my new favorite carry revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tj1371x

Bearcat
So having done a lot of research on this site before purchasing and setting up my two carry revolvers, I finally got it all done today. I thank everyone on the forum for all the advice they post on here as it really came in handy.

I settled on carrying two SP101s. My primary is a 3" model, hammered, with CT grips, trijicon night sights, and it sits at the 4 o'clock in a SHTF-ACE 1 holster. My BUG is a 2.25" SP101, hammerless, meprolight night sights, stock grips, and it sits in my smart carry at about the 11:30 position (allows me to piss comfortably lol).

Carrying both of these has been pretty comfortable for me. I carry a lot of crap in my pockets, and I'm 5' 9" at 175 lbs. The weight of two SP101s isn't bad b/c the smart carry doesn't ride on my belt line, so the belt (a beltman) is only holding up my 3". This setup allows me front and back access. I can draw the 3" from the standing position pretty quick and the CT grips get me on target FAST day or night. The smart carry takes a little practice to use, but allows easier access to a firearm if seated (this can also be done pretty discretely). An added benefit of this setup of course is that in the case that I need to reload I can just grab the backup instead (although if I have to dump x5 .357 rounds at a target, I'm probably in a pretty bad way). The smart carry doesn't print at all, and the SHTF-ACE 1 is very similar to the Crossbreed Supertuck if anyone is familiar with that. Nice thing about SHTF gear is that you can order them from amazon and their turnaround is about 1.5 weeks compared to crossbreed's 8-12 week turnaround right now. Good quality hybrid holster in my opinion, haven't been wearing it long, but it seems like it will hold up for a good while.

Anyways, just thought I'd share this carry setup as some added info out there. I also carry x2 speed strips, a quark tac light, a spyderco delica 4 (amongst other crap in pockets). I currently carry Underwood 125 gr GDHPs that travel at 1600 fps in a 4" barrel (they definitely pack a whallop), although I am just getting into handloading and will end up carrying my own loads once I get the habit down.

eveled

Hawkeye
Hope you don't fall off a pier with all that in your pockets, you'll sink like a rock! LOL.

Glad you found what works for you and wish you luck. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum. Ed

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
If you can comfortably pack both of those, plus all your pocket stuff, that's great. I'm built about the same as you, and I have trouble concealing one revolver the size and weight of an SP. Two of them on my belt would drive me crazy. But with 10 rounds of .357 quickly accessible, you should have plenty of peace of mind, eh?

Jim Puke

Hunter
tj1371x said:
, although I am just getting into handloading and will end up carrying my own loads once I get the habit down.

Although, some folks will post to the contrary, carrying reloads for self defense is not considered to be wise. The common consensus is that there is the very real possibility that it would used against you in court should you be involved in a self defense shooting.

BTW, you da man...if you can carry all of that kit on a daily basis.

stevemb

Hunter
Look at some of the premium 130-140gr bullets. With some of the newer designs, you no longer need to go down to 125gr bullets to get reliable expansion. This does not apply to the DPX kinda bullets though, they are light but work. I'd even look at some of the 158gr stuff. IMHO. stevemb

TinStarFirearms

Single-Sixer
That sounds like quite a load out but I am glad it is working for you. I strongly disagree with not carrying a reload and in this case the OP has a second gun as a reload which is about as fast as it can get.

Andrew

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
TinStarFirearms said:
..... I strongly disagree with not carrying a reload and in this case the OP has a second gun as a reload which is about as fast as it can get.

The reponse is not talking about carrying EXTRA rounds for the purpose of reloading the gun after the original five have been fired.

He is saying that the original five plus any extras should be factory-loaded ammunition that has been purchased from a store, et cetera. He is making the point that ammunition carried in guns that may be used for self defense should not be ammo that has been RELOADED by someone other than a factory.

This question of "no reloads" for self defense is a very much (hotly) discussed topic here and on other gun forums.

Flash

Buckeye
NewportNewsMike said:
TinStarFirearms said:
..... I strongly disagree with not carrying a reload and in this case the OP has a second gun as a reload which is about as fast as it can get.

The reponse is not talking about carrying EXTRA rounds for the purpose of reloading the gun after the original five have been fired.

He is saying that the original five plus any extras should be factory-loaded ammunition that has been purchased from a store, et cetera. He is making the point that ammunition carried in guns that may be used for self defense should not be ammo that has been RELOADED by someone other than a factory.

This question of "no reloads" for self defense is a very much (hotly) discussed topic here and on other gun forums.

Prosecutors would jump all over that one for sure. They would portray Mother Teresa as a homeless crack addict if they thought it would lead to a conviction.

chup

Bearcat
Sounds like you have made a good decision to me. I also carry Two Snubs at all times. Sometimes the SP101 and a LCR357. Sometimes the LCR357 and a S&W 442. I also carry reloads. At least Ten, or Twenty extra rounds. After reading an article about how an old boy came to the aide of a Police Officer who was shot at a Traffic stop. The old boy held the dirt bags at bay until the Officers back up got there. I can't remember how many rounds he fired but, he did reload a couple times. Chances are I will never need my Firearm to save any one. If I ever do I at least want to be able to reload if I felt the need. As we have all herd too many times, better to have it and not need it ............, hope I never need it.