullets do you use for the 255 and 315? I bought the XTP because that's what I could grab, but I'd like something more economical.

pisgah

Buckeye
I seat the 250 XTPs to the cannelure and they drop right in to my Blackhawk Bisley and shoot with exceptional accuracy. I couldn't even tell you what the OAL is without getting one and measuring it. Don't pay too much attention to the OAL quoted in reloading manuals when it comes to loading for a revolver. If the bullet being used has a cannelure, that's your sign as to where it should be seated.

PS -- Just for grins, I checked one of mine. Seated to the midpoint of the cannelure, mine go 1.597.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I think that you are trying to over think the whole process. This year marks 50 years that I've been reloading and things have changed over the 5 decades, particularly powder and bullets. I load a lot of XTP's in multiple calibers from 327 Federal to 480 Ruger and I simply seat on the high side of the cannelure with a good roll crimp. Never had a fit issue in any revolver. I'm pretty sure Hornady knows where to put the cannelure. Besides the XTP's, try some Berry's or Rainier plated bullets or Hornady or Speer's swaged lead bullets. I usually load 6gr of Trailboss for my 45 Colt cast bullet loads. I think you'll find Titegroup to be an excellent powder to work with, as well. Bob!! :mrgreen:

Mus408

Hunter
dtrayers said:
@Mus408... I saw your post. Looks like I have the same revolver. What bullets do you use for the 255 and 315? I bought the XTP because that's what I could grab, but I'd like something more economical.

Lately I have been using the 250 and 255 gr hard cast bullets from Better Bullets of Kings Shooter Supply out of Pa.
The 315 gr. bullets were some I had from Matts Bullets.

I am also loading 255 gr. copper plated bullets from Xtreme Bullets which have a slight cut or knurled crimp groove. I loaded those with 9 gr. of Unique for plinking loads for my Ruger Alaskan.

Laser Cast are good too but a bit more expensive.

Latest posts