My New Flat Top 44 Mag Three Screw Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

Well, the title just about says it all. Although I bought my first Ruger way back in 1975 I am pretty new to Three Screws. I have a 3 screw Single Six that I have had for a number of years, and I recently picked up another one, but other than that I don't have a lot of experience with Three Screws.

I attended a big, fancy auction on Saturday. There were lots of really high end guns, including an original 1860 Henry rifle that went for $19,000, but my sights were set a bit lower. I went to the inspection and there were quite a few Three Screws up for auction. A couple of Single Sixes, a 45 Convertible, a 41 Mag, and SIX Three Screw 44 Mags. Yes, Six.

I could only afford one, so I handled all six of them to see which one I would go for. Three of them were early Super Blackhawks. The other three were Flat Tops. The three Flat Tops had 10", 7 1/2", and 6 1/2" barrels. It was really an amazing selection, but I had to go for just one. It was also a great opportunity to compare the different guns. I was running back and forth from one table to the other, comparing grips, hammers, and frames. The one I liked best was the 6 1/2" barrel. It was also the oldest, made in 1958. I really liked the smaller grip frame as opposed to the bigger Supers. I also did not like the hammers on a couple of the Supers. I picked it up and brought it over to the table where all the others were and handled everything, making sure that it was the one I wanted. It was a little bit more beat up, it had a few nicks and dings in the finish, and the sides of the hammer were stained. But I decided it was the one I wanted. Unfortunately, it was also farther back in the catalog, so if I decided not to bid on any of the others and I missed this one, I would go home empty handed.

When they came on the auction block, I was tempted to bid on the 10 incher. But it rose up higher than I wanted to pay, so I stayed out of the bidding. Same with the 7 1/2 incher. About a half hour later the one I wanted came up. The bidding was fast and furious, all the Flat Tops were hot. The bids were going up and getting close to what I had decided was my limit. The bids were just below my limit. The auctioneer asked for my limit and I held my card up and held my breath. Silence. It was mine.

Here it is. There is some beautiful plum on the loading gate, but it does not show up in these photos. The other two Flat Tops had wood grips, but I decided I actually liked these plastic grips better. They have a very slight reddish tinge to them. You can see the stains on the hammer in these photos. The SN is 65XX. Just four digits.

FlatTop44Mag04.jpg

FlatTop44Mag03.jpg

The next day I took it to the range. I had a bunch of 44 Special reloads, but I only had ten rounds of 44 Mags, a box of reloads that I had never completely shot up. I shot some of the 44 Specials first. From sandbags the groups were beautiful. Nice and tight. Then I lit off 5 of the Mags from the sandbags. The group was great, just a bit higher than the 44 Sp groups. Then I stood and fired it off hand with one hand with the remaining 5 44 Mags. And yes, I curled my pinky under the grip like I always do. No problem. Plenty of recoil but no pain. And the group was still nice and tight. I fired off the rest of my box of 44 Specials and took it home.

Tonight I decided to take it apart. I have been inside of plenty of New Model Rugers, and plenty of Colts and Clones, so I wanted to see how different it was inside than either of them. I also wanted to degunk it a bit because I suspected there was plenty of crud down inside. I took a few photos of the parts for future reference.

Here is everything laid out:

FlatTop44MagParts.jpg

Here is the grip frame. It says XR3 on it.

FlatTop44MagXR3GripFrame.jpg

Here is the Bolt. Yeah, I know Ruger likes to call it a Cylinder Latch, but Sam Colt called it a Bolt and that's what I call it. I was very interested to see how the Three Screw Bolt worked. The Colt part is a very intricate and difficult to manufacture part. It is also expensive. I am familiar with the bolt on a New Model Ruger and how it works, but I had never seen a Three Screw Bolt before. Leave it to Bill Ruger to come up with an inexpensive alternative. The part shares the same general shape with a Colt bolt, but it is a simple, inexpensive stamped part. It functions the same as a Colt bolt, but since a separate spring plunger on the hammer helps it operate it can be made much cheaper. Really cool.

FlatTop44MagBolt.jpg

I also took a couple of shots of the hammer, so I would remember how it is different than a New Model hammer and a Colt hammer. You can see the staining in these photos.

FlatTop44MagHammer02.jpg

FlatTop44MagHammer01.jpg

It's all back together now and sitting on the desk as I am typing this.

I do have a couple of questions. The ejector rod housing appears to be steel, not aluminum. It really draws a magnet. Is this typical of these guns? I kind of assumed they had aluminum ejector rod housings.

And does anybody know if the Bolt (Cylinder Latch) was a straight drop in part, or if they required any fitting at the factory?

Thanks, that's all for now.

americal

Hunter
A great looking FT --I have never taken down a Ruger :oops: Not to many days a guy would get a chance to bid on those 3 flattops--- 8) :shock:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Very good tutorial on your experience and success. Like your photos and descriptors. Yes, this gun was built with the steel ejector housing. Curious: What did the other flattops sell for? The 10" and 7 1/2" 44 FT are far less common than the 6 1/2' model.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I lusted after a .44 Magnum Flattop for many years. I have several opportunities to buy one but the price was always higher than I wanted to pay.

Congratulations! That is a nice piece.

In my case, I was finally able to scratch my itch. I bought a new 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum and got a VERY nice specimen. I also am a happy camper. I particularly like the steel grip frame. In my opinion, the original was a bit light for full house .44 Magnum loads.

QPachmaryRuger50th44MagSelects-0022.jpg

FWIW
Dale53

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Great FT and great blow by blow story of acquisition!

I agree, remove the staining on the hammer. You need to match the sandpaper to the marks already on the hammer, probably 600 grit paper. Place paper on a flat surface like a piece of glass or a table saw top. Slide the hammer in the direction of the factory polish marks until the tarnish is gone. And your done.

All Ruger ejector rod housings were steel during the period that the FTs were made; up to 1962.

You can get factory walnut grips for it from Brownells for about $40. They will even have the blackbird emblems. But to look like originals all you have to do is give them a coat of varnish or Birchwood Casy True oil. Then you can save the originals.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Good story! Thanks for sharing. I'm with Splitz, i.e. what did the much scarcer 7-1/2" and 10" examples sell for?

Ruger's Old Model cylinder latch is pretty universal with respect to fit in the various cylinder frames.

As stated above, one can "polish" that hammer so it looks brand new. I'd go for coarser "emery paper" than the posted 600 grit.

FlatTop44MagHammer02.jpg

Lay the emery paper on a really flat surface. Get a "guide", like a piece of wood 1/4" X 3/4" or so and figure out the "angle" required to match the existing polish marks on the hammer. Press the wood guide down firmly on the emery paper with one hand and push the hammer "to and fro" across the paper with the other. :D

Oh, yeah, now you'll be keeping an eye peeled for other Flattops...... :D

217501463.jpg

flatgate

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy Again

The 10" model went for $1100, the 7 1/2" went for $1400.

I think I'm actually gonna leave the hammer alone. There are a few small nicks and scratches on the gun, I don't mind a little bit of honest wear on a gun and the stains on the hammer fit right in.

Thanks for the tip about the wood grips from Brownells, I'm going to think about that.

And yes, I am constantly looking for Three Screws now. I picked up a Single Six at a gun show a few weeks ago. There were actually three to choose from. And I have a 357 on layaway at a shop nearby.

G2

Hunter
I am in the "Leave the Hammer As Is Camp"

My first Old Model was a Single Six, I tore it down lust as you have, fit a Brass Grip Frame and Cleaned the hammer Staining. Well long story short ,,,, I took of some Great Patina that does give it that "LOOK", a look that I desire, good honest wear

Nice gun, enjoy, I did enjoy your story, brought me back to my first tear down.

Here is a photo and I bet you can tell which one got cleaned up. :roll:
I also like to fit & shine the brass up, to perfection, and then let it go. Brass aquire's that nice "Patina" that I like.
I have since found a nice Stained/ Patina Hammer and fixed my booboo.
It's All about the Details... :shock:
P1010004-2.jpg

Nowata

Single-Sixer
The auction part of the story was fun to read, thank you. The tutorial on the disassembly was excellent, rather educational.Beautiful three screw. Congrats on the shooter. :D

americal

Hunter
IF that 10 inch was in good shape per-cent wise A good BUY :!: :!: :shock: I woulda dug deep to not let it go for that price JMHO :) the winner would have had to gone higher IF the right person was there again just my thoughts :lol: BUT you did good I could not have bid on any of them have OTHER commintments even if I had been there :lol:

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
I think my brother was at the same auction in NH. He was bidding on the white box super for me. When it passed 3000. plus I folded.
Charlie

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
I think my brother was at the same auction in NH. He was bidding on the white box super for me. When it passed 3000. plus I folded.
Charlie

Howdy Again

The auction was the Amoskeag Auction in Manchester NH.

http://www.amoskeagauction.com/

If you look up the prices, bear in mind they include a 15% premium for the auction house.

According to my notes the White Box Super went for $3000. The published estimate was it would go for between 1200 - 1800. So it went for quite a bit more. Don't really know why, I guess somebody wanted the box. The 10" Flat Top was estimated to go for 1500 - 2000. It went for 1100. A bargain I guess. The 7 1/2" Flat Top was estimated to go for 1000 - 1400. It went for 1400.

I was not interested in the 10" gun because I will probably use mine in Cowboy Action Shooting every once in a while. A 10" revolver is not very practical to carry and pull from a holster. Plus mine is older. Don't worry, I'm not gonna shoot it at every match, just once in a while when I want to shoot Smokeless. But I will shoot it. I like to bring really classy guns to a match every once in a while.

americal

Hunter
Ok :!: :!: that does make a BIG DIFFERENCE :arrow: in other words the om's top of the line :) are still a good investiment or holding their own in a bad money enviroment.

BowenBuilt

Bearcat
Of all single actions ever made the flattop is the best looking of them all. There is just something about the lines that, at least to me, just cannot be equaled. I love those flattops and congrats to you on your find. Thanks again for sharing.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Nice catch, glad you got the one you wanted. I know the 10" guns are highly sought after by collectors, but I've just never wanted one for practical use. However, my 7 1/2" flattop .44 is my absolute favorite sixgun. I got it pretty cheap a few years ago because someone had drilled three holes in the topstrap to mount a scope. I had John Gallagher make the holes disappear, reblued it, and put a steel XR3-RED size gripframe on it. Later, I found another very shooter-grade 6 1/2" flattop and had John cut the barrel to 4 5/8". Also had the gripframe color-cased by Turnbull, and also installed a steel XR3-RED gripframe. It's purty, too. Gotta get some appropriate grips for it.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Driftwood thanks for the thread. Your original post is as enjoyable as anything I've read in any gun rag for quite a while.