My New SS Hunter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Guy's/ Gal's,

I have not been into 22's for awhile due to the ammo shortage. I got aggravated and sold all 9 of my 22's. Here recently I have gotten the itch and now that you can find 22 ammo I have been buying some 22 guns again. When I recently saw the Mark IV Hunter I was not even interested in the Mark Series until I saw this new model. I went and paid for a Mark IV and also bought a Mark III Competition Model while I was there. While waiting on the Mark IV to come in I replaced all the parts on the Mark III with Volquartsen parts. That pistol is so sweet that after 5 weeks of waiting to get the Mark IV in I have decided that I really do not need the IV since the III is really perfect.

Anyway went to the LGS and had him cancel the Mark IV Hunter and I picked up a Single Six Hunter instead. I am very happy with the SS Hunter.

I have very small hands and while I was reading about the Single Six some where, they mentioned that Altamont had slim grips for the Single Six. I did not see them on their web page so I contacted them by email. They told me that they do not make the (Cowboy Fighter) grips anymore.

I really wanted a slimmer set so I have 2 set's of old around 1972 Single Six Grips that are not the laminate kind but solid wood (I am not sure what kind of wood). I started filing and sanding them down to make them as skinny as possible. They fit my hand a lot better and I finished them with just a coat of wax. Now I am wondering if I should finish them in Tru-Oil or just leave them as they are. Right now they kind of have that old school look to them. Anyway got some pictures of her today. I really like the lighter look of these grips over the black laminate that come on it.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Chuck you maybe correct. I have done it before used soap and water to rinse the wood. But I am thinking to just leave them the way they are.

Latest posts