My new SS Hunter is in the house!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I got my SS Hunter from Bud's today. It looks fantastic. Fit and finish are probably as good or better than any Ruger I've ever bought. The trigger is the typical crap that you get on a Ruger SA: tons of creep. I did a trigger job on it tonight. It turned out spectacularly! I took the sear notch down to close to 0.012" and the creep is gone. Bent up the springs and have it at about 2.25 lbs. It came with a red case. These are obviously, left over cases from an anniversary gun: Maybe the SBH Anniversary gun? They have the inset for the fancy anniversary logo on the top, but no logo (looks crappy). The case clearly wasn't made for this gun. Oh well, I can live with the case. I can't wait to shoot it. BTW, manufacture date was November 2009. Overall, I'm very happy!

Just so you know, I posted this on the rimfires forum, but it doesn't seem to get a lot of action over there. So I made a few updates and posted it here.

NRA_guy

Bearcat
I have the same gun.

I had to install the free spin pawl. Could not stand the 1-way spin. Installing the free-spin pawl took a little filing and lots of studying the crappy instructions to get the hammer to stay back after installation. Not a simple drop-in.

Also, I am not crazy about the iron sights. Tried some FireSights but they do not fit. Tried a 2xWeaver pistol scope but it looked weird.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
NRA_guy":3clhesie said:
I have the same gun.

I had to install the free spin pawl. Could not stand the 1-way spin. Installing the free-spin pawl took a little filing and lots of studying the crappy instructions to get the hammer to stay back after installation. Not a simple drop-in.

I've done a bunch of free spins. It kind of concerns me that you had trouble getting the hammer to "stay back". That's not normal. Did you figure out what the problem was? I've also done them with a Dremmel and no disassembly (just remove the base pin and cylinder). But that's not the way to do it the first few times. Personally, I love the iron sights that it comes with. They are precise. But I plan to shoot mostly with it scoped. So how's yours shoot?

Latest posts