My New Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press report...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rook

Blackhawk
I've been using my old model Lee 4 hole turret press for the past 20 years or so and I decided to retire it and get the newer classic 4 hole turret press this week. I wished I hadn't put off buying the newer model so long because it is an improvement.

One good thing about it is it's easier on the old arm to resize larger casings with it than it is on the shorter stroke of the old turret press.

Another good feature is the way the spent primers fall through the ram and into a plastic tube attached at the bottom of the ram instead of being scattered all over the floor or down into the press like the old press would do.

The base of the newer classic model is made of cast iron instead of aluminum like the old one is made of.

I only bought the press and the newer model pro auto disk powder measure since I already have all the other stuff they sell in the kit.

The pro auto disk powder measure is also more accurate than the old model auto disk measure. I loaded 150 rounds last night and checked the weight on the first 50 on my electronic scales which measure grains in the hundredths before I was comfortable enough to trust it. It was never off more than .06 of a grain and when you're talking about .06 of a grain of powder that's only a very few flakes or spheres.

One thing I found in the past to make primer feeding easier on both the old and new model is to put a small washer underneath the bracket that holds the safety primer arm in place. It increases the height of the feeder just enough to avoid hanging onto the primer arm when the ram is all the way up.

I bought the press on line from Walmart for $100.44 with free shipping. Amazon had the same price with shipping included with Prime but Amazon was out of the presses so I ordered it from Walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lee-Precision-Classic-Turret-Press/24032139

DSCN2844_3.jpg

DSCN2841_2.jpg

Rook

Blackhawk
PO2Hammer said:
Very nice. I really like turret presses.
What are you loading?

.30-06, 500 Mag, .223 and .38 Special this week. I'll do some .45 Colt and .38-40 next.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
I use the same press and have been very pleased with it. I added the adjustable powder charge bar. Try it and you'll never get the discs out again.

Rook

Blackhawk
Galaxiedan said:
I use the same press and have been very pleased with it. I added the adjustable powder charge bar. Try it and you'll never get the discs out again.

I've used the adjustable charge bars with my old 4 hole turret press for the past 15 years. I've got 5 of them set permanently on extra auto disk powder measures for my old press.

They work great on the old auto disk powder measures with the square hoppers but I find they don't work as well with the newer Pro Auto Disk Powder measure. I get powder weights that are not nearly as consistent as the disks in the new one.

I think it's because the round holes in the disk line up with the round hole in the Pro Auto Disk where the adjustable charge bar has an opening that is not round and causes the drops to be erratic. It's not terribly bad but if you weigh you charges on some laboratory electronic scales that measures grains in hundredths you can see the weights are all over the place.

Lee used to supply the adjustable charge bar with the Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure but I see now that they've stopped doing that and sell them with the disk which could be because they're not as consistent as the disk.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Nice setup. They say a new Lee cast press is like driving a Mack truck with power steering. ...and yeah, that tube primer catcher is the cat's meow. :D

RandyP

Bearcat
It's a great press - I have all my calibers set up on separate turrets so caliber changes are a quick, economical affair. This year I added the terrific Inline Fabrication case kicker system to really simply case handling and improve speed.

Rook

Blackhawk
RandyP said:
It's a great press - I have all my calibers set up on separate turrets so caliber changes are a quick, economical affair. This year I added the terrific Inline Fabrication case kicker system to really simply case handling and improve speed.

Yep, same here. I've got all my dies set up on separate turret plates including the Auto Disk Powder Measures on 7 of the calibers that I reload so I don't have to change anything including powder charges.

Far as I know Lee makes the only turret press that no tools are required to change turret plates. Makes it nice to just lift the turret plate out and set another one in with the dies and powder measure already adjusted and start reloading another caliber in less than 10 seconds.

I load .380 Auto, .38 Special, .357 Mag, .38-40, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .50 AE, 500 Mag., .223 and .30-06.

pruger45

Blackhawk
Although the only Lee presses I own are a cheapo single-stage and a portable single-stage they are both great deals for the money. I mostly use a 60's vintage Lyman All-American turret, a Forster co-axial and believe it or not a 50's vintage Lyman Tru-Line Jr!

Latest posts